cyrus smartpowerplus and smartpower

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I already have a smartpower, and have been trying to buy a secondhand one at a reasonable price. There were loads a few months ago, but few at the moment I do occasioanlly see smartpower plus for sale though.

I was wondering whether they are identical sonically ie can they be used in mono without ruining the sound ie smartpower plus drving the left speaker, smartpower driving the right speaker. I would like to hear from anyone who knows about this. I've been biamping for a while, but have no experience with mono splits. My instinct is that they are not identical.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Smartpower spec:

Power output Stereo - 60W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 80W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output Mono - 105W/CH (driven into 8 Ohms) 120W/CH (driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output stereo + PSX-R - 60W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 100W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output mono + PSX-R - 125W/CH (driven into 8 Ohms) 160W/CH (driven into 4 Ohms)
Distortion - <0.004%, (1kHz into 8 Ohms) <0.01%, (20Hz-20kHz into 8 Ohms)
Frequency Response - -3 dB at 1Hz and 100kHz
Sensitivity - (RCA input) 413mV (for 60W stereo into 8 Ohms)
Input impedance - 20Kohm
S/N Ratio - 112dBA (ref 60W)
Dimensions - (H x W x D) 73 x 215 x 360 (mm)
Weight - 4.6kg

Smartpowerplus spec:

Power output Stereo - 60W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 90W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output Mono - 110W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 150W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output stereo + PSX-R - 60W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 110W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Power output mono + PSX-R - 125W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 220W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Distortion - <0.002%, (1kHz into 8 Ohms) <0.01%, (20Hz-20kHz into 8 Ohms)
Frequency Response - -3 dB at 0.1Hz and 100kHz
Output Current - 30A peak
Sensitivity (RCA input) - 413mV (for 60W stereo into 8 Ohms)
Input impedance - 20Kohm
S/N Ratio - 112dBA (ref 60W)
Dimensions - (H x W x D) 73 x 215 x 360 (mm)
Weight - 4.6kg

These specs are from Cyrus web site. As you suspect they are different. I would carry on using them in bi-amp configuration and save up for a pair 8powers.

Cheers :beer:

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I assume you have a Smartpower and a Smartpower plus?

Used in mono the power amps can give more control and more volume, but I would not mix them due to the specs given in the above post.

I would only use identical mono amps for each speaker.

Bi-amping you can get away with using slightly different specs for the amps.

A friend of mine has a NAD system where the power amp designed to work with the integrated amp is of a higher output rating.

Unless you want to achieve a specific change because you are unhappy with your system it may be worth considering sticking with what you have for now.

Otherwise consider getting another Smartpower plus and sell on the Smartpower, or use it for the centre speaker in a surround system!

What is the rest of your system?

What do you hope to achieve?

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
thanks, I hadn't looked in enough detail at the Cyrus spec. it is obviously different in mono configure ration. I have only got one smartpower, so I am looking to improve the amplification. 2 mono X are unfortunately out of my budget, as well as 2 8 power amps at the moment

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
With a DACXP you need an amplifier upgrade to do it justice. A pair of 2nd hand Mono X recently sold for £1000 on Ebay. Just a thought...

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the encouragement Crossie. That is the plan, but I recently went over my limit to get the DAC XP at a bargain price secondhand.

There are some good bargains on Mono X, but even I can't afford them at the moment. I guess you need to spend good money on XLRs to. Which leads to another thread. What are the best value XLRs?

given that smarties keep their value I see having 2 smarties as a stepping stone to the fabled mono x in december 2012. Decent Price for a smartpower seems between 200 and 250, and smartpower plus 250 to 300.

It is interesting to see how different a sound you can get within the cyrus family. Having recently switched from an 8XPdQX bi-amped with a smart power to the DAC XP using the smartpower I'm finding it very different.

And yes the DAC XP is under amped at the moment

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have not used XLR cables as the new StreamXP has only phono connections and the Mono X's will take both so you won't need to change your cables on upgrading to mono X's.

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
thanks everyone, I now have bought another smartie to use in mono. the only decision I have now is whether to use the two psx-r on the 2 smarties, or the cdxtse2 and dac XP?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Try the PSX-R's both ways!

Try on the Smartpower's then on the CD & Pre.

When you try them give then a few days on both.

Make sure you give them a good listening session after a week of being used each way.

Repeat a few time until you are happy with the results.

I personally found my PSX-R made a huge difference to my aCA7.5 Pre amp, but nowhere near as much as a different pre amp. I use mine on my CD7Q as I only have 1 PSX-R. I would try them on my Smartpower's if I had 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts