Contentious and Pointless

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Charl:Paradigm for me. Nobody else on the forums seem to have them.Oooooh I loathe Paradigm. They're 'Canadian' so everyone and their cat's auntie carries them here. Their partner company Anthem makes total rubbish hardware. Ten years ago they were respectable, then someone bought them out, they started building them offshore and they just... ooo it boils me when a good speaker company sells itself up rubbish creek. They sell them at best buy... along with the Monster Cable Companies' speaker line. Which is, ofcourse, one of the most hilarious and criminal developments in quite some time.

A

Anonymous

Ray, they work for me. I started with Celestion but that was when i didn't know better. I demod Paradigm and B&W and at the time(4 years ago) i liked the Paradigms more.

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:Charl:Paradigm for me. Nobody else on the forums seem to have them.Oooooh I loathe Paradigm. They're 'Canadian' so everyone and their cat's auntie carries them here. Their partner company Anthem makes total rubbish hardware. Ten years ago they were respectable, then someone bought them out, they started building them offshore and they just... ooo it boils me when a good speaker company sells itself up rubbish creek. They sell them at best buy... along with the Monster Cable Companies' speaker line. Which is, ofcourse, one of the most hilarious and criminal developments in quite some time.

I take it you're not a fan then Ray.........

John Duncan

Bin Clankem:
Tannoy for me, but stick to the Prestige or TD range.

PMC: like having knitting needles hammered into your ears.

MA: same but sharpen the knitting needles.

Mission: put an enamel bucket over your head and bang it with a stick.
emotion-1.gif

Well if you will put Cyrus through them......
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not. Although four years ago it's quite likely Charl was getting some of the last of the true paradigm kit. They didn't butcher their-top end until five or so years ago (it takes years of R&D to make such utter rubbish as they hock now). As I said they used to be quite good.

I think if he demoed their current stuff against bowers there might be a different result.

What they do now, which impresses the pants off of the man on the street. Is produce speakers that have bloated bass. They have these cones made of some kind of plastic. The interesting thing is that the cone and surround are all from the same moulding. They look a bit like unused condoms to be honest, same colour and transparency I mean. Anyway, these cones have zero rigidity, you can tell by touching them. What they do have is overpronounced throw. The result is deep, sloppy, uncontrolled bass like one hears thumping out of bright orange cavaliers outside of seven elevens. When the lay person walks into the demo room they hear the deep thuds and buy the Paradigm. Ofcourse it's unbalanced, detailless, and sloppy to boot.

They USED to employ this same technology with considerably more restraint, and made rather nice floorstanders as a result. But now... it's just a dog's breakfast.

A

Anonymous

I demod the latest S100 Paradigms last week and wasn't impressed, my older kit knocked it for a six in all aspects.

Ray, i agree with you 100% on the new Paradigms. My system is a pleasure to listen to. I'm building up my stereo system and demod the Paradigm standmounts, needles to say i'm still looking. Any suggestions for good standmounts to go with Rotel RC1070(stereo amp), Rotel RB 1070(power amp) and Rotel RCD1072(cd player)?

A

Anonymous

Yeah sounds like you got the good stuff. Their quite sought after now.

A

Anonymous

I was going to use my Paradigms for the stereo system and replace with the new Paradigms but i'm glad i demod the new stuff first. I'm sticking with what i've got.

A

Anonymous

Messiah:
raypalmer:I have to say that if I ever saw a deal on piano black gs20's I'd forget PMC and take it. Just don't know if they're quite worth the 3500 some odd dollars.

Like these

Phew, that's not bad. But can you imagine the shipping to canada. Then the customs levies. THEN 13 percent sales tax?? The disadvantages to living in the great white mount.

matthewpiano

For me its got to be Mordaunt-Short. I've had all sorts but have always derived the greatest listening pleasure from MS speakers whether it was the MS15IIs I had as a teenager, the MS902is, or my current 914is. The 914s are incredible for the money - very detailed with loads of drive and excellent tonal balance whether playing big orchestral pieces, chamber music, rock, jazz or anything else.

I've had Quads, MAs, Tannoys, Missions, KEFs, Wharfedales, and B&Ws and never been as satisfied as when using MS. I'm sorely tempted by a pair of the Mezzo 6 floorstanders when I can afford the upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Messiah:
I went from being firmly in the Mission camp for years over to Monitor Audio. I have found the RS1's to give me just the sound I was after.

Much clearer!

I followed this route too - after having Mission 780's over 10 years ago I came back from years in the wilderness to find that current day, all Chinese Mission sucked the big one and was directed to Monitor Audio and have to say I'm happy. My RS6/RSLCR/RSFX set up sounds great. I'm pretty keen to upgrade my amp however, as I'm sure they have more to give than they are currently doing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts