Connecting the original CA Dacmagic1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I managed to obtain an original Cambridge Audio DacMagic1 for a bargain. I dont have the manual & it has;

2 x balanced XLR outputs

1 pair x RCA outputs

3 x BNC Digital inputs

I'm guessing that there's no way I'll be able to connect my laptop to this? But also none of my kit (Cyrus2 amp & CD, Arcam alpha 5 & Rega planet CD) has any BNC connectors. Is there a way of connecting the R+L RCA's into a single digital BNC input?

thx in advance

Josey

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc, this sounds good in theory, not sure if that adaptor would do the job though? Not sure how it would connect to the DAC as it only takes BNC connections? Unless there's an adaptor to convert the optical out (from adaptor) to BNC (to DAC)?

The other issue is trying to convert the 2 RCA outputs from my CD player into the single digital BNC connection. I'm going to go along to Richer Sounds this afternoon to seek their advice. Will let you know the outcome....

thanks again

JB

A

Anonymous

Well it seems almost impossible to connect this DAC to any equipment without BNC connections!?

I've tried connecting my CD players from 2 RCA's into a single RCA adaptor into the BNC on the DAC connector (has 3 single BNC connections) then both the XLR + RCA outputs into all inputs of my amps without any luck at all

Does anyone know how these where connected before? I haven't seen any amps with BNC connections...?

A

Anonymous

JoseyBlo: I've tried connecting my CD players from 2 RCA's into a single RCA adaptor into the BNC on the DAC connector (has 3 single BNC connections) then both the XLR + RCA outputs into all inputs of my amps without any luck at all

Does anyone know how these where connected before? I haven't seen any amps with BNC connections...?

I'm sorry, but your approach is like trying to mate a trout with a pig. RCA and BNC digital are fundamentally different type of electrical signals and are not inter-operable.

This type of DAC with a BNC input was used typically to take the output from a CD transport, or a CD player with the digital signal taken before it's on-board DAC, and perform the signal conversion to RCA level output into an amp.

Later DAC's expanded the number of input options to include SPDIF optical and USB, and so are far more usable with a multitude of sources.

I'm sorry, but you've bought a DAC that's somewhat obsolete these days.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I thought as much. The thing is that surprises me is that my Cyrus 2 amp is probably older than the DAC! Oh well - Anyone want a Cambridge Audio DacMagic1????

idc

JoseyBlo:
Well it seems almost impossible to connect this DAC to any equipment without BNC connections!?

I've tried connecting my CD players from 2 RCA's into a single RCA adaptor into the BNC on the DAC connector (has 3 single BNC connections) then both the XLR + RCA outputs into all inputs of my amps without any luck at all

It would have worked BNC on the CDP to BNC on the DACmagic. The CDP is outputting a digital signal bypassing its own DAC. The RCA outputs on the CDP are outputting an analogue signal, not a digital one, which is why that did not work. What is the digital output on your CDP? Then I would try and find an adapter to allow you to plug that into the DAC.

A

Anonymous

You can connect your laptop to this DAC easily with the Halide Desing S/PDIF bridge ($450), or with the M2Tech HiFace ($180). These plug into the USB port of your laptop, and bridges the signal to S/PDIF terminating in a BNC connector.

The Halide bridge can be viewed here: http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/

http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/and was reviewed on CA: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Halide-Design-Bridge-Review

The M2Tech HiFace can be viewed here: http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html

I haven't read much about the M2Tech technology so you should check out some reviews, but they mention difficulties with connecting to old DACs because their S/PDIF stream is void of sampling frequency information.

These are also the only way you're going to be able to use the DAC you have without worrying about the jitter problems of adaptive USB technology. The Halide bridge uses the asynchronous Streamlength technology from Wavelength Audio to make your laptop a slave to the bridge's clock. I'm not sure what the M2Tech does.

If you have questions about USB audio technologies, I suggest looking into adaptive vs. asynchronous. Computer Audiophile is a pretty good place to get a summary: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Asynchronicity-USB-Audio-Primer

Realistically, if you were going to asynchronous USB DAC (if you can handle getting rid of your current DAC) and you don't want to spend a lot, you should look at the High Resolution Technology music streamers. Or you could go with the combo of one of the above bridges and some inexpensive non-USB DAC (which the HRTs already are so this option seems silly :p).

Hope I've been correct and/or helpful,

Grant

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Halide Design, Wavelength Audio, M2Tech, HRT, or Computer Audiophile.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts