Cyrus amps, Rega DAC - speaker help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks

I'm new here and by no means knowledgeable re HiFi and I would appreciate some advice!

I have a Cyrus 8vs2 amp with a Cyrus x-power amp fed by wav files played through a Rega DAC and bi-amping a pair of MS Mezzo 6 speakers. The Vs2 is on the high freqs and the x-power on the low freqs. Swapping these over makes no difference to my ears. The sound has always been very detailed but less than involving. However in our new place, the base is non existent. The new room is small-ish and there is only one place the speakers can go - in the opening of our bay window. the speakers are 30cms from the side walls and about 1.5m from the rear half wall/large Victorian window. I've tried re-positioning the speakers as far as I can within these tight limits - no joy.

The interconnects are all Chord, I have decent power leads, speaker cable.

I've given up on this and I reckon the the best way to solve this lack of "presence" is with a new set of speakers. I think the room size dictates stand mounts or small floor standers. I listen to mainly guitar led bands - a lot of 70s rock and not a little heavy metal. My budget is from free to about £1k. I'd be glad of any advice from folks who have Cyrus gear - what works for you speaker wise?

thanks in advance

Nick

nmrg60:
Hi Folks

I'm new here and by no means knowledgeable re HiFi and I would appreciate some advice!

I have a Cyrus 8vs2 amp with a Cyrus x-power amp fed by wav files played through a Rega DAC and bi-amping a pair of MS Mezzo 6 speakers. The Vs2 is on the high freqs and the x-power on the low freqs. Swapping these over makes no difference to my ears. The sound has always been very detailed but less than involving. However in our new place, the base is non existent. The new room is small-ish and there is only one place the speakers can go - in the opening of our bay window. the speakers are 30cms from the side walls and about 1.5m from the rear half wall/large Victorian window. I've tried re-positioning the speakers as far as I can within these tight limits - no joy.

The interconnects are all Chord, I have decent power leads, speaker cable.

I've given up on this and I reckon the the best way to solve this lack of "presence" is with a new set of speakers. I think the room size dictates stand mounts or small floor standers. I listen to mainly guitar led bands - a lot of 70s rock and not a little heavy metal. My budget is from free to about £1k. I'd be glad of any advice from folks who have Cyrus gear - what works for you speaker wise?

thanks in advance

Nick

Hi Nick

Just to confirm you are not getting any bass in your new room?

Btw, what model(s) of interconnects, make(s)/models of power leads and speaker cables are you using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

The bass is there - but it is very lean or restrained. by very I mean very very! and the treble seems to be what I think folks term as "bright". My ears are probably not in particulary good nick after years of concert going - but the sound as it is sets my teeth on edge. The Cyrus kit was probably not the right choice for me but hey ho - onwards and upwards!

The speaker cable is Chord Rumour 4 and the Interconnects are also Chord (green jobs). I bought the speakers first and ran them as the front speakers in a 6 speaker AV setup - but then went to 2-channel and bought the Cyrus units. Stupidly - I didn't audition the amps with my speakers - the shop dem'd something "approximate". I also probably should have bought a psx-r rather than going to a bi-amped solution. Anyway - in this case - a fool was easily parted with his money!

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts