Creek T50 (looking at alternatives

Does anyone have experience with this tuner?

Read some reviews and it is rated very highly for pure SQ and ease of signal. If I see one s/hand at the right price I might just take the chance. The Denon is fine sound-wise, although no better than the Marantz.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You have frequently mentioned how marginal the reception is in your area. So ensure the sensitivity of the new tuner is at least as high as your Denon.

Useful specs, test results and reviews for both models in a group test....

Clicky

(Usefully, the Creek has a mono button for the worst performing stations, I can't remember if the Denon has one or not.)

can anyone recommend a FM or hybrid tuner that will be a substantial upgrade to the Denon. Don't really want to spend a load of money as FM will be defunct within a few years, so s/hand choices seem the obvious.

Been looking at Arcam DT91 but I've only heard it once at a dealers when the Marantz was given an MOT.

Been looking for weeks for a Creek T50 to no avail. Wouldn't want to spend anymore than £300 or thereabouts.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi PP

Had you considered internet radio? Im not sure of the SQ compared to a tuner? Sounds pretty good to me. I suppose it depends on the bit rate different stations broadcast. The BBC stations are pretty good.

You could use a Sonos ZP90 or Sonos Conect to connect to the Leema and you could also use it to stream music when your feeling lazy!

Just a thought.

boggit said:
Hi PP

Had you considered internet radio? Im not sure of the SQ compared to a tuner? Sounds pretty good to me. I suppose it depends on the bit rate different stations broadcast. The BBC stations are pretty good.

You could use a Sonos ZP90 or Sonos Conect to connect to the Leema and you could also use it to stream music when your feeling lazy!

Just a thought.

Yes, have considered internet many times. Isn't practical for my bungalow, not without considerable investment. For the timebeing it'll be bog standard FM tuner or digital/FM.

Thanks.

NB: How's the Leema/PMC combo sounding?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes very good. Noticed my head and feet bobing up and down.

Heard a Sultans of Swing on the radio (via internet!!) so i thought I would give Brothers in Arms a blast, Money for Nothing boy oh boy did it sound good so much power and that guitar was nearly in the next room on the left!. Seperation and imaging are superb I have my Leema balanced on the sofa directly opposite me and at times you could swear the lead singer was sat on top of it singing. Its a really funny one trying to describe or hear why its better ive literally just had to go and listen again its really suttle instuments are individually placed and oh i dont know but its really enjoyable. One of the things that appealed about the Leema was its origional RRP and your enthusiasum for it! Plus it was different plus it was not 6-7 years old meant best of both worlds.

(dont ask i moved the HiFi kit from our main living lounge (wooden floors 2 patio doors) into our "posh lounge" carpets and lots of soft furnishings, but the speaker cables are not long enough to put the amp on the side, plus its down the other end of the house so i can go and listen on my own!)

I did plug the Rotel back in and I have to say it was blinking good. Though on changing back i could definatley here tighter bass and the amp just seems quicker. I think this is half my problem with auditioning its really difficult without doing your own thing on the dem to really understand or appreciate what the system will give you. Ive got to say it certainly plays louder without any problems in control or cutting out due to heat!!.

Back to your radio thing, I'm really enjoying listening to the radio through it, im not sure who it was but they commented thats what you get with monitor type speakers. Also i didn't get the investment needed thing? What do you mean?

Pleased you're still enjoying the new bundles.

Right, my PC is in the bedroom due to the fact that's the only room to have a suitable socket. To get internet radio, and to save on miles of cables, I'll need to pay someone to rig another suitable socket in the living room. As I don't want our daughter to be on the PC or laptop (almost) every waking hour, the laptop needs to be stored out of sight.

So by the time I invest in a laptop, get the sockets added or moved these are little extras I can do without. Also, I wouldn't want the hassle just for radio, it would be handy to stream music rather than traditional CD. I'll need a NAS + streamer... the list goes on.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok here you go, Sonos bridge in bedroom connected by wire.

Sonos ZP90 or Connect next to the Leema.

Control radio via PC in bedroom or if you have an iPhone or android phone.

Radio done.

As for streaming you don't need NAS just rip CD's to your PC.

Controlled as radio.

later when you're loving steaming just add Spotify even if you just use it it to try new music.

I did the same this weekend went to a friends BBQ normally have a 99p dock, took my Play 5 and bridge.

bunged the bridge into there router took the play 5 outside, instant blaring music searched Spotify for summer party found a album of 120 summer tracks and we spent all afternoon guessing the artist track, got quite competitive.

Cost new Connect £279 Bridge £38

boggit said:
Ok here you go, Sonos bridge in bedroom connected by wire.

Sonos ZP90 or Connect next to the Leema.

Control radio via PC in bedroom or if you have an iPhone or android phone.

Radio done.

As for streaming you don't need NAS just rip CD's to your PC.

Controlled as radio.

later when you're loving steaming just add Spotify even if you just use it it to try new music.

I did the same this weekend went to a friends BBQ normally have a 99p dock, took my Play 5 and bridge.

bunged the bridge into there router took the play 5 outside, instant blaring music searched Spotify for summer party found a album of 120 summer tracks and we spent all afternoon guessing the artist track, got quite competitive.

Cost new Connect £279 Bridge £38

Okay, thanks Boggit. I'll look into Sonus and the rest you've mentioned tomorrow.

I've heard ripped cd via Olive 3, and that is one ugly piece of equipment.

At the mo the Leema, Naim and RS6s have the oooo factor. The Naim being the latest edition, so looking at radio and turntable next. The speakers, I've decided, are so good for a £600 floorstander that new speakers are now last on the "hi-fi to do" list.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No Probs just to clarify all you need is the 2 Sonos bits. Nothing else.

I'm sure you have an extra set of interconnects in that cupboard of yours to connect it to the Leema.

RS will do them both for less than £300.

You can have it up and running in 10 mins! It really is that easy.

How close are you to Cheltenham? I could always bring mine along for you to listen.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
boggit said:

To make it even easier, it's this.

Me missus streams Radio 4 into the kitchen every morning with just a couple of clicks on her phone.
hi professorhat that link is not working, like the aviator!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
boggit said:
professorhat said:
boggit said:

Me missus streams Radio 4 into the kitchen every morning with just a couple of clicks on her phone.
hi professorhat that link is not working

Works okay for me...

boggit said:
like the aviator!

Ta - have had it for a while now so might have to think about changing it soon!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
boggit said:
professorhat said:
boggit said:

hi professorhat that link is not working

Works okay for me...

boggit said:
like the aviator!
Yep works on my PC, perfect job done!

professorhat said:
boggit said:

Spoke to Richer Sounds and he said the Sonos Connect and bridge is a doddle, and the SQ is excellent IHO. Once little'un breaks up for the summer holiday (around two weeks) I'll trundle down there and try on a home trial.

Thanks, Prof.

EDIT - is there an iPhone you or anyone can recommend?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
iPhone - well, technically all you need is the iPhone 4 to get the Sonos app up and running, but then this is an old phone and support for it will end sooner. There's an iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5 is the current one - they all run essentially the same OS so are pretty much of a muchness (the iPhone 5 has a bigger screen), but some features of the new iOS7 due in September won't work on the 4S (can't remember exactly what they are, but can find out if you need to). An iPhone 5S / 6 (whatever they decide to call it) is also due out in September.

If this is just for the Sonos app thouugh, you could also consider an iPod Touch, or an Andriod phone / tablet as there is now a Sonos app for Android.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts