Connection Problem. Please help.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

First time to forum and looking for some help. Have recently aquired an Audiolab 8200 CD and wish to connect it to a Roksan Kandy K2 Amp. The CD output of the Audiolab is either a single coax or a single optical out and the input of the amp is a standard double phono...how do I connect the two please?

Confused

A

Anonymous

Sorry, being a bit thick. I don't see any XLR outputs?

A

Anonymous

Thank you. Do I need 2 of these, both with standard phono connections at the other end? The manual talks about these connections being used for 'balanced outputs'..whatever that is? The section for CD output only discusses the digital single coax output.

A

Anonymous

I think what you need is a pair of cables something like the Chord Chameleon Plus (Vee plug version) which you can see here http://www.chord.co.uk/products.php?pg=105

They are pretty expensive though (about £120) and you can get cheaper ones if you want. Using such a nice CD player though I wouldn't go much cheaper.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
karl.hey said:
I think what you need is a pair of cables something like the Chord Chameleon Plus (Vee plug version) which you can see here http://www.chord.co.uk/products.php?pg=105

They are pretty expensive though (about £120) and you can get cheaper ones if you want. Using such a nice CD player though I wouldn't go much cheaper.

No, what the OP needs is some sensible advice to get him started, not nonsense that will require spending lots of money to no appreciable effect.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
There are two output types:

1. Digital - For outputting to an external DAC

2. Analogue - For outputting to an amplifier

You need the analogue outputs. These are in two forms also, XLR and RCA. Connect your normal RCA/phono lead interconnect to the RCA sockets next to the XLR sockets. Make sure that left on the CD player goes to left on the amp and right to right.

Don't worry about the XLRs for now, they are not neccessary, or even of any meaningful benefit.

A

Anonymous

WOW! One thing I've noticed about this forum since I joined about a week ago looking for advice is...people are so passionate about the subject that they often come across quite aggressive... I was just giving my opinion…

I think I might find another place for my audio advice, this forum things is proving way too stressful for me.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You have two analogue outputs to the left of the CD player (labelled left and right). The Left RCA (phono) and Left XLR connectors are together and ditto for the right channel. The XLR outputs are the three pin connectors which you do not need to use with your amplifier. The the connections to the right of your CD player are digital inputs / outputs which you cannot connect to your amp since your amp does not have any digital inputs. On the back of your amp you have L + R inputs labelled for the CD player. Connect the Right RCA connector of the CD player to the CD R input of the amp, and similarly connect the Left RCA to the CD L input of your amp. Voila.

8200CD04.jpg
4.jpg

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
karl.hey said:
WOW! One thing I've noticed about this forum since I joined about a week ago looking for advice is...people are so passionate about the subject that they often come across quite aggressive... I was just giving my opinion…

I think I might find another place for my audio advice, this forum things is proving way too stressful for me.

Sorry to have upset you, but you could have just led someone up the garden path to blowing £120 unneccessarily. I wouldn't get too upset though, what is written can all too easily be taken out of context or misconstrued. No offence intended.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
karl.hey said:

I think what people are passionate about is giving good advice ... in this case how to perform basic connections from a CD player to an amplifier. The original post (OP) did not ask for cable recommendations, and in fact since cable recommendations are highly subjective, especially very expensive ones, it is sometimes not helpful to cloud the issue with subjective recommendations which could leave the OP out of pocket and ultimately may not even need.

PS Welcome aboard ... hope you stay on the forum and become a valued contributor.

A

Anonymous

Overdose, Tino - I see your point. I thought I was being helpful by pointing out the type of cable needed and then being extra helpful by showing one I thought was good but I can see how this can be trouble. Still learning about audio....and this forum ;)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
karl.hey said:

There are very helpful members here too Karl, I can assure you Overdose has come to my rescue a good few times. I think we should let the Op start off with a basic connection first, simply because he might not appreciate the differences for the expenditure. You know what they say, you have to walk before you run and run before you fly.

Hi X777DUG

The K2 amplifier does not have XLR inputs so therefore please ignore the XLR outputs on the 8200CD and instead just use the analogue L & R RCA outputs on the 8200CD. Connect the two components as advised by Overdose.

Btw, i'll recommend using a basic interconnect cable as i feel this will be more then good enough for the 8200CD/K2 combination.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
karl.hey said:
Overdose, Tino - I see your point. I thought I was being helpful by pointing out the type of cable needed and then being extra helpful by showing one I thought was good but I can see how this can be trouble. Still learning about audio....and this forum ;)

... and you'll be learning about the paricular quirks of some of the forumites too I suspect ;)

... appreciate you sharing your experience with the cables you mentioned ... maybe that's another topic for another day .. but beware cable discussions can get very heated :O ;)

A

Anonymous

shafesk said:
karl.hey said:

There are very helpful members here too Karl, I can assure you Overdose has come to my rescue a good few times. I think we should let the Op start off with a basic connection first, simply because he might not appreciate the differences for the expenditure. You know what they say, you have to walk before you run and run before you fly.

Agreed Shafesk, I can see how easily something can be taken the wrong way on a forum and maybe I need to learn a little more about it before judging it so quickly myself…in fact I've only just learnt how to quote what you wrote! :oops:

A

Anonymous

tino said:
karl.hey said:

... and you'll be learning about the paricular quirks of some of the forumites too I suspect ;)

... appreciate you sharing your experience with the cables you mentioned ... maybe that's another topic for another day .. but beware cable discussions can get very heated :O ;)

A discussion I contemplated starting... :silenced:

A

Anonymous

Wow!

Didn't mean to start online web rage...however, thank you so much for the advice. Great help and very much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts