Could you please recommend me some SACDs and tell me which ones not to try

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

As the title suggests could you recommend me some SACDs please and tell me which ones not to buy please? Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

So I bought some SACDs on eBay last night from a collector of them. Rolling Stones, Bob Dillon and the Titanic soundtrack. I had wondered about the Top Gun soundtrack too but that was used all of my other ones I bought are brand new!

D

Deleted member 108165

Got to agree with Al here, I've got a few but they are albums that I was actually interested in having on SACD.

D

Deleted member 2457

Surely that's going to depend on what genre of music you like........
I don't have any SACD s that I wouldn't buy
I like all sorts of music to be honest not classical to be fair though. I have been through the list on eBay though and have bought some already, can you buy them from any other place? Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Got to agree with Al here, I've got a few but they are albums that I was actually interested in having on SACD.
Can you recommend any other places apart from eBay to buy them too? Thanks

D

Deleted member 108165

Amazon have a few on their site. I think most of the ones I've purchased have come via eBay from Japan. Type SACD in google and see what comes up mate.

You could have a trawl through discogs they have huge selection of new/used.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

Amazon have a few on their site. I think most of the ones I've purchased have come via eBay from Japan. Type SACD in google and see what comes up mate.

You could have a trawl through discogs they have huge selection of new/used.
Thanks mate. Typing sacd on searches on Amazon and eBay threw up more results for me. Just bought Top Gun soundtrack and Carpenters SACDs.

D

Deleted member 108165

Just a word of caution: If you start purchasing outside the EU don't gorge purchase from one supplier as anything over £15 could see you hit with a bill for 20% VAT (if you are unlucky) from those nice people at Revenue&Customs, plus an admin fee from the delivering carrier. The last time I looked the Royal Mail had the lowest admin fee of about £9, other carriers charge substantially more.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

Just a word of caution: If you start purchasing outside the EU don't gorge purchase from one supplier as anything over £15 could see you hit with a bill for 20% VAT (if you are unlucky) from those nice people at Revenue&Customs, plus an admin fee from the delivering carrier. The last time I looked the Royal Mail had the lowest admin fee of about £9, other carriers charge substantially more.
Thanks mate!

Wise advice, they may appear cheaper in Japan but you can get caught out.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

I don’t think these SACDs sound any different to Spotify is that correct? And Apple Music sounds even better through my amp?

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
It depends. SACDs can have surround-sound encoding (while Spotify certainly does not), while also offering very high bitrates.

Whether high bitrates are important is subject to much debate, even among top studio engineers (who should have pretty good hearing!). In blind testing, the results of 192kHz sampling vs 44.1kHz sampling are basically random - people can't tell which is which reliably.

So, from a conventional stereo HiFi point of view, I wouldn't bother with SACDs. I'd certainly look into them if I had a really good surround setup, but I don't. Even for movies, stereo works just fine for me.

All that said, there's a psychological part to listening to music. If having something technically superior is important to your enjoyment of the music, then go ahead and pursue SACDs. I don't mind either way.

Chris

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

It depends. SACDs can have surround-sound encoding (while Spotify certainly does not), while also offering very high bitrates.

Whether high bitrates are important is subject to much debate, even among top studio engineers (who should have pretty good hearing!). In blind testing, the results of 192kHz sampling vs 44.1kHz sampling are basically random - people can't tell which is which reliably.

So, from a conventional stereo HiFi point of view, I wouldn't bother with SACDs. I'd certainly look into them if I had a really good surround setup, but I don't. Even for movies, stereo works just fine for me.

All that said, there's a psychological part to listening to music. If having something technically superior is important to your enjoyment of the music, then go ahead and pursue SACDs. I don't mind either way.

Chris
Thanks mate.

D

Deleted member 108165

Chris, you certainly are a welcome addition to this forum sir (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

Dire Straits SACD sounds amazing! Better than Spotify for sure.

D

Deleted member 2457

Got the Bangles the other day and it’s really good! I got CELINE DION too and that is really amazing first time I have listened to it just now too. I got the Cambridge Audio 4K Blu-ray player to play them on. Thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts