Cyrus Phono Signature

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
The most complete phono stage ... probably ... ever.

If Carlsberg designed phono stages, for a grand, they would include a mono switch. :)

True but I believe mono pressings really need a mono cartridge/stylus for best results.

I don't possess either so could be wrong there though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't condemn it for lack of a mono switch but it would have been a useful extra that would have added buttons to the cost and detracted nothing from the sound.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
The most complete phono stage ... probably ... ever.

If Carlsberg designed phono stages, for a grand, they would include a mono switch. :)

True but I believe mono pressings really need a mono cartridge/stylus for best results.

I don't possess either so could be wrong there though.

My point exactly. For those that do run a mono cartridge, ie those that have just bought the complete Beatles collection and especially issued Ortofon cartridge, do not need to play them through something that thinks it's getting a stereo signal. :)

I rest my case m'lud. It's either complete or it isn't. An oversight on their part I fear as even some ancient phono stages had this facility. And who the hell runs more than two arms or cartridges?

Bonkers idea I'd say, your paying for circuitry your never going to use.

However, all said and done, it does look a funky bit of kit that I wouldn't mind trying if someone was to give me one for Xmas. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll be able to hear it 'here' first. The very first public showing of this long awaited product will be at our open event at the end of this month (Saturday 28th November).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As a cyrus system user I would love to add the sign. stage to it but unfortunately it is way out of my ... .

Still, cyrus, if you are reading this, I would be more than happy to try one and post my findings :)

Happy weekend children x

drummerman said:
As a cyrus system user I would love to add the sign. stage to it but unfortunately it is way out of my ... .

Still, cyrus, if you are reading this, I would be more than happy to try one and post my findings :)

Happy weekend children x

I think that's a splendid idea. Come on Cyrus, forget the normal biased reviewers, dish them out to joe public for some real criticism. :)

To be honest, ease of cartridge matching aside, I would really like to know how it stacks cup against my Tom Evans phono stage sonically.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Al ears said:
Don't you just love this free advertising. :)

Quick MODS, the screens!
Free? Depends how you look at it. We pay to advertise in WHF.

There are retailers out there that will do things far more blatantly than I do.

i don't know where the line is that shouldn't be crossed, but so often forumites suggest to the newbies that they should get to know a dealer and build up a relationship. I think it's good that some take the time to visit this place to share their knowledge, experience and opinions. Besides, the first public appearance of a new bit of kit is a news item ahead of it being advertising.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Quite.

I simply stated a fact, without embellishment, without hype, without excess. I don't really mind if a few disapprove of my presence here, as they're far outnumbered by those who get in touch for help. If I wasn't here as David@FrankHarvey, I'd be here as DavidF, me. And let's not forget, I'm only here as David@FrankHarvey due to being called Frank most of the time. I'll happily change back to DavidF, if some are more happy with the less blatant handle. It's not going to change a thing I say though...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
You're alright by me
thumbs_up.gif

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think David being here is a good thing too... It's nice to have perspective from within a part of the industry. It's not like we are forced to become customers of hifix by his presence! I think lots of us have been very clear about where we do and do not spend money, and to be fair to David, I don't recall him getting up a height over it....

I too have no problem with David's appearance on this forum and the valuable advice he offers, it is just that statements like 'you can get it at my shop first' only serves one purpose.

If he had, however, waited for it to arrive, listened to it and then offered a critique on here, might have been more useful.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
I too have no problem with David's appearance on this forum and the valuable advice he offers, it is just that statements like 'you can get it at my shop first' only serves one purpose.
But I didn't say "you can get it at my shop first", I said "you'll be able to hear it 'here' first". Inviting to listen and inviting to buy are two different things. I also didn't use the opportunity to post the store or company name in any blatant way, which was why I said "here".

Orders can be placed on the day though :)

David@FrankHarvey said:
Al ears said:
But I didn't say "you can get it at my shop first", I said "you'll be able to hear it 'here' first". Inviting to listen and inviting to buy are two different things. I also didn't use the opportunity to post the store or company name in any blatant way, which was why I said "here".

Orders can be placed on the day though :)

I'd love to come and listen but unfortunately 'here' is a little too far away. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS