Couple of speaker cable questions

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
1. How long is too long? i'm in the process of setting up my surround sound system. All the hardware (except the TV) will be located in the garage next door to the lounge. This means that the cable runs to a couple of my rears will be circa 25m. Will this be okay? Anyone got any cable recommendations for this (though I'm low on funds having already over spent on the receiver and TV)

2. The setup is going to be 7.1. The rears on the left hand side of the room are required significantly less cabling (probably 10m max). Should I just cable them up with the amount of cable required or should I make the cable lengths the same as the other rears.

All advice appreciated.

Regards

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
1. This stuff looks ideal:

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/index.php?pageLayoutId=28

Over long lengths you should be looking at thicker cabling particularly with lower impedence loads e.g. 4ohm.

2. If you use good thick cable, I don't see why you can't stick to the correct sized cable. Another reason to use thicker cable!

I'll see if I can dig out a handy article on the subject. I thought I had it bookmarked but don't.

A

Anonymous

2. Each pair of speakers should have the same length of cable

A

Anonymous

smee:2. Each pair of speakers should have the same length of cable

Not so critical IMO. The resistance of 2.5 sq mm copper is about 1 ohm per 150mtrs. A difference in length of 10mtrs is going to affect the resistance by approx 0.0666 ohms. Can't really see that making too much difference, unless using really small cable.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BluMonday:smee:2. Each pair of speakers should have the same length of cable

Not so critical IMO. The resistance of 2.5 sq mm copper is about 1 ohm per 150mtrs. A difference in length of 10mtrs is going to affect the resistance by approx 0.0666 ohms. Can't really see that making too much difference, unless using really small cable.

It's been a recommendation from those in the know since I first started buying WHF. I've also seen other people on the forum not take the advice and swear it doesn't matter. From what I can tell, this really is a decision only you can make.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
With regard to cable length:

For a stereo set up cables should be equal length and speakers equidistant from the main listening position (It is probably psychological, but I swear I could hear the difference!) but a modern AV receiver will calibrate the sound so that the length of cable or indeed the position of the speakers, is less critical. IMHO obviously.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Also, the impact of potential interference on 15m of spare cable (presumably coiled in the garage) would potentially outweigh the benefit of equal lengths.

But as always "Trust Your Own Ears" - maybe we should we invent an ancronym of TYOE.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually going to go with equal(ish) lengths cable for the surrounds - even if it is coiled up a bit in the garage. Then if I need to shorten it at a later date or ears tell me to then that's easy enough. Ran cable for two of the surrounds today (the hardest to get to). Took me all afternoon but everything is neat and largely not visible, even got wife approval factor.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on this

TRENDING THREADS