Cyrus 6XP amp with Celestion SL6 speakers - worth changing my speakers?

adelais

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, looking for a bit of advice on whether to change my speakers.

Current kit is: Cyrus 6XP integrated amplifier, Micromega Solo CD player (on a rack), Celestion SL6 speakers (from 1980s, on stands), Sugden cable (though I have some Chord Company cable to hand if that's better, I can't tell!). In a medium sized room.

It's actually a pretty good sound for an old stand-mounted speaker but some b****r has ruined me by playing Pink Floyd and Kate Bush at me through a Quad valve amps/Kef Reference speaker combo so I am looking for more sound stage/detail and don't know whether to tinker or just accept I'll need a big change of kit and an overdraft to get that warm but detailed sound. NB I can't go loud often due to neighbours so I'm looking for quality at low-medium volumes. I've been looking at the less power-hungry KEF floorstanding and stand-mounted speakers, current and retro. My budget's under £500 unless I'm also looking at valve amps! And I'm not looking at surround speakers or drum and bass sized ports, just two speakers one chair.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think the speakers should be changed to give your amp a rest! The Cyrus integrated amplifiers aren't the most powerful amps in the world, and like speakers that are a fairly easy load. Most of the Celestion standmounts were quite a low sensitivity and liked a pretty meaty amplifier in order for them to perform well.

For floorstanders, have a look at the Q Acoustics 2050i, Tannoy Revolution DC4T, and Dali Zensor 5. But, I suspect there might be one or two areas where more modern speakers might lack a little, and even though floorstanders will generally be more efficient, I'd have a look at other standmount speakers - you should get better quality from a standmount overall as floorstanders involve more materials, and sometimes more drivers for the same budget. Based on that, try the Q Acoustics Concept 20 and the KEF R100, which I think will be the best sounding standmounts under £600.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I think the speakers should be changed to give your amp a rest! The Cyrus integrated amplifiers aren't the most powerful amps in the world, and like speakers that are a fairly easy load. Most of the Celestion standmounts were quite a low sensitivity and liked a pretty meaty amplifier in order for them to perform well.

That is fair......and the SL6 are a definitely a tough load......but I would like to think they would be changed for something better; or get an amp that can drive them well (even if it means waiting until the funds are there)..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adelais said:
Hi, looking for a bit of advice on whether to change my speakers.

Current kit is: Cyrus 6XP integrated amplifier, Micromega Solo CD player (on a rack), Celestion SL6 speakers (from 1980s, on stands), Sugden cable (though I have some Chord Company cable to hand if that's better, I can't tell!). In a medium sized room.

It's actually a pretty good sound for an old stand-mounted speaker but some b****r has ruined me by playing Pink Floyd and Kate Bush at me through a Quad valve amps/Kef Reference speaker combo so I am looking for more sound stage/detail and don't know whether to tinker or just accept I'll need a big change of kit and an overdraft to get that warm but detailed sound. NB I can't go loud often due to neighbours so I'm looking for quality at low-medium volumes. I've been looking at the less power-hungry KEF floorstanding and stand-mounted speakers, current and retro. My budget's under £500 unless I'm also looking at valve amps! And I'm not looking at surround speakers or drum and bass sized ports, just two speakers one chair.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Welcome to the forum.

I am very famlar wth the SL6 as I own some (as does Busb)

FWIW. Provided they are in good working order, there is little under £500 that I would rather have.

Personally I would be looking at Kef R Seres / LS50s, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics or Spendor SA1s.....all of which are outside budget.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

That is fair......and the SL6 are a definitely a tough load......but I would like to think they would be changed for something better; or get an amp that can drive them well (even if it means waiting until the funds are there)..

Some used Mono X's would be the goal ideally. Some easier to drive speakers will be the cheaper option, but it is then a case of going for something that will be an improvement over the SL6's. And classification of 'improvement' will be down to the user - some may find that they need to spend over £1k to find something, whereas someone else may feel the Concept 20's an improvement.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Some used Mono X's would be the goal ideally. Some easier to drive speakers will be the cheaper option, but it is then a case of going for something that will be an improvement over the SL6's. And classification of 'improvement' will be down to the user - some may find that they need to spend over £1k to find something, whereas someone else may feel the Concept 20's an improvement.

Again, that's very fair comment.......I happen to like what they do (hence my comment), while others find them far too soporific; and he does seem to be after a Valve like sound.

adelais

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all, comments all fair points and helpful. Initially I am going to go with the additional power options - have already found some second-hand Cyrus kit (over budget of course) as I have heard the SL6s properly driven by quad amps in the past and prefer to keep the speakers as they are in good shape, but will also be open minded about speaker options in the longer term, especially as I'm getting the feeling there are some really good standmounts these days. The Kef R range and contemporaries seem well regarded, so will demo a few. When I've beefed up the power, I'll report back on the sound improvement with the SL6s if anyone's interested!

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adelais said:
Thank you all, comments all fair points and helpful. Initially I am going to go with the additional power options - have already found some second-hand Cyrus kit (over budget of course) as I have heard the SL6s properly driven by quad amps in the past and prefer to keep the speakers as they are in good shape, but will also be open minded about speaker options in the longer term, especially as I'm getting the feeling there are some really good standmounts these days. The Kef R range and contemporaries seem well regarded, so will demo a few. When I've beefed up the power, I'll report back on the sound improvement with the SL6s if anyone's interested!

Cheers

It's always good to hear how people get on with their adventures.

The more you "kick them up the backside," the better they will sound.....preferably with a clean sounding amp.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
adelais said:
Initially I am going to go with the additional power options - have already found some second-hand Cyrus kit (over budget of course) as I have heard the SL6s properly driven by quad amps in the past and prefer to keep the speakers as they are in good shape, but will also be open minded about speaker options in the longer term, especially as I'm getting the feeling there are some really good standmounts these days. The Kef R range and contemporaries seem well regarded, so will demo a few. When I've beefed up the power, I'll report back on the sound improvement with the SL6s if anyone's interested!

I think that's a good decision. You should be able to get a very good deal on second-hand Cyrus gear. Because of the multiple and incremental upgrade paths offered by Cyrus, the second-hand market is usually awash with it. For instance I've seen a couple of X Powers going on eBay well under your budget.

Could you get a Cyrus power amp on home demo and experiment with daisy-chaining? Just a thought.

Matt

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was in your position a few years ago with a 6XP and ATC SCM 11s. An X power should set you right. It did me, then I got into Mono Xs and that openned up whole new vistas.......

A second hand X power I should add.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi & welcome

I recently dug out my SL6s which are known to be a difficult load so to compete with anything contemporary, they'll need very very good amplification. They do have reasonably good if not extended bass & are not bright. They image well but are not hugely dynamic. Try using small round domed stick-on feet instead of the usual Blutak - stuck to your stands - try three of them.

Regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
Hi & welcome

I recently dug out my SL6s which are known to be a difficult load so to compete with anything contemporary, they'll need very very good amplification. They do have reasonably good if not extended bass & are not bright. They image well but are not hugely dynamic. Try using small round domed stick-on feet instead of the usual Blutak - stuck to your stands - try three of them.

Regards

Is there anything under £500 (new) that would swap them for?

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
adelais said:

Cheers

Definetly with a good large power amplifier your Celestion SL6s will shine! :). I have this beautifull vintage speakers, paired with an Yamaha AX-900 amplifier., and I can thell you the sound is.. unique :).Celestion SL6 correctly amplified have something special in the sound; I'm talking about superb natural human voices, brilliant details, and a very good bass for his small size. Corse, I'm very curious about your sound improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts