Cyrus CD6SE a waste of money..?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently use my Pioneer DV757 DVD as my CD player through a Pioneer VSX-D2011 Receiver. The CD playback seems detailed but not quite 'full' in the mid-range.

Now then, I have a chance to buy a new CD player and wonder if the Cyrus 6SE would be a waste of money, given the receiver. I wonder if an Arcam CD player might just do the job.

I want to get the best CD player I can as it will have to do me for a number of years and the 6SE had such a good reveiw in WHF. However, I know the receiver won't be as musical as a dedicated stereo amp. It is a 5 star receiver in the £1000 category so I know it isn't rubbish but I don't want to waste money on a Cyrus, if I could buy and Arcam and hear no difference.

A second amp is out of the question.

So if you played a Cyrus and an Arcam through such a receiver, how much difference would you hear?

I will be trying then out myself but want to get reactions first.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
groberton:
I will be trying then out myself but want to get reactions first.

Well you certainly got a reaction with the title of the thread.....

I certainly think you won't hear the full benefits of the Cyrus in this set-up. Something like the Marantz CD6002 should suit nicely, though

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would worry about the brightness of Cyrus through an AV amp. You would be better off with a CD192, and you don't need an outboard DAC with the CD192 as it already has 4 Wolfsson DACs which are very very good. You are right in that you would be better off with a 2 channel amp.

A

Anonymous

I knew the thread title would get some instant views.

Thanks for the replies. I thought as much. The additonal stereo amp would be an issue due to space and useability. I need to keep things as simple as possible. I appreciate I am trying to do everything with the fewest boxes but I want to get the most out of what I have AND keep a happy family...

Right then google, find me some 192's.........

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:£400 at Lintone Audio and Sevenoaks, if they still have any left

I got mine off Ebay BNIB for £335, seen some more similar prices too recently.

A

Anonymous

hi clare, so whats happened to the flat earth society that said rubbish in rubbish out in the hifi press. and used to say the systems only as good as the signal its fed . spend - most- to start at turntable or cd first ,then amp, and last speakers.and cables

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well the digital revolution happened, for starters
emotion-3.gif

But the 'rubbish in, rubbish out' argument still stands firm - it's just that balance also has to be applied: in this case, a source like the Cyrus 6se is overkill for the stereo capabilties of the AV set-up in question.

A

Anonymous

And that Clare, answers my question perfectly.

I know I won't be radically changing things in the amp department, maybe going up to a Pioneer 71 ir similar but I needed to know at what point it tops out and spending any more doesn't offer any returns.

A

Anonymous

groberton:
And that Clare, answers my question perfectly.

I know I won't be radically changing things in the amp department, maybe going up to a Pioneer 71 ir similar but I needed to know at what point it tops out and spending any more doesn't offer any returns.

Spend some money on proper hifi - go on
emotion-5.gif
. Seriously, that point of diminishing returns is your decision alone based on how much to spend/how good it sounds to your ears......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts