Cyrus CD6s or Marantz CD6002 or

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Hoping someone can offer some advice on this.

My Marantz DV4100OSE has started freezing, sometimes after just a few seconds, so I need to repair it or get rid of it.

I'm thinking a decent Blue Ray player, (which I'll be getting in a few months), will beat it for DVDs, and with players like the CD6002 available at £200, I feel that I can also get a better CD player for probably not much more than the cost of a repair.

T

the record spot

Repair probably, as you say, as expensive as the replacement, or the money spent on it would be better going to the new source. Put it towards the recycling tip and think about the replacement; guessing £200-£450 is the budget and you'll find plenty going there. You might get some decent sounds off a blu-ray player, but a dedicated CD like the Marantz will probably top it and the Cyrus definitely so.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cyrus CD6 all the way for me...

Im not a massive fan of Marantz. It's too clinical sounding for my tastes.

My GF has a Cyrus 8 v2 amp, Cyrus XPower amp and the Cyrus 8 CDP (this was after having the Cyrus 6v2 amp and 6CDP set-up) and both CDP's were superb. I actually cant tell the difference between the Cyrus 6 and Cyrus 8CDP but my GF says that she can. It's her money so who am i to argue haha...

John Duncan

Clean it with a CD disc cleaner first, then decide. £3 from HMV. You might have to fiddle with it for a while if it's seriously skipping, because the instructions are narrated on the disc - usually you just have to keep forwarding the tracks until you get to the one with the brushes on it, which you can hear quite clearly.

A

Anonymous

The Cyrus CD6s is a far superior CD Player (mid-range) to the Marantz CD6002 (budget) - there really is no basis for comparison.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for all the advice.

The second half of my post seemed to have got missed off, though.

I've got the Marantz SR6001 av amplifier, and (full) Tannoy Arena 5.1. However, in the few couple of years, I can see me upgrading a fair bit in the next few years, maybe adding some "proper" front stereo speakers, (can't see me spending more than anout £1000), and upgrading to a more expensive AV amp, (probably £1000 - £2000), or maybe having a quality separate stereo amp.

I like a nice full, detailed, and clear sound, good mid-range, but also good energy with higher frequencies, (like the violins in "Shout to The Top"), and also good base in stuff like "Superstylin'".

I'm thinking stuff like the Rega Apollo is overkill. However, the CD6s is going for £400 at the moment, (bit more than a repair to the Marantz), but I'm thinking if it will offer me better sound now, fit better as I upgrade, (and it's upgradeable itself), then it might be worth the extra money, as it should last me a very long time? The lack of HDCD is a slight worry, but I'm not sure how important this is. Lack of CD text is just a niggle.

The Marantz it sounds like would be well outdone by the CD6s, if the CD6s suits my tatses, but I do wonder if, at £200, it would do me for the next few years, and I could treat it as throwaway when my system outgrows it. not sure what level of other equipment would make the Marantz the weak link.

Or is there another option I haven't considered?

I've rambled on a bit, (sorry), and hope the above makes some sense. Does the above change the generally pro-CD6s opinion?

Once again, thanks for the advice so far, and any more would be much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts