Coronavirus

D

Deleted member 188533

Still working on getting us a general off topic section but this will do for now.

I'm good. Worried about some elderly family members way more than I am myself. I saw this coming in mid January when China started locking down and started prepping then. So I'm as prepared as it's possible to be.

I'm somewhat rural and I have 3 1/2 acres so I'm not worried about getting it from a neighbor or anything. Here in the US we tend to go to the supermarket every week or two vs the European style of going to a market every day anyway and I've got enough food for a few months if necessary.

insider9

Good to hear @anort3

UK seems unwilling to do anything to help and people are panicking. Leaving shop shelves empty. I've done some prep medical grade disinfectant, masks, supplements and drugs. I'm yet to build a large supply of food but that should not be running our... hopefully

D

Deleted member 188533

People are panic buying here as well at least from what I'm seeing online. I made a trip Wednesday night and the store was fully stocked except toilet paper. Thankfully I was already good there. :LOL:

Little bit of the overflow in my basement that won't fit upstairs. I keep the first aid stuff anyway just in case I do something stupid like chainsaw myself and we ( middle Georgia ) get residuals from hurricanes and can lose power for a few days at times so it's always good to have. I managed to grab 80 N95 masks January 27th at Lowes ( big home improvement store in the US). Amazon was already out. I got 20 cases of water at 4.2 gallons ( 16 liters? ) each and I've got an extra freezer and fridge ( more in there now than in the pics ) down there that are packed. Literally can't fit anything else in the upstairs fridge and pantry. Got 3 full propane tanks for the gas grill and 2 bags of charcoal for the smoker/grill.

The federal government can only do so much here but the governor of Georgia has set aside a state park and a police training area as potential quarantine zones for those sick enough to require hospitalization which will hopefully keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed like what's happening in Italy. He'll also activate the National Guard when it become necessary as well.

20200226_134808_HDR.jpg

20200226_135156_HDR.jpg

20200226_135215.jpg

Reactions: insider9
D

Deleted member 2457

Looks like I am going to have to self isolate for up to 4 months in the coming days!

michael hoy

My wife has the virus (NHS worker), I am at risk (Asthma).
I work in local government and have now deployed most staff to work from home.
We have found a lot of local supermarkets having empty shelves prior to our isolation.
All online deliveries unavailable for nearly a month.

D

Deleted member 108165

My wife has the virus (NHS worker), I am at risk (Asthma).
I work in local government and have now deployed most staff to work from home.
We have found a lot of local supermarkets having empty shelves prior to our isolation.
All online deliveries unavailable for nearly a month.
Sorry to hear this Mike, hope it all goes well for you and your Mrs. Empty shelves are just another symptom of the virus... locusts at work gobbling up more than they can eat/use.

Reactions: michael hoy

Jimboo

Went into Waitrose today. Had to wait in line as only 50 people allowed in at anytime. Milk and bread and ,................ Bog roll available! Got a tin of beans as well. It worked well only saw one person overstocking.
We decided at work to close as we are nearly all over fifty. Morally none of us want to infect anyone high risk , in fact anyone at all.
I don't like the idea of NHS workers and the elderly having the same shopping hour. Those who really are at risk sharing the same place as those most likely to be infected.
Hope your wife and you will be ok Mike.

michael hoy

Thanks DougK and Jimboo, your thoughts are much appreciated.
I can't (or can really) understand two families on the close have been out to work today, neither are key workers and the wife of one of them spoke to my wife not long ago and stated she would hate to get it.
We have neighbours in their late 80's and 90's and they are being more sensible.

If we all behave sensibly and morally most people will get through this without any issues.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
Both me and my wife are frontline doctors at our local hospital. We have been overwhelmed by the kind gesture of some hotels and restaurants. We were concerned about my father in law who's 80 to catch the infection from us. A hotel kindly offered an apartment with 2 bedrooms for free (one bedroom for him and another for my sister in law who's working from home for Google, so she can look after him). But we insisted that we would pay as he would have his overheads as well. So we agreed on a monthly rent which is more than reasonable. The restaurants have been generous in sending food for NHS staff.

