Connectivity Advice for Home Cinema Learner

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current equipment consists of the following:-

TV: Panasonic TH42PZ80B( new)

Amp. Old Rotel RA-820AX( 1986 vintage)--wired via Aux terminals to TV audio output

Cable Box: standard 2001 issue

DVD Player: JVC XV-N412S( 2004 vintage)--wired via component + audio cabling to TV

Speakers: Floorstanders KEF Q35.2

I wish to update and am considering:-

Virgin V+ cable box( on order)--this has 1 HDMI output

NAD VISO 2 DVD/Receiver--only 1 output HDMI socket. This would replace my existing old Rotel amp and my JVC DVD player.

I also intend to add a powered sub-woofer---not sure yet which to go for.

I do NOT wish to go for a full 5.1 system and would prefer the 2.1 from the NAD, even though any surround sound would be "virtual".

If I do go with such a system I would be grateful for advice on best way to connect the Viso 2, Virgin+ box and the TV to obtain full HD from the Virgin box as more become available( only BBC HD at present).

Do you recomment connecting the HDMI Virgin + output directly to the TV's HDMI input. If so how to connect the Viso 2?---to the TV's 2nd. HDMI?

Or could the Virgin + box be connected 1st. to the Viso2( but Viso2 does not have an HDMI input--only an output).

Finally, would I be better of purchasing a separate blueray DVD such as the entry level Panasonic and a separate AV receiver such as the Yamaha 763AX. If I go down that route, could I retain my KEF speakers and just a sub-woofer--still only a 2.1 system although the Yamaha has 5.1 capability. If that's possible, how do you think the Yamaha would react to setting up the sound on initial switch-on without the "missing" 3 speakers.

Thanks,

Confused Dave

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
DBD:
Current equipment consists of the following:-

TV: Panasonic TH42PZ80B( new)

Amp. Old Rotel RA-820AX( 1986 vintage)--wired via Aux terminals to TV audio output

Cable Box: standard 2001 issue

DVD Player: JVC XV-N412S( 2004 vintage)--wired via component + audio cabling to TV

Speakers: Floorstanders KEF Q35.2

I wish to update and am considering:-

Virgin V+ cable box( on order)--this has 1 HDMI output

NAD VISO 2 DVD/Receiver--only 1 output HDMI socket. This would replace my existing old Rotel amp and my JVC DVD player.

I also intend to add a powered sub-woofer---not sure yet which to go for.

I do NOT wish to go for a full 5.1 system and would prefer the 2.1 from the NAD, even though any surround sound would be "virtual".

If I do go with such a system I would be grateful for advice on best way to connect the Viso 2, Virgin+ box and the TV to obtain full HD from the Virgin box as more become available( only BBC HD at present).

Do you recomment connecting the HDMI Virgin + output directly to the TV's HDMI input. If so how to connect the Viso 2?---to the TV's 2nd. HDMI?

Or could the Virgin + box be connected 1st. to the Viso2( but Viso2 does not have an HDMI input--only an output).

Finally, would I be better of purchasing a separate blueray DVD such as the entry level Panasonic and a separate AV receiver such as the Yamaha 763AX. If I go down that route, could I retain my KEF speakers and just a sub-woofer--still only a 2.1 system although the Yamaha has 5.1 capability. If that's possible, how do you think the Yamaha would react to setting up the sound on initial switch-on without the "missing" 3 speakers.

Thanks,

Confused Dave

Lots to get through. If you went for the NAD, you could connect the Virgin box to your screen with hdmi and then optical from NAD to Virgin box. If you then bought a Bluray player you could connect it to the NAD via hdmi for sound and vision and the NAD to the screen.

However, your alternative option is the better one imo. The Yamaha 763 and Pana bluray player would give you a better picture and sound and better upgrade options for the future. You can set the receiver up so that it knows that you only want a 2.1 "surround" sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts