Cracked it! The perfect speaker cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's the NACA5.

Should have twigged ages ago, when accompanying a friend looking for speakers for his Naim gear. We only went to dealers who carried Naim, and they always set up the systems with NACA5 cable.

The majority of Naim owners use NACA5 cable partly because it's what Naim make and recommend, but also because in the case of older Naim amplifiers it's a requirement.

The effect of having a cable geared towards the amplifier and not the speakers is to give a level playing field to all speakers used with it. No more using a cable to bring out the qualities of a speaker (taming treble, cleaning up the bass etc), it's the speaker that has to bring out the qualities of the amplifier and cable combination. Whether that speaker is inclined towards the warm or the ruthlessly revealing doesn't matter, the point is that it must work with the amplifier and cable combination.

Thinking about it further, this is the way it should be. The speaker cable should be entirely transparent in combination with the amp, just as it should with the speakers. Using a cable to try to tune a system implies that the speaker does not match the amplifier and cable combination to begin with.

Extending Naim's philosophy further, it is not just the amplifier and cable combination that needs to be seen as a single unit, but the speaker and cable combination, too. The constant therefore is always the cable.

What I'm suggesting is the cable becomes effectively becomes the constant when combined with the source or output media. So,if, for example, upgrading the amp, you would try it with the existing cable/speaker combination, and if looking to upgrade the speakers, then you'd audition them with the existing amplifier and cables.

Thinking about it, there's no sense in doing otherwise. Continuing with the speaker upgrade example, you should always try speakers with the same amp+cable combination, as that combination is the point of reference. If the sound seems to lack a minor something, as in the treble is slightly forward or whatever, then the worst thing to do is to swap in a different cable, since you no longer have a point of reference. Instead, change speakers until you find a good match. The same obviously applies when looking for a new amplifier, it should be auditioned with the same cable. It's a test pair strategy, where the cable is the one constant.

I'm not really sure if the NACA5 is the best cable around, but I like the idea behind it. Neither am I suggesting everyone buys Naim or NACA5, more that speaker cable is bought only once, after which it becomes part of the test pair. After all, I presume What Hi*Fi tests in just this fashion, and makes recommendation from their reference cable/component set.

This methodology may not be good news for cable manufacturers but it is for manufacturers of amplifiers and loudspeakers. There's another big plus, too. Were everyone to adopt a cable-constant strategy, there'd be no more endless cable debates on HiFi forums.

matthewpiano

NACA5 is superb cable and works better than anything else with Naim gear. I sold mine after changing from a Nait 3 though because it never seemed as good with non-Naim electronics.

I can't see myself changing the Chord Rumour 2 now, so maybe I've adopting a 'cable-constant strategy' as well!

A

Anonymous

I too can confirm that NAC5 is a very good cable, I also agree with the OP that keeping the same cable is paramount when changing speakers or amp.

When I had ARCAM amp and cd I used QED silver aniversary which was an excellent combination, but when I changed to NAIM it was too bright, I changed to NACA5 it is now very well balanced and an beautiful combination...........

idc

MENISCUS:

I too can confirm that NAC5 is a very good cable, I also agree with the OP that keeping the same cable is paramount when changing speakers or amp.

When I had ARCAM amp and cd I used QED silver aniversary which was an excellent combination, but when I changed to NAIM it was too bright, I changed to NACA5 it is now very well balanced and an beautiful combination...........

I am a bit lost here. MENISCUS, you say you agree with Tarquinh that speaker cable should be the constant, but you changed your speaker cable.

Tarquinh, are you saying that it is possible to have the perfect speaker cable and that the amp and speakers should be based around it?

I think that the speaker cable you have is important enough when auditioning new kit that I have turned up with a plastic bag with my cable in it, as the shop did not sell it. But I would not build a system around cable, I would do it the other way around as the sound difference between kit is far larger than between cables.

A

Anonymous

idc:MENISCUS:

I am a bit lost here. MENISCUS, you say you agree with Tarquinh that speaker cable should be the constant, but you changed your speaker cable.

Tarquinh, are you saying that it is possible to have the perfect speaker cable and that the amp and speakers should be based around it?

I think that the speaker cable you have is important enough when auditioning new kit that I have turned up with a plastic bag with my cable in it, as the shop did not sell it. But I would not build a system around cable, I would do it the other way around as the sound difference between kit is far larger than between cables.

What I mean is that when I had the ARCAM well known for having a warm sound the QED suited it perfectly, but when changing to NAIM which is a lot more upfront the NACA5 was a perfect match,

what I'm saying, never change 2 items at once or you will never know what makes the difference ie keep the cable as a constant and only change that as a fine tune, hope thats a bit clearer.............

idc

MENISCUS:....what I'm saying, never change 2 items at once or you will never know what makes the difference ie keep the cable as a constant and only change that as a fine tune, hope thats a bit clearer.............

Thanks, MENISCUS and totally agree with you, one change at a time or you may as well give up and start again from scratch.

A

Anonymous

What I'm saying is that, as idc suggested, your cable goes along to demos with the piece of equipment which isn't being changed, be it amplifier or speaker, and that remains the case for the next upgrade, the one after etc etc. In other words, once you have a cable which meets your criteria, and here I'm assuming cables do make a difference to the sound, then as it is the constant your system, basically you do not change it. Obviously there may be the odd exception based on the equipment manufacturer's recommendation or degradation over time, but otherwise it remains the glue in your system.

Look at the Naim example. Naim users upgrade from the budget Nait gear to equipment whose price would buy you a decent Jaguar, all without changing cable. Obviously there are exceptions, but by linking the cable to the amplifier, Naim have taken the cable out of the upgrade equation for most users.

Again, look at What HiFi. They test on certain cables and equipment. If they test on speakers, cables and amps used for previous tests don't change. Similarly for amplifiers, then its the speakers and cables that don't change. If either the test cable or amp/speakers were to change, then gone is the point of reference to provide an accurate comparison with another item being tested.

Obviously not changing two items at once makes sense, unless you want a totally new system, but its important to realise, as in the Naim and WHF examples, that the cable isn't one of those items.

By the way, the implication is as Matthewpiano suggests: cable first isn't a bad way to select your system at all.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Look at the Naim example. Naim users upgrade from the budget Nait gear to equipment whose price would buy you a decent Jaguar, all without changing cable

I think that says far more about Naim products, the Naim philosophy/religion and Naim users than anything relating to the NACA5 and its qualities as a speaker cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts