Converting itune rips to Apple Lossless

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Bit of help please.

When I originally ripped all my music collection from cd to Apple itunes I wasnt very savvy on all the different formats.

Most of my collection is ripped to 192kbps.

I now have a top end Sony av amp and stream using an Airpot Express to it. I want to get the best possible sound out of my system.

All my newer purchases are ripped at Apple Lossless.

I noticed on the options you can convert lesser ripped bit rates to Apple lossless ?

Is it really that simple ? How exactly do I do it if so ? And if it does, thats rather clever, how does that work ?

Dont really want to delete the older rips if I have to ?

If I do create Apple lossless versions will it lose my playlist history on those tracks ?

Quite a few questions there, any knowledge would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Paul.

Yep, there will be no gains. iTunes will unpack the compressed file, and repackage it in to a larger lossless file size. You will not gain extra quality, but you will loose disk space.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Grrrrrrr !Thats that then. Its going to take forever !

So whats that option all about ?

"Create Apple Lossless Version" ???

Perhaps for when you have stuff ripped in uncompressed CD quality and you want to convert to ALAC?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Whatever you have your current Import Settings set as in your Preferences will appear as on option when you right click on a track. So if your Import Settings for burning a new CD is set to AAC, you'll then have an option which says Create AAC Version when you right click on a song. Since you're currently importing as Apple Lossless, this is the option you get when right clicking.

As others have said, you could create an Apple Lossless version of an AAC or MP3 file, but it won't retrieve information that was lost when you originally ripped into the AAC or MP3 format. It will just use the Apple Lossless algorithm to create that file - this will mean the file takes up more space as it's not as heavily compressed.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
Whatever you have your current Import Settings set as in your Preferences will appear as on option when you right click on a track. So if your Import Settings for burning a new CD is set to AAC, you'll then have an option which says Create AAC Version when you right click on a song. Since you're currently importing as Apple Lossless, this is the option you get when right clicking.

As others have said, you could create an Apple Lossless version of an AAC or MP3 file, but it won't retrieve information that was lost when you originally ripped into the AAC or MP3 format. It will just use the Apple Lossless algorithm to create that file - this will mean the file takes up more space as it's not as heavily compressed.

Thanks prof - as informative as ever.

Have a day off on Monday so will have to start re-ripping again.

Its going to be a long day !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts