DAB in cars

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've heard DAB in a car. It works fine for the 40 percent of the time it's not making a noise like someone simultaneously gargling mud and being dragged along corrugated iron by the feet!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a DAB radio in my Mini, largely because I listen to 5Live all the time! It does cut out occasionally, but reception is generally crystal clear. The SQ on MW in our family car is so bad my OH often asks for it to be switched off!

The most important things to do are:

a) Decide whether the stations you want to listen to warrant DAB;

b) Check the DAB reception in your area. Where I live, it's fine - others won't be so lucky.

A

Anonymous

I have DAB in my car and am generally happy with it although the coverage isn't as good as FM. I also use it primarily for 5Live. If you only listen to radio stations on FM then I would stick with analogue.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Just had DAB fitted in my car. Superb very happy.
smiley-smile.gif

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have DAB as part of the headunit in my car with a dedicated aerial and it is great - sounds good, no signal loss unless I am very remote and no pops crackles etc.

We have a Pure Highway in the van and it is average at best with bad reception even in the centre of town at times.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I also have the Pure Highway - which is good for what it is but having had to put it through my fm signal, the sound quality is average at best. Also, the aerial that comes with it is pretty useless - I got a magnetic upgrade that sorted out most bad signal problems.

Im also interested in a dedicated DAB head unit - preferably with an aux in for iphone playback - can you guys above please tell us what units you have gone for and price please ? And obviously if they are any good as stated.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have a JVC headunit - they have a DAB module that you can add on. It has a USB input as well which is exactly what I need. It has an ipod input too but I just use the bluetooth for that. Soundquality is pretty good, I have a decent amp on the back of it as well as decent speakers so the JVC is the weak point but I cant find anything that has the same facilities. Only down side is the touch screen - a real pain for the volume so I end up using the remote! I cant remember how much it was - it was the best one they do, £400 I think inc the dab module.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is a Sony 2nd generation for Ford. Best radio I have ever had in a car. DAB and FM reception is fantastic. I have also had the aux in connected so if I want I can plug an MP3 player into it. I doubt if I will use that much as the radio is a 6 disc player.

I bought this radio off ebay, but I am appalled at what Ford charge for these new, virtually £1000!!!! I shall now sell on ebay the existing Sony 6 disc player, these are about £700 new from Ford. I think this is an astronomical mark up as they can't cost more than £90-100 to manufacture.

TRENDING THREADS