D

Deleted member 188533

Good to hear. How are things there? Parts of the US are getting hit hard and it's just going to get worse. One good thing here is how decentralized we are compared to the UK/Europe. Outside of a few big cities almost no one uses public transportation and everything is spread out.

My sister is a nurse and she's had a Covid19 patient who was herself a nurse from a small town in south Georgia called Albany that has a relatively large number of cases. She was young and only had mild symptoms and has since been released.

We're in Macon which has a fairly large medical presence for its size. We have 2 large and 1 smaller hospitals that cover a huge geographic area. Basically from Jacksonville Florida to Atlanta Georgia. We have the only Level 1 trauma center in that area. As of now there are relatively few cases here in the mid state. Just saw on the news that Atlanta's ICU beds are full though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sorry, have been busy at work over the past couple of days. Working this weekend too. Some parts of UK getting badly affected, especially London. The cases are still going up rapidly. They're planning a 4000 bedded makeshift ICU in London, not sure how they're going to equip and staff it though.
They are getting last year medical students to work now and in the UK they are making ventilators for now.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Boredom has well and truly set in here, and the devil makes work for idle 3D printers.

49687277727_d30cc257bd_c.jpg

49687255433_7315c612cd_c.jpg

Reactions: insider9
Sorry, have been busy at work over the past couple of days. Working this weekend too. Some parts of UK getting badly affected, especially London. The cases are still going up rapidly. They're planning a 4000 bedded makeshift ICU in London, not sure how they're going to equip and staff it though.
Probably widely spread because by the Tube System.

Okay, let's have some perspective on this virus. I'm no medical expert but as a WW1 & 2 researcher, I've clued up on how viruses react.

Of course it's scary at the moment, and I should know because Mrs. P suffers from sleep apnea (wears a VPAPIII mask every night). She's very high risk.

However, more people lives are claimed from Flu or TB or Diarrhea than this virus.. But with flu and other non-related virus deaths the NHS are severely under pressure. I really feel for BB and others working in the front-line.

The reason for the panic is because no-one understands it... I certainly don't but all viruses has its natural lifespan. Like any living organism it will die, but before that happens there will be a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd wave. Our bodies will build up a natural immune to the virus. Oddly the 2nd phase will claim more lives because people (generalising) will become complacent.

I'm quite chilled out about it other than the restrictions. We are all in the same boat.

The Spanish flu of 1918 and 1919 claimed 50 million lives world wide (conservative estimate. The realistic figure could be as much as a 100 million. WWI claimed between 20-25 million). Lorries loaded with coffins strewn the streets of the UK. There was at least 250,000 in the UK alone. Things have moved on medically from there, and with social media we are now more clued up.

Keep safe. It will improve. It might take several months but it will improve.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Okay, let's have some perspective on this virus. I'm no medical expert but as a WW1 & 2 researcher, I've clued up on how viruses react.

Of course it's scary at the moment, and I should know because Mrs. P suffers from sleep apnea (wears a VPAPIII mask every night). She's very high risk.

However, more people lives are claimed from Flu or TB or Diarrhea than this virus.. But with flu and other non-related virus deaths the NHS are severely under pressure. I really feel for BB and others working in the front-line.

The reason for the panic is because no-one understands it... I certainly don't but all viruses has its natural lifespan. Like any living organism it will die, but before that happens there will be a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd wave. Our bodies will build up a natural immune to the virus. Oddly the 2nd phase will claim more lives because people (generalising) will become complacent.

I'm quite chilled out about it other than the restrictions. We are all in the same boat.

The Spanish flu of 1918 and 1919 claimed 50 million lives world wide (conservative estimate. The realistic figure could be as much as a 100 million. WWI claimed between 20-25 million). Lorries loaded with coffins strewn the streets of the UK. There was at least 250,000 in the UK alone. Things have moved on medically from there, and with social media we are now more clued up.

Keep safe. It will improve. It might take several months but it will improve.
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, or, indeed, if you're actually saying anything, but the reason people are so scared is because we don't have a cure, and it's killing lots of people. Please don't try to make it out to be less of a problem than it actually is. When did you last see hospitals overrun with cases of diarrhea?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts