Consecutive Albums

John Duncan

What band or artist has made the most consecutive albums which you like? You can leave out live albums or compilations if it doesn't help your argument :)

I came up with 8 from Rush:

A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire

And then they went and spoiled it all with Presto...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The Beatles. There's no duffers, but Revolver through to Abbey Road are exceptional, imo. Fair enough though I give Revolution 9 a wide berth: 8:22 of Ono-influenced self-indulgent garbage.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Good thread John! I`m also going with Rush but I can do better than eight. Fifteen in fact...

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

All The World`s A Stage (live)

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Exit... Stage Left (live)

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

A Show Of Hands (live)

Then, as you say, they spoiled it all with `Presto`!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The Beatles. There's no duffers, but Revolver through to Abbey Road are exceptional, imo. Fair enough though I give Revolution 9 a wide berth: 8:22 of Ono-influenced self-indulgent garbage.

+1

John Duncan

survivor said:
Good thread John! I`m also going with Rush but I can do better than eight. Fifteen in fact...

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

A Show Of Hands (live)

I ummed and ahhed about 2112 but couldn't in all conscience include it, and i think most rush live albums are a bit pointless. Actually, i think most live albums are a bit pointless...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Peter Hammill

Chameleon in the shadow of the night

The Silent Cornet & The Empty Stage

In Camera

Nadir's Big Chance

Over

The Future Now

ph7

A Black Box

Sitting Targets

Enter K

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
survivor said:

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

A Show Of Hands (live)

I ummed and ahhed about 2112 but couldn't in all conscience include it, and i think most rush live albums are a bit pointless. Actually, i think most live albums are a bit pointless...

Fair enough John. Wouldn`t call myself the greatest lover of live albums but I do think Rush tend to make very good ones. I`ve always liked the titles of Rush live albums. Makes a nice change from just calling it `Live`. Also like the way they make four studio albums followed by a live one and with just one or two exceptions (such as `Closer To The Heart`) you get a different track listing each time rather than the same old songs repeated again and again.

Anyway, may come back later with one or two other artists though I know I won`t top fifteen!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Supertramp:

Crime of the Century
Crisis? What Crisis?
Even in the quietest moments
Breakfast in America
Famous last words
Brother where you bound
Free as a bird
Some things never change
Slow Motion

I didn't like the first two albums (Supertramp and Indelibly stamped).

Then there's all 15 (I think) Genisis albums.....preferred the original ones with Peter Gabriel.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
For me it has to be Marillion:

Script for a Jester's Tear
Fugazi
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching at Straws
Seasons End
Holidays in Eden
Brave
Afraid of Sunlight
This Strange Engine
Radiation
Marillion.com
Anoraknophobia
Marbles
Somewhere Else
Happiness Is the Road
Less Is More

Plus live, compilation and other albums, nothing else in my music collection comes close to this number. :grin:

CnoEvil said:
Supertramp: Crime of the Century Crisis? What Crisis? Even in the quietest moments Breakfast in America Famous last words Brother where you bound Free as a bird Some things never change Slow Motion I didn't like the first two albums (Supertramp and Indelibly stamped). Then there's all 15 (I think) Genisis albums.....preferred the original ones with Peter Gabriel.

Crumbs, I didn't think you'd like Supertramp too, Cno. Can't claim I've heard much beyond the first four in your list, so must look at backfilling. Which one is your fave of the newer ones?

Back to the OP, can I say all of Mahler's 9 symphonies (let's not debate the 10th) or is this 1960s to date only?

Maybe that's cheating as we'll soon get all of Mozart's 41 symphonies, or Haydn's 104. :clap:

A

Anonymous

David Bowie

The Man Who Sold The World

Hunky Dory

Ziggy Stardust

Aladdin Sane

Pin Ups

Diamond Dogs

Young Americans

Station To Station

Low

Heroes

Lodger

Scary Monsters And Super Creeps

All great albums

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Crumbs, I didn't think you'd like Supertramp too, Cno. Can't claim I've heard much beyond the first four in your list, so must look at backfilling. Which one is your fave of the newer ones?

"Some things never change".......obviously Supertramp, but matured, like a good wine. Highly recommended.

My taste is mostly stuck in the 70s (I suspect yours may be too) - 10cc, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Rick Wakeman, Gallagher and Lyle, Genesis, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons project, Jacque Loussier etc etc

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
How about Johnny Cash?

American 1, II, III, IV followed by Unearthed Box Set (4 discs and a compilation), then should have left American V and V1 alone IMO

A

Anonymous

+1 on Rush, but all of them. Presto is a great CD!

John, check out the new Blu-ray - apart from Ged's voice (ill at the time and early songs show it) - and you won't like the films - it is superb. All live (apart from one small repair from another show mentioned in the blurb).

+1 on Genesis, Pink Floyd and Marillion.

A few more:

Fish

Pixies

Tangerine Dream (pre 1987)

Redshift (electronic)

Mark Shreeve

Paul Lawler/Arcane/Max van Richter (all Paul Lawler!)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
+1 on Rush, but all of them. Presto is a great CD!

John, check out the new Blu-ray - apart from Ged's voice (ill at the time and early songs show it) - and you won't like the films - it is superb. All live (apart from one small repair from another show mentioned in the blurb).

+1 on Genesis, Pink Floyd and Marillion.

A few more:

Fish

Pixies

Tangerine Dream (pre 1987)

Redshift (electronic)

Mark Shreeve

Paul Lawler/Arcane/Max van Richter (all Paul Lawler!)

Definitely the Pixies - no duff albums there

All the Fugazi albums are great too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts