copy protected discs

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hello all, my system is a denon dcd 835 cd player, i am just looking to purchase mike oldfields tubular bells, found the 2003 remastered edition, but noticed it comes with a warning regarding the copy protection softwere on the disc that it might not play in some cd players, looking online i notice people reporting that this softwere can damage cd players, also some report clicking and loud pops in music playback, is there a concern with this in my cd player ? should i avoid and just get regular cd copy ?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Should play fine. The copy protection was there to stop computer drives from extracting/ripping the content of the disc, but in the process actually made the CD not actually a CD – ie it didn't actually conform to the Red Book standard. Hence the caution about it possibly not playing in some CD players.

But haven't heard of damage being caused to players by such discs: it should either play or it won't, in which case you can take it back and get a refund or replacement. Remember, you bought it as a CD, and if it's not a actually CD but a CD-sized piece of plastic made to a different standard, then it's not fit for purpose.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
This is not a remaster. Oldfield completely rerecorded the album - the narrator even changes from Viv Stanshall to John Cleese. I think he did a good job, but it certainly sounds different to the original.

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
yes hammil you are correct, mike also stated he corrected all the timing mistakes hi didnt have the time to do with original version, i take it you have this disc ? have you had any playback problems ? if you have heard it would you recommend the re-recorded or the original ?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
mogsie said:
yes hammil you are correct, mike also stated he corrected all the timing mistakes hi didnt have the time to do with original version, i take it you have this disc ? have you had any playback problems ? if you have heard it would you recommend the re-recorded or the original ?
No playback problems on my cd player. The copy protection works, which means I cannot put a copy on my NAS, which is a shame. I like the new version, so would recommend it as long as you are aware of what you are getting (which you are).

iMark

The copy protection never worked on Macs, which was very useful around 2003. I have several ripped discs from the era in my iTunes library. If you really need a ripped copy, just find someone with a Mac (and an optical drive!) to rip the disc (we can't call it a CD because it doesn't conform to the Redbook standard) for you.

I remember there was a lot of hullabaloo about the copy protection and how to circumnavigate the protection. I remember especially the Sony rootkit was quite a scandal back in 2005.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Sony's_DRM_protected_CDs_install_Windows_rootkits

iMark

The copy protection never worked on Macs, which was very useful around 2003. I have several ripped discs from the era in my iTunes library. If you really need a ripped copy, just find someone with a Mac (and an optical drive!) to rip the disc (we can't call it a CD because it doesn't conform to the Redbook standard) for you.

I remember there was a lot of hullabaloo about the copy protection and how to circumnavigate the protection. I remember especially the Sony rootkit was quite a scandal back in 2005.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Sony's_DRM_protected_CDs_install_Windows_rootkits

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
iMark said:
The copy protection never worked on Macs,

Ah that would explain how I was able to rip my copy to my Mac with no issues. Maybe back in 2003 they couldn't have forseen the demand to rip entire libraries to hard-drives for streaming and iPod sync'ing. But in any case it's been counterproductive because I bet a high proportion of people who wanted to rip it but couldn't went on to download it via illegal means out of frustration, and in this case, it's difficult to blame them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts