Cyrus vs Linn sound

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone who's had experience of both Linn and Cyrus amps tell me how the 'house sound' compares? I have heard both described as lean and analytical (it took a bit of getting used to after Arcam, but I now love the sound from my Cyrus amp) - does this make them quite similar?

I currently have a Cyrus 8 xpd qx and thinking of changing to a Linn Majik DSM - mainly to add a streamer and bring the phono stage into one box. Can anyone describe what sound changes I might hear?

At the same time I plan to change my speakers to Neat Motive SX3 as in tests they sounded great with the Cyus amp.

Thanks in advance.

J

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Having heard the linn ds majik and comparing directly againgst cyrus streamline I found:
*that linn presents different sounds/instruments as if there is more space between them.
*I suspect a quieter background is the cause.
*that the sound change is more factual and a little less excited (Cyrus drive and slightly upbeat sound)
*that nevertheless I preferred the cyrus streamline above the linn in combination with Dynaudio speakers. Ie the match between speakers and amp is most important and the difference between them was not that great.

It's more about preferance and speaker matching than anything else imo.

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Having heard the linn ds majik and comparing directly againgst cyrus streamline I found: *that linn presents different sounds/instruments as if there is more space between them. *I suspect a quieter background is the cause. *that the sound change is more factual and a little less excited (Cyrus drive and slightly upbeat sound) *that nevertheless I preferred the cyrus streamline above the linn in combination with Dynaudio speakers. Ie the match between speakers and amp is most important and the difference between them was not that great.

It's more about preferance and speaker matching than anything else imo.

Thanks Superaintit, really helpful observations. Sounds like the difference was pretty marginal? What did you prefer about the Streamline and did you compare any other amps/speakers during that test?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I preferred the streamline purely based on sound in combination with a dynaudio speaker. There is something about that combination that sounds *right*.

I do believe that with the linn a closer look into the recording can be achieved, but the presentation is something I'd have to adjust to.
I didn't try other combinations of speakers or amplifiers.
I did however hear a meridian streamer-speaker combination that reminded me of the linn.
It also reminds me of quad. It's very factual and presented cleanly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts