Cyrus/Linn System upgrade advice needed please!?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All (?), I've just registered here, need a bit of advice/few words of wisdom etc please.

I recently ventured into the world of Hi-Fi, and through some blind guessing on brands and some frantic bidding on ebay I have ended up with the following system;

Linn Mimik CD Player

Linn Keiliedh Speakers, connected with QED Silver Anniversary XT

Cyrus PreX, three Cyrus Powers and three Cyrus PSX-R's. Two of the Powers are configured as monoblocs and drive each of the bass units (one left, one right) and the third power is running in Stereo mode powering the tweeters.

I've got a mixture of Chord Crimson (connecting the Powers to the PreX) and Chord Chameleon (connecting the Mimik to the PreX.

I also have a couple of those Tacima CS929 conditioners which everything is powered from.

I'm fully aware that most of this kit is around 10 years old, maybe more. If I were to consider upgrading, where do I start? I am considering simply sending the Amps back to Cyrus for upgrade to X-Powers but this costs 650 pounds per amp!! How behind the times are these amps? Is there really that much difference that would justify such expense?

Also the Linn Mimik, if I were to go for a Pioneer PD-D6-J, would I notice a difference in playback fo redbook CD's? The reason I suggested that CD player is the SACD playback, I'm intrigued to hear SACD in action.

I've also considered the Marantz S15-S1.

And the Keilidh speakers, which speakers would I have to go for to get a significant improvement in sound?

Any help/advice appreciated,

Thanks!
Matt

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Dear Lord man, please say you auditioned these products somewhere before you blind guessed and bidded on Ebay? Or at least you got a recommendation from someone you trust that these components all work together?

If not, expect very little sympathy from this forum if it doesn't sound good!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
but how does it sound. the speakers are very good and the cyrus 3 is my favourite amp from that brand. so please let us know and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

A

Anonymous

Complete blind guess I'm afraid, I'd heard of Linn and Cyrus and that was my only bit of insight........

It sounds far better than the one box Aiwa thing I had from Currys, the set up actually sounds very good to me but then I have very little to compare it to. Maybe I should just go to a hi fi store an audition some stuff.......

A

Anonymous

I would be careful of spending any more on Cyrus, I heard a similar amp set up the other week and was taken aback at how flat it was, unrefined, and bass less, wasn't my kind of sound and thought it could be betterd for far less. I don't know Linn speakers so can't say.

The above comment is spot on, Ebay isn't the solution for buying audio even if you think you saved money, you still end up with kit that doesnt satisfy you, I see it time and time again, people buying and selling because they didnt do it right in the first place, either try to find peoples kit you can go and hear, or visit some well regarded dealers to hear before you buy, but dont use dealers to use their facilities and still buy of ebay.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
In view of the fact that you have already bought and pad for this lot, it would seem a bit silly to junk it and start again.

So the main question, what exactly are you unhappy with about it?, you appear to have bought it and want to change things straight away so I'm guessing that you are not totally happy about something.

How long have you had this lot- it may be that they haven't run back in properly yet, from personal experience Linn Hi-Fi does not like being switched off and can sound rough for quite some time after being switched back on.

Are your electronics mounted on a proper hi-fi rack?

How big is your room?

How are your speakers positioned within your room?

A

Anonymous

I have to say that I'm very happy with the way it all sounds, but as I mentioned earlier, I have nothing to compare it with, other than an all-in-one Aiwa box I had before. I probably spend three or four hours every evening listening to music through it, in fact , I have not switched the TV on in the evening since I bought this stuff.......

I've become interested in the world of hi-fi and thus I am merely wondering if I am missing out on something even better than what I have here. I wondered if anyone here had run a similar set up and could offer some upgrade advice based on their experiences. It's all very subjective I know, a particular piece of kit or set-up will not appeal to everyone, some may love it, some may hate it!!

I think I'll just go audition some other stuff and make my own decision!!

Thanks all,

A

Anonymous

I spent some time with a local dealer today, came away with a used Naim CD5 on loan to try out. Sounds better than my Linn Mimik but the biggest difference has come about by changing the amp configuration. Previously I had two Cyrus Powers in mono-bloc mode powering the LF side of the speakers and a third Power in stereo mode driving the HF.
I swapped them over, the monoblocs now drive the HF and the stereo mode Power driving the LF.

The difference is astonishing.

I listened to the Rega Apollo in the store and it sounded dreadful, really tinny and echoey.

I think I'll be investing in a new CD5i-2......

A

Anonymous

You should upgrade your CD player first as the Mimik has not aged well. Forget the Pioneer or anything Japanese because in your system it will sound bright and aggresive. Consider something by Arcam or better still LINN; try and get a used Karik 3 or an Ikemi. Ultimately you would be better served either changing the Cyrus for LINN electronics or changing the speakers to something like Spendor but ONLY if you are not happy with it. On the face of it this doesn't seem well-matched but your ear is the only one that counts. Finally; don't spend shed loads of money on interconnects and speaker cable, regardless of what some of the posts on here say. Get the system sounding right with what you've got first. Also tighten up the drive units in the Keilidh and ensure they are totally rigid, about 9 inch from the back wall and slightly toed in. Finally (and i mean it this time) try listening to it without those power supply things as they often spoil the way a system sounds. Not ALWAYS but often!

Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

Very bizarre thread. I'm convinced that 'Mattdcb' is a wind up. Either way, 'Rev' is wrong and I assume does not know the brand. Keep the power supplies as they are your only saving grace. Your speakers are a major problem in terms of synergy but don't follow the 'sheep' who suggest the likes of 'spendor','MA', et al.

good luck.

A

Anonymous

why would you spend all that money on ebay for kit and instantly consider upgrading it. i would say you got some pretty good kit there and should live with it for a good while until you start recognising what it is you like and dont like.

i wouldnt get too caught up with upgrading things for a while afterall you have jumped straight from an aiwa midi to a top end hifi. you seem to want to just chuck money around for the sake of it.

you say you want to see if your missing out on something, well of course you are, there is allways better kit and the next level but where do you stop, you have allready taken huge step

A

Anonymous

I can't quite believe what i've just read.but benefit of the doubt and all that. 'Blind guessing on brands' So you did NO research what so ever???? Your setup although not the most complicated i've ever seen but is hardly a set-up that you'd take a guess on without at least some kind of informed opinion!!! Where to start upgrading???? Well perhaps you could listen to your system for a while before making any decisions. I'd write down a list of things that you like and don't like about the sound and ask again in this forum and i'm sure the many good (and knowledgeable) people here can point you in the right direction. (it's been really informative for me and masses of others!). I would say though armed with some prior knowledge from reviews etc and then listening with your own ears is the only way you'll find out what is to your taste. Why gamble so heavily? To me it's pure madness. Good luck mister!

T

the record spot

Rev:

You should upgrade your CD player first as the Mimik has not aged well.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this amazed me; this is based on what? It hasn't aged well? It's one of the best used bargains out there! You can land one of these now for about £200-£250 and it's a very strong used buy contender.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts