DAB Vs Virgin cable?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy R3 etc on FM but DAB only stations like Radio 6 don't give me the sound quality I would like, despite my DAB tuner and roof aeriel being as good as it gets,. I'm wondering if investing in basic DAC like the V-DAC2 to import Radio 6 etc from my set top box would provide much of an improvement?

I have no intention to connect my computer to my HiFi for internet radio

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
That depends. The ultimate limiting factor is the bitrate of the broadcast.

I have Virgin Media, the box is linked in via standard analog phonos to my hifi system, and I have to say the sound quality is very good, full-bodied and fairly detailed.

Whether it would give a more 'preferable' sound in your case would be entirely down to your own ears.

If I were you, I'd grab a spare pair of ICs and try the analog outs first before splashing out on a DAC... You may be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT Pretty certain I had to use a Scart adaptor as the box doesn't have its own phono-outs. These only cost about a fiver...

londonman

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about the actual source material? I know that many DAB commercial stations transmit at abysmally low bit-rates and some even in mono. Any idea what bitrate the BBC uses for Radio 6? And is it consistent or does it drop when they need to pinch bandwidth for another channel?

60kHz bit-rate and mono. ":DAB gives you better sound quality" lied Digital Radio UK.

londonman

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about the actual source material? I know that many DAB commercial stations transmit at abysmally low bit-rates and some even in mono. Any idea what bitrate the BBC uses for Radio 6? And is it consistent or does it drop when they need to pinch bandwidth for another channel?

60kHz bit-rate and mono. "DAB gives you better sound quality" lied Digital Radio UK.

TRENDING THREADS