Cyrus Mono X replacements: Mono X 200 & Mono X 300

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
They look good. But at a reputed £5k a pair for the Mono X 300, they need to be outstanding. The reviews should make interesting reading.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll be interesteing to try them with speakers like the KEF Reference 207/2's to see exactly what they're capable of....I'm expecting to liken the experience to being hit by a bus
emotion-1.gif

rbantges

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Prices appear to be £1700 per Mono X 200, and £2500 per Mono X 300. So a Fiat 500 for the pair of X 200, and a Ford Fiesta for a pair of X 300's.

Seems Cyrus are entering the same stage as Bryston, so they'd better prove to hold their own or I'll be switching my brand loyalty.

R

rbantges

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough:Yes indeed, we'll have an exclusive news story online first thing tomorrow morning.

Are WHF going to the National Audio Show this weekend? Cyrus are going to be demo-ing their new Mono X's there apparently..

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Andy Clough:Yes indeed, we'll have an exclusive news story online first thing tomorrow morning.

In fact, I've persuaded Cyrus to allow us to publish the news story early. Clicky

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I think Cyrus gear is great but I think they stick to their styling a bit too much. it looks really dated now.

I would have liked them to keep the general style (size, proportions, the characteristic cornered bump) but modernise the look a bit, e.g. smooth the corners, curve straight lines, nicer displays - make it less boxy and more interesting/elegant...

e.g. use a bit of this kind of curves but within in its own style

prodphto_dcs159.jpg

although that may make matching of upgrades difficult...

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ: I think Cyrus gear is great but I think they stick to their styling a bit too much. it looks really dated now.

Couldn't agree more. They look like glorified car stereos. Heck, I've seen better looking car stereos.

I get the impression they put so much investment into their 'special' magnesium die-cast cases (back when someone somewhere might have thought they looked good) that they are yet to pay off the investment. Or it's prohibitively costly to change the moulds.

With an inability to keep paint finishes consistent, poor fitting front panels etc. I guess they just don't care. If it sells why bother. Shame really. The 1000+ word essay in the brochure on magnesium should do the trick at reprogramming our perspective.

Still happy with the sound of my pre/power combo though (and yes the PreX vs can exhibit warmth).

A

Anonymous

rbantges:Seems Cyrus are entering the same stage as Bryston, so they'd better prove to hold their own or I'll be switching my brand loyalty.

My experience is that many people seem to progress up from Mono X to Bryston's - so it seems a logical move to go for that market / lost loyalty. Competition is generally a good thing. Out of my league though - let someone else buy them new and take the likely huge depreciation cut a few years down the line.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The initial tooling costs for the new Cyrus look back 1991 (if I recall correctly) were vast, even the tooling costs for the machine that makes the one piece buttons for the front something like a quarter of a million, or something silly. Obviously, they were looking at it a long term investment, and with the popularity of Cyrus, I'm sure they've recoupled those tooling costs a long time ago, but to change them again would probably cost them four or five times what it did back then. And don't forget, each Cyrus case is hand finished - they're not like most manufacturer's facias which are fully machined.

It's the same for any manufacturer - some like the design, some don't. Personally, I think it's good that anyone with a system from almost 20 years ago can update a piece or two without it looking out of place.

A

Anonymous

The WHF suggests that these are replacing the exisiting Mono X. Is this the case?

If you want to increase sales you've either got to introduce other products (the streamer for example) or extend your price range. Cyrus have clearly decided to go more upmarket. Seems like a good move if these new amps are really good!

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Well said Frank! :)

Honestly, the upgrade from 8-power to these has been beyond my expectations to the extent that i get withdrawl symptoms if i dont turn on the music once a day at-least.

Wanted to know what experiences others have had--perhaps start a cult following to these amplifiers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts