Cyrus Upgrade

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Cyrus Pre XPD, with an 8 power. Main music source currently is ipod via an Onkyo NDS1 Dock.

I have some available funds and need advice on what is the best upgrade path. May choices are as follows:

Add another 8 power ?

Add PSXR to either Pre XPD or 8 power, or both ?

Upgrade the Pre XPD to the QX DAC ?

Further down the line, I will use my main music source as either my Laptop or I may invest in a Cyrus CD Transport ? Which will give the

better sound quality ????

Thanks and look forward to the advice.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Get a Xpower and biamp with the 8power.Sell the cyrus pre get a m-dac use its onboard pre and feed it with a sbt or laptop.

Option 2 sell the cyrus pre and 8power get a m-dac use internal preamp to drive active speakers like Adam or Genelec.

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I want to upgrade in stages as funds allow. Have around £ 600 and will probably buy second hand. Looking at options, the QX DAC upgrade is £400, I can get a PSXR from ebay for £300 and an 8 power from ebay for around £500 ???

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Currently I have KEF IQ5SE, bi wired with QED Revelation Signature cable. Speaker upgrades will be later as I have these running with a home cinema set up and dont want to upgrade my 7.1 system just yet.

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Currently I have KEF IQ5SE, bi wired with QED Revelation Signature cable. Speaker upgrades will be later as I have these running with a home cinema set up and dont want to upgrade my 7.1 system just yet.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
If funds are tight have the 8power upgraded to Xpower or see how much a dealer will give you part exchange for the 8.

Id rather have a single Xpower than 2 8powers.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Agree with x-power route

Buy x-power on e-bay and replace your 8 power. Sell your 8 power then use these funds + a bit extra to buy a 2nd x-power. Then use these probably in mono mode??

I think the x-power route will give you a better improvement in SQ then upgrading the DAC.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I went from Smart power with psxr to mono blocked smartpowers both with psxr to mono blocked Xpowers both with psxr and a 8power is a Smartpower all but name and the difference between them is massive.

i prefer monoblocked Xpowers over monoX.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Sell the 8 power and with the £600 you should be in range of a pair of secondhand Mono X's (which don't need PSX-R's). Job done. :)

Of course you may then need to upgrade your speakers.

cheers :beer:

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
john dolan said:
Get a Xpower and biamp with the 8power.Sell the cyrus pre get a m-dac use its onboard pre and feed it with a sbt or laptop.

Option 2 sell the cyrus pre and 8power get a m-dac use internal preamp to drive active speakers like Adam or Genelec.

+1

Exactly what I did three (maybe four?) years ago.

When using the 8 and X together, use the X to drive the treble and bi-wire the speakers thus: 8 left and right drive left and right bass, X left and right drive left and right treble. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the treble actually uses more power overall than the bass, most of which's power is used for the big "oomphs" - bass drums etc. - not the constant mid and uppers. When you get to two X-powers, bi amp in twin mono mode. Works a treat.

PSX-Rs can be added later. They do improve the sound somewhat, but it's not like "night and day" (or insert forum cliche' of choice here). Start with the source (or closest to it) bit of Cyrus kit, then work down the chain from there. PSX-Rs go for about 300 quid on a "popular internet auction site" (showing the traits of my late - BBC Chief Engineer - grandfather there) and you can pick them up as and when the pocket money allows.

As for DACs, pre-amps, etc., the debate will go on about as long as a speaker cable debate. Only the flat earth debate has lasted longer than those.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the CDXTSE with psxr and my SBT using EDO for usb out into the M-dac sounds better than the cd.

The M-dac sounds better than my dacX with psxr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts