Connecting sonos ZP90 to a DAC and amp

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I which to purchase a DAC to sit between my ZP90 and amplifier. The ZP90 has opitical, coax and usb outs. Which connection do people recommend - What are the advantages of each? What would be a sensible amonut of money to spent on connecting cables? I will probably go for a DACmagic or beresford Caiman. Do people think that this £200 well spent? Would I also notice an improvement if i connect my Arcam alpha one CDP to either of these DAC's? Is it correct that arcam are about to bring out a DAC.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dan.m:I which to purchase a DAC to sit between my ZP90 and amplifier. The ZP90 has opitical, coax and usb outs.

No it doesn't, there's no USB connections on any Sonos Zoneplayer. There's two ethernet ports but they aren't the same thing.

Which connection do people recommend - What are the advantages of each?

Well, in theory optical won't suffer from electrical interference but coax doesn't require the two stages of electrical to optical conversion and back again that the optical connection does. I've tried both, couldn't hear any difference to be honest.

What would be a sensible amonut of money to spent on connecting cables?

Worms.

Can.

Opened.

I will probably go for a DACmagic or beresford Caiman. Do people think that this £200 well spent?

I would say so but it will depend a little on what amp you've got.

Would I also notice an improvement if i connect my Arcam alpha one CDP