D

Deleted member 2457

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Just received this through the subscription channel of Steve Guttenberg the audiophooliac

https://youtu.be/rpXIru0fxwY

Oops just noticed anormusic's post...I'm late.
The thing is there isn’t another Oppo - really!
regular_smile.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Sad news i have only had my OPPO 205 for 5 months i did not think that this would happen its shocking news *sad*
The WHF report says they'll still support customers for a good while, so I hope you'll be ok.

I was shocked too, as they've had a string of rave reviews for almost everything - headphones, players and DACs - even if our hosts weren't as keen as everyone else on the latest DAC.

For the payers, even ignoring the doubtless excellent video qualities, I can't think of anywhere else you can get superior audio DACs with SACD abilities and streaming/NAS support.

The only consolation for me is that used models might drop a bit in price!
I do not really understand there decision really it’s a very big disappointment because no one makes the same quality player on the market but Oppo .

I went on YouTube and a couple of reviewers said there guess is things like other steaming sites like Amazon, Netflix , iTunes has killed off Oppo because people are not buying physical media much now and the fact that not meany people want to spend £800 on a Oppo blu-ray player when you could buy a Sony for half that which makes sense but Oppo is a different level of quality then a Sony I feel .

it makes you think who else is going to pull the plug on something as we are living in some funny times at the moment with big companies going under

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
it makes you think who else is going to pull the plug on something as we are living in some funny times at the moment with big companies going under

Scary to think that at any moment anyone could pull the plu -

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
On the bright side there may be a price cut now
some of the YouTube reviewers where thinking that some people might go out and buy a second unit as backup or even the prices might go up on sites like eBay because they felt that it would be a sort after product .

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Just happy to see yet ANOTHER Over-Priced lot go to that preverbial wall, so to speak.

WHY on God's earth did this company OVER-PRICE their good SOO MUCH for anyway ?

I said elsewhere, I HOPE ALL Over-pricing companies hit the wall..... best thing for em, though I feel for their workers.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
On the bright side there may be a price cut now
some of the YouTube reviewers where thinking that some people might go out and buy a second unit as backup or even the prices might go up on sites like eBay because they felt that it would be a sort after product .

Bad news
I'd rather sell it and get a Sony or keep it until it breaks
If ever

Alantiggger said:
Just happy to see yet ANOTHER Over-Priced lot go to that preverbial wall, so to speak.

I said elsewhere, I HOPE ALL Over-pricing companies hit the wall..... best thing for em, though I feel for their workers.
First of all, if you look at the components that go in the Oppo, its not overpriced as you may think. Otherwise everything around you will be cheap plastic tat. Secondly, Oppo is a $100 billion company. So it's not as if they've gone bankrupt. All the employees will be reabsorbed into other departments. They're merely realigning their priorities.

bigboss said:
Alantiggger said:

First of all, if you look at the components that go in the Oppo, its not overpriced as you may think. Otherwise everything around you will be cheap plastic tat. Secondly, Oppo is a $100 billion company. So it's not as if they've gone bankrupt. All the employees will be reabsorbed into other departments. They're merely realigning their priorities.

+1

Blacksabbath25 said:
Sad news i have only had my OPPO 205 for 5 months i did not think that this would happen its shocking news *sad*
The WHF report says they'll still support customers for a good while, so I hope you'll be ok.

I was shocked too, as they've had a string of rave reviews for almost everything - headphones, players and DACs - even if our hosts weren't as keen as everyone else on the latest DAC.

For the players, even ignoring the doubtless excellent video qualities, I can't think of anywhere else you can get superior audio DACs with SACD abilities and streaming/NAS support.

The only consolation for me is that used models might drop a bit in price!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Alantiggger said:

I don't know anything at all about oppo, don't even know what it is, but I agree with your sentiments. Imo the failings of hmv, and Maplin. Wrong pricing strategy. CDs should have been priced at a few pounds max to massively increase sales, and all Maplin sold was electrical items, so surely they were buying stuff at a well reduced price. Did they pass on any of these reductions to encourage shoppers to come to them and not anywhere else....? No they didn't. Ta ta!

radiorog said:
Alantiggger said:

I don't know anything at all about oppo, don't even know what it is, but I agree with your sentiments. Imo the failings of hmv, and Maplin. Wrong pricing strategy. CDs should have been priced at a few pounds max to massively increase sales, and all Maplin sold was electrical items, so surely they were buying stuff at a well reduced price. Did they pass on any of these reductions to encourage shoppers to come to them and not anywhere else....? No they didn't. Ta ta!

Que?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I didn't know Maplin was closing down better get the black tie back on

where are people going to buy 4000 different connectors and their cheap DJ equipment now??

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I didn't know Maplin was closing down better get the black tie back on

where are people going to buy 4000 different connectors and their cheap DJ equipment now??

Pro music shops and electrical wholesalers, much better than Maplins and hifi shops.

Maplin used to be a decent cheap supplier, that unfortunately got too big for its boots, and started to charge too much for plastic tat. And for that, got what it deserved

And practically everyone that worked at it’s depot at Dearne valley was a **** .

nopiano said:
We are getting confused here, peeps! Oppo has announced an intention to stop making Hi-Fi hardware. Their huge business is more profitable in the multi million $ cell phone market.

They haven’t folded like Maplins.

Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately they appear to be concentrating on cell phones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts