admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking at getting a 'once in a lifetime' Cyrus system based around the CDXT SE+, DAC X+, 2 x Mono X 300 and 2 x PSX - R. What speakers should I go for? Have I missed anything vital?

A

Anonymous

Wow very lucky indeed
emotion-11.gif

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to; what's your budget and also what is the room like that the system will be going in (i.e. shape of the room, is it carpeted or wooden floors etc... furniture)?

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
You will need a DAC XP+ (not DAC X+) since this has a pre-amp built in...

Speakers; Dynaudio, Spendor or Vienna Acoustics.

PS Go for 'Brushed Black' Cyrus boxes, they sound better!

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much, and sorry for the typo. Should indeed read DAC XP+.

A

Anonymous

jmbonnett:Thanks very much, and sorry for the typo. Should indeed read DAC XP+.

Any answers to the above questions?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
If you can try and Audition a pair of Audiovector Speakers. They are known on the cyrus and naim forums for working well with these brands.

It depends on what you want, but personally I would get either Audiovector or, if I had a large room and wanted more bass, something from the Dynaudio Contour line.

Personally I like Spendor speakers, so these would be on my list too.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it seems people with Cyrus systems of that ilk go for the Audiovector (Signature?) or Dynaudio Contour. Some like PMC with Cyrus (I have DB1is but I fear they do not represent the full PMC sound), you could go for the FB1i or at this level you might even look at the FACT 8 (sounds like you may well have the budget).

At this level of cost, you absolutely must audition unless it is impossible. I would recommend auditioning at least twice, and preferably in the home (a swipe of your credit card will most certainly "do nicely sir") - you can't afford buyer's remorse at this price. But then again, maybe you can. Lucky you.

I recommend a browse of the cyrusunofficial forum for info on the above speaker and kit combos.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Oh yeah, Vienna Acoustics (as above) are apparently used to tune Cyrus - you can test them at Sevenoaks S&V if you live near one. Also as above, many like Spendor with Cyrus, perhaps to balance bright with smooth (I may be wrong).

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if those new amps are so good, try to hunt down a dealer with the dynaudio confidence range available for demo, bit pricey but if its a once in a life time buy you got to try the best around.

A

Anonymous

@hifilover1979

Room is 3.5m x 7.5m with the usual furniture, shelves etc. Carpets on the floor. Spendor and Dynaudio are on the list and probably spend around £2000.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
jmbonnett:

@hifilover1979

Room is 3.5m x 7.5m with the usual furniture, shelves etc. Carpets on the floor. Spendor and Dynaudio are on the list and probably spend around £2000.

From experience, you should give PMC a try; FB1i may well suit you perfectly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'd look at the X200's instead, and spend a ittle more on the speakers if this whole system is going to be long term. This will allow you to look at speakers in the £3.5k range rather than £2k, giving you a speaker far more in line with the system.

We have a huge Cyrus database of customers, and although there is a huge range of different speakers being used with Cyrus, there are one or two favourites. The biggest favourite is ProAc. In this case look at the Response D28, which produces a nice sweet sound with a pretty potent bass. Many people like them because they tend to reproduce most types of music, however badly produced, in a presentable way.

Secondly is KEF Reference. You could just about squeeze the Reference 203/2's, which are more accurate and precise than the D28's, producing a more even response across the whole frequency range. They're a little more upfront and attacking than ProAcs too.

Many people have chosen Spendor too. These are some of the smoothest speakers available, which some people like with the forward sounding Cyrus. Some like them as they tend to be less demanding regarding positioning. Try the A9's, which are an initially unimpressive speaker, but their qualities tend to shine through after a longer listening period.

PMC are also a popular choice, more by those who like the KEF sound, which is a little more direct. The PMC's have an energetic treble which produces plenty of detail in a very lively way, which is excellent for lower level listening. Try he OB1i's.

We did used to keep many Dynaudio products, but there are a few ranges that have just been hiked up too much, taking them out of contention when compared to more competitively priced products.

If you stick to the X300's, you'd need to look at the ProAc Response D18's, KEF XQ40's, Spendor A6's, and PMC GB1i's, which really won't be doing justice to such a revealing and detailed system.

You could always go ahead and get the X300 system, and pick up a bargain pair of floorstanders temporarily, and save up for better speakers further down the line?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree with David. If your overall budget is fixed, I would cut back a little budget from the Cyrus electronics and transfer it to the speakers.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I am jealous!
emotion-5.gif

I would agree about downgrading the Monos to X200 (in this price bracket would you also consider a different poweramp such as a Bryston...?)

I would highly recommend Audiovector S3 Speakers. I have the S3 Signatures, but the S3 Avantgarde (the next level up) would be more in keeping with the standard of the rest of the system - ribbon tweeter etc.

In another life....

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
It will be difficult to dem properly, but I would suggest that you try and hear the Harbeth HLS5 as well. They are a comparativly easy load on the amp, so you could use the X200 instead of the Mono's if you had to. I thought the harbs had much of the smoothness of the spens, with similar voicing overall, but they where faster on volume change, sounded better at low volume when required, and had a touch more attack and bite when needed. The downside is they are not as easy on the eye as the spens, and need stands.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help. Looks like I need to increase my budget and/or look at an upgrade plan to my final goal configuration - If I wanted to bi-amp in the future, with a further pair of X300's, what speakers would you suggest? Probable budget around £4000.

I might try and give you guys at Frank Harvey a call.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I demoed a few different speakers, and to my ears Spendor sounded the best with my Cyrus setup. As someone said earlier, they slightly tone down the Cyrus forward sound.

A

Anonymous

Tried a pair of the KEF Reference 203/2 with the X300 amps and they sounded pretty good. Just got to try and get a deal on the whole package now!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jmbonnett:
Thanks for your help. Looks like I need to increase my budget and/or look at an upgrade plan to my final goal configuration - If I wanted to bi-amp in the future, with a further pair of X300's, what speakers would you suggest? Probable budget around £4000.

I might try and give you guys at Frank Harvey a call.

Well the Reference 203/2's can take a good kicking, and they'll lap up amps like the X300's. We have some 205/2's reduced at the moment for only a little more - would be well worth looking into.

My other recommendation would be the ProAc D28's, which along with Reference are our biggest selling speakers (based on what people choose in demos). It's a shame the new D40R's are out of your budget as they promise to be rather good....

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
I recently upgraded to Mono x200's and with my sonus faber domus, they are a great match. I listen to acoustic, rock and jazz and while the sonus faber dont have the attack and dynamics for a 'rock' system they make up for that in the jazz and acoustic area which i have found is hard to match by dynaudios. i have not tried spendor or other brands. If you have the money, i would certainly look at sonus faber cremona.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts