Cost efficient way to wirelessly connect Marantz PM 7005 with an iphone?

obuch

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

As a result of relocating to a new apartment I have just moved from using my computer as the music source (Spotify Premium via USB connection utilizing the built in DAC in the Marant amp) to a wireless (bluetooth dongle) connection with my iphone.

Needless to say, the resulting sound quality has suffered noticeably as a result of this move.

I’ve been wondering, is there any cost efficient solution to wirelessly connect the 2 devices (and utiliste the built-in DAC) without compromising too much on sound quality and breaking the budget at the same time (i.e. I’m aware of the streaming devices but they simply seem too costly given the simple function in questiion).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

iMark

Unfortunately Apple no longer make the Airport Express. Incredibly useful for adding AirPlay to existing equipment. They can even be upgraded to Airplay 2.

There are many of them on the second hand market. The best ones are the latest models, the A1392. The Airport Express has an analogue/digital output. You can use an optical cable to connect to the optical input of your Marantz amp. If you already have an optical cable you need an optical to optical 3.5mm adapter at the end of the Airport Express.

AirPlay streaming is at CD quality, so perfect for Spotify and better than Bluetooth.

On the second hand market you can also find the much older A1264 or even the A1084/1088. These will also work but use older WiFi standards. But if you're looking for a really cheap option for about 15 pounds/euros they are fine, especially for using the digital output. But they don't last forever. I've had one that failed after 10 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Express

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts