Converting old cassette tapes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a real novice i am considering tryoing to convert about 100 old ( 1980s) music cassettes onto a computer with the idea of downloading some of them on to my creative zen MP3 .

this USB cassette deck ion tape2pc gets mixed reviews at best and i have now sen an advert for a vinyl2pc.co.uk on wwwtape-2-pc.co.uk which just supplies some cabling and software and uses the headphone socket.

Doesthis much cheaper system work and will it load onto a hard drive not a computer

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't bother with those USB cassette or vinyl decks as the quality will probably be average at best.

If you have a half decent tape desk of record player then it would be cheaper to invest in a decent sound-card for your PC (Creative to some cheapish external ones) that accepts their line-in.

Most cards will come with the basic software that you need to convert the resulting sound file into individual tracks and then convert them to Mp3.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
All you need is to make sure your computer has a line-in, as James says above. You could then run a walkman into it using a 3.5mm cable from the headphone of the walkman to your line-in, and record the music as a wav file using sound recorder.

It's dead easy, I did this a good few years ago as a mess around and I remember it worked a treat.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
What Andy said, but in addition I would download a copy of Audacity - it's a free sound editor, and is really easy to use. You can split the file into tracks, and (should you want to) remove tape hiss etc...

I use it all the time to "archive" my vinyl to CD.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Maybe controversial reply. But I simply downloaded some of the tape and vinyl albums I own, in decent MP3 format. I have since replaced most with CD, but not all. Could get in trouble too, as I threw a very large binbag of tapes away not long ago.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
How about converting MD to MP3? And subsequently to upload into iPod? Is there a way to connect my MD deck to a laptop?

I also have on of those SOny MD walkman that can be connected to a laptop via USB but hw do I convert ATRACC to MP3?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:oooOOOooo.

Contributed how? Did you give them a mix tape?

Actually, you've prompted a thread.......

I am one of the interviewees - and get this, i'm not the only woman interviewed
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

If you have Sony Sonicstage on your computer, you need to download the music from your MD player into the library, then follow the instructions, it will take quite some time and some tracks will not be able to be transfared or changed due to copyright laws. If you have a problem, log onto the Sony Connect site and there you will find the information on how to carry out the conversion much better than I have given you. I had to transfare from one to the other and it worked. Good luck, lets know how you get on.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:oooOOOooo.

Contributed how? Did you give them a mix tape?

Actually, you've prompted a thread.......

I am one of the interviewees - and get this, i'm not the only woman interviewed
emotion-3.gif

Women like music too? Wow.

A

Anonymous

Clare. When are you going to test the Alessandros MS1s, my offer is still on the table.
emotion-2.gif

APB77

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
First of all apologies for starting an old thread, scoured the net and this site for a solution but to no avail !

I have decided that its time to convert all of my old mix tapes to my laptop.

Sony stereo system to laptop via 3.5mm jack cable (jack cable out from headphone socket on stereo to microphone in on the laptop), Audacity is the software that I am using.

I am able to record without a hitch but the sound quality is awful. The tapes and sound quality are fine playing through the stereo but not on the laptop which would make me think that there is a problem with the microphone in on the laptop.

I think the solution would be to purchase an external sound card, link the stereo to the sound card via 3.5mm jack cable, link sound card to laptop via USB cable.

Is there anyone out there that can confirm if this is the solution or offer alternatives (don't want to go down the ION route) ? I am at my wits end...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably too much level on the microphone input from the headphone out on your stereo system. It's worth looking round the back of the system to see whether there's a line output (eg tape out), but a USB external soundcard designed for line-in audio rather than a microphone would probably be the best solution, preferably hooked up from a line out on the system if you have one.

Something like this would do the trick

fc3e509dbf05336b82e58d977de8bd72.jpg

APB77

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
thanks guys, do you know if the below would do the trick as I can pick one up for about £14
Asonic External USB2.0 8 Channel Sound Card

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts