Connecting Streamer and NAS together using Homeplug

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

i will be going down the route of streaming my music and will buy both a streamer and a NAS device.

Now my listening room is outside fo my house in a converted garage, so i would say this is 10m or so from my wireless router. Iv been told that i can connect my streamer and NAS using a homeplug but how exactly will this work?

Also im a a bit unsure of what NAS device to go for , has anyone any recommendations? it must be able to stream music well and have at least 2tb of space max 3tb. I dont want to spend more than £150 on this also.

I want to buy the NAS device as soon as possible so i can begin to get all my music onto it, then once i have funds i will buy the streamer (marantz NA-S11.

This will only work if your garage and house are on the same ring-mains (circuit).

The best NAS drive you can get for your budget would be something like the Western Digital 2Tb My Cloud. This is, obviously, comnnected to your router and the router connected via ethernet cable to a homeplug device (I use Devolo). At the other end of the chain your streamer is also attached to another homeplug device and via phono outputs to your amplifier.

That's keepng it very simple. If you need more detail you could try reposting thread in the relevent subforum here i.e. 'Computer-based Media'.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:

This will only work if your garage and house are on the same ring-mains (circuit).

The best NAS drive you can get for your budget would be something like the Western Digital 2Tb My Cloud. This is, obviously, comnnected to your router and the router connected via ethernet cable to a homeplug device (I use Devolo). At the other end of the chain your streamer is also attached to another homeplug device and via phono outputs to your amplifier.

That's keepng it very simple. If you need more detail you could try reposting thread in the relevent subforum here i.e. 'Computer-based Media'.

I am using homeplugs all over the house on different rings and they work without any problems. However if the garage is connected to a different consumer unit (fuse box) then you will have a problem.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:

Sorry that doesnt quite make sense to me.

I thought the homeplug would be plugged into my converted garage room and the nas device aswell as streamer is conected to that via ethernet ports? or is this incorrect?

If i connect my NAS device to router via ethernet that means the NAS drive will be in my house. how then will the streamer connect to everything?

daveh75

hammill said:
However if the garage is connected to a different consumer unit (fuse box) then you will have a problem.

They pump out so much crap they may even still work.

As I discovered when trouble shooting a friends network and found 3 extra homeplugs he didnt have (a neighbours, and neither were using encryption).*biggrin*

daveh75

krish123 said:
Al ears said:

Sorry that doesnt quite make sense to me.

I thought the homeplug would be plugged into my converted garage room and the nas device aswell as streamer is conected to that via ethernet ports? or is this incorrect?

If i connect my NAS device to router via ethernet that means the NAS drive will be in my house. how then will the streamer connect to everything?

Are you only intending using the NAS with the streamer in the garage or do you want to be able to access it froNASther devices elsewhere on the network to?

If the former you don't really need a NAS. Just get a player/streamer with a built in HDD or that you can coonect one too via USB

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
urm it would be mostly for streaming but may use it to connect to my laptop aswell. you say USB but how much starage capacity do they have these days ? Also dont you get best sound quality from a streamer through the NAS rather than usb input?

You'll only need homeplug if you are trying to connect two items that are remote from each other. If all are in your garage then why not plug Nas or simply a portable hard drive directly into the streamer? I am a tad confused.

fidelnirvana

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Krish,

homeplug is the simplest solution. If it works, great.
In main house:-
Internet radio/music streaming service -> Wireless Router (home network) -> ethernet cable -> Home plug -> Mains
computer -> ethernet cable -> home network
nas -> ethernet cable -> home network

In the garage:-
Mains -> Home plug -> ethernet cable -> NA11 Network player

If the homeplug does not work, you could try using a wireless repeater in the garage.

Wireless repeater/access point -> ethernet cable -> NA11 Network player

The wireless repeater will boost the wireless signal from the wireless router in your house.

I tend to use network streaming (laptop has JRiver acting as streaming server) and the front USB with 64GB stick attached more often than the laptop USB output. I find it convenient to control via an ipad.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
You'll only need homeplug if you are trying to connect two items that are remote from each other. If all are in your garage then why not plug Nas or simply a portable hard drive directly into the streamer? I am a tad confused.

Ahhh, maybe i dont need a homeplug then or even a NAS drive. i already have a Portable HD of 500gb if i plug this directly into the SB front port of the marantz streamer this will work right?

Sorry i just presumed the marantz needed an ethernet connection and so to the NAS drive.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
if i just decide to use a portable harddrive and connect this via front USB of my streamer will i be able to build up playlists etc this way or would i need a NAS drive for this? just wondering whether its worth getting a nas or just sticking to a portable harddrive.

manicm

krish123 said:
if i just decide to use a portable harddrive and connect this via front USB of my streamer will i be able to build up playlists etc this way or would i need a NAS drive for this? just wondering whether its worth getting a nas or just sticking to a portable harddrive.

Most streamers only allow basic browsing through USB i.e. folder/file browsing. Structure folders by Artist/Album/Song. NAS, via music server software like Twonky/Asset/iTunes etc allows more complex storing and browsing, and tagging, playlists etc as well as transcoding options, and of-course album art on your remote device.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
krish123 said:

Most streamers only allow basic browsing through USB i.e. folder/file browsing. Structure folders by Artist/Album/Song. NAS, via music server software like Twonky/Asset/iTunes etc allows more complex storing and browsing, and tagging, playlists etc as well as transcoding options, and of-course album art on your remote device.

Thanks for that. So if i were to use a NAS connected directly to the streamer via usb i would be able to have more control over playlists and be able to see album art etc through my phone for example? what app would i have to have on my phone to view all of this information then? will this require my nas to be connected to my router as if i connected this directly into the streamer wouldnt this prevent the need for the nas to be connected to my router?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts