cyrus upgrade?

deant22

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I have two cyrus products, the 8xpd & a PSX-R. I these to my Bowers & Wilkins XT floor standers (also bought in 2009 in Singapore). I have all my music through my mac mini or I phones.

The issue I want to solve is that the components get too hot when I have prolonged loud periods (unless I use my pioneer lx-81 to help). I am moving to a bigger house now and want to have a dedicated music room so I want the purity of the cyrus products, but wondered what I could add / upgrade with to solve the overheating issue. like to play tunes loud when the missus is not around.

:rockout:

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Is the amp actually cutting out through overheating, or just getting hot?

If i've looked up the correct speakers, they are 86dB/W/m sensitivity, so you amp is going to be working pretty hard at high volumes.

Any way to improve ventilation around the units? As long as they're not distorting or cutting out, I'd say they'll be operating within their specs and a bit of heat is not necessarily a problem...

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I used to drive my 86db dynaudios with an 8vs2 and it got hot in a fairly small room, although this never bothered it, adding an x power tho will really open up your speakers

deant22

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for this i think i will go for the x power and while i am at it upgrade the 8xpd to QX. Good idea?

To answer the previous posts the unit was overheating and then (quite rightly) cutting out.

All help massively appreciated,

D :clap:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The x power is a much better amp than what you have currently, so you definitely won't regret that upgrade.

personally I would buy a second hand dac xp or xp+ tho, rather than upgrading the 8xpd. You can get them second hand (try the cyrus unofficial forum if you aren't keen on eBay) for less than £1000, which if you sell your current amp will work out cheaper and sound better than the upgrade from 8xpd to qx.

i have had both and can assure you there is quite a big difference, and the dac xp+ with one x power will give a much better system. I was reeally surpised how much better the dac xp+ was than the 8xpd qx when i upgraded!

If your budget will stretch to a second x power as well (I got mine from fanthorpes Hifi second hand for £500, and the dac xp+ for £1000, and sold my 8xpd qx for £1000, so it may be possible) then you will have an awesome cyrus system and be a very happy bunny.

just my two cents.

deant22

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
What about partnering the DAC xp + with two Mono x200? i would have just the one PSXR.

Thoughts, i am looking for the killer system to play via mac.

Appreciate the help. Cyrus is great, but the combos are confusing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts