Cork mat for Rega RP3?

CS85

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cork mat for my Rega RP3 and was wondering if some of you could put some suggestions my way. I've seen various mats online but I'm not sure if they can be used with the RP3. I assume they don't vary in size very much so can I just go with any old cork mat?

Regards,

Chris

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to buy a cork mat for your RP3 as looking on Rega's website its not an option they list (seems they prefer the felt type), the only other thing you could try is replacing the standard platter for a glass one, I tried something similar with my Project (acrylic not glass) and found that it improved the sound.

*music2*

One of the best cork mats around is the cork / rubber mat by Analogue Studio but it's about £27.

Platter mats will fit any turntable normally as they are all the same size just vary in thickness.

I can recommend the Origin Live platter mat. However it's not cork.

flubber62

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Dont bother, get a funk firm achromat, as they turn all the mechanical energy produced by the cartridge into heat, whether its a tech das or a rega, the results are exactly the same. Felt mats are slipmats nothing more, they hold dust and transfer it to you records, you will be shocked at what an achromat does, I have used them on all mof my tiurntables, including my well tempered amadeius gay with vdh crimson cartridge, the difference is HUGE!!!

flubber62 said:
ure

Dont bother, get a funk firm achromat, as they turn all the mechanical energy produced by the cartridge into heat, whether its a tech das or a rega, the results are exactly the same. Felt mats are slipmats nothing more, they hold dust and transfer it to you records, you will be shocked at what an achromat does, I have used them on all mof my tiurntables, including my well tempered amadeius gay with vdh crimson cartridge, the difference is HUGE!!!

Pure hype I feel.

For £57 you are better off upgrading your cartridge. No turntable mat is going to make as much difference, and yes I have tried most.

CS85

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Re-visiting this post... Little bit unsure of the mat thickness. The Rega RP3 felt/wool mat is 2mm thick from what I can tell. A lot of the cork or cork/rubber mats I've looked at are 3mm. Will this difference in thickness adversly affect vinyl playback or will there be an adjustment I need to make to the setup of the tonearm?

Regards,

Chris

CS85 said:
Re-visiting this post... Little bit unsure of the mat thickness. The Rega RP3 felt/wool mat is 2mm thick from what I can tell. A lot of the cork or cork/rubber mats I've looked at are 3mm. Will this difference in thickness adversly affect vinyl playback or will there be an adjustment I need to make to the setup of the tonearm?

Regards,

Chris

No noticeable difference I feel. If you can get such a thing as a 1mm shim from Rega it might be worthwhile fitting it but only if your mat is greater than 3mm.

K

keeper of the quays

I have made my own mats..in a idle afternoon,thought I would try and see what happened! In my Linn I have felt mat..so used a cork floor tile..cut to shape! Then used bubble wrap! Then tried latex cooking sheet! Lol..bought some suede, tried that too! Even used my Linn platter with no mat! Cork was ok..platter with no mat was quite interesting..but suede won hands down..still use it..bit of leather from upholstery shop..cost £3

K

keeper of the quays

Al ears said:
CS85 said:

Regards,

Chris

No noticeable difference I feel. If you can get such a thing as a 1mm shim from Rega it might be worthwhile fitting it but only if your mat is greater than 3mm.
on my experiments I did raise the arm up a bit..that cork floor tile was thick! Leather is great...the suede bit is the top..the one the records rests on..

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
As LPs vary quite a bit in thickness, from the old 60s-70's stuff, to 180-200g discs, a millimetre here or there of mat thickness isn't going to matter, really.

I mean, you're not going to adjust VTA for every LP, are you?

K

keeper of the quays

GeoffreyW said:
As LPs vary quite a bit in thickness, from the old 60s-70's stuff, to 180-200g discs, a millimetre here or there of mat thickness isn't going to matter, really.

I mean, you're not going to adjust VTA for every LP, are you? 
nope..that would be silly...and it's interesting to hear things when tone arm is at different heights! My akito allows me to adjust reasonably easily the tonearm..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts