Cyrus Upgrade Choices

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for reading my very first post! I currently own a Cyrus CD6s and Cyrus 8vs integrated amp, which I run with Monitor Audio Bronze BR5's. I've had this system for about 8 years and I'm now starting to get the upgrade itch!

I've noticed a very good deal online for a Cyrus Pre2DAC and X-Power system. If I were to keep my CD6s and use it's digital out into the Pre2DAC and X-Power, would I notice a considerable upgrade, or is my cash better spent on a couple of X-Powers, using my existing 8vs as a pre-amp?

If I get the Pre2DAC, I plan to keep my 8vs to replace the ancient Arcam One, which I currently use with my Cambridge Audio DACmagic 100 and Q-Acoustics 2010i's in my computer room!

Many thanks in anticipation of your wise & friendly advice! :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
IMO the biggest improvement you'll achieve (out of the various possibilities you list) is with the two X Powers. They will give you double the power into your speakers.

BTW which speakers are you using?

Without question the speakers. MA and Cyrus do not go together.

Look at Dynaudio, PMC, Spendor... that would be my main priority. The 8VS is a good amp but both components can sound brittle if partnered poorly.

I had a 8VS2 on dem with my old RS6s and it just didn't work.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I just switched an Arcam CD72 for the Cyrus CD6 I have now, with a long-in-the-tooth 5 amp... My speakers are KEFS bought a little under two years ago, and I love them. It has taken a while to get them in the right position etc, but now I just can't wait to get home and put music on.... Now to save for a new TT!!!! I know the R700 seem to have some fans around here, but I've not heard them.... Of course, the standard advice is to listen to as many as you can and then pick! Have fun!

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much for the advice guys. So basically I should keep my Cyrus kit as it is, but add an X power or two and new speakers when funds allow?
Do any of you have experience of B&W speakers with Cyrus kit? Any new speakers would really have to be sub £1000.
Thanks again :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
In theory B&W should work with Cyrus but I'm not a fan of B&W to me the bass is all wrong. You really need to hear different speakers with your system preferrable at home. I would suggest Kef. I have seen PMC and Vienna Acoustics recommended for Cyrus but don't know if you will get those within your budget. Neats also worth a try.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cyrus amplification have good load tolerance, from the smallest 6 and upwards so speaker choice is more down to preferred tonal balance.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

Your speakers are fairly easy to drive and are reasonably efficient so they should go plenty loud enough with your 8vs.

If you want more detail/lower noise floor then your suggestion of separate Pre and Power amplifiers are one way to go but its an expensive one if you dont require the additional volume. Grip on the speakers will be improved but to what an extend I can't tell you and if they don't boom now and time nicely it may be a wasted exercise.

I use an 8vs2 plus PSX-R (another one of which I use on the cd player). It makes a noteable difference with regards to detail and coherence, everything just hangs together better plus bass is reigned in and tighter but faster. - It's a cheaper solution then going the pre-power way if you are happy with the power/volume available.

Spendor, Usher and to some extend Monitor Audio go well with cyrus. Personally I would look at something like the MA silver 2 if you like the Monitor Audio Sound and try a PSX-R first before handing over a lot of cash for a pre-power.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for all of your advice! I've always been kind of happy with my MA's and hadn't entertained the thought of changing them (until now!).

I think I'm looking for more detail in my music, and additional power and depth would be nice. I listen to all kinds of music, so the system needs to be flexible.

I won't deny that I also have an overwhelming urge for more shiny silver boxes!

Si

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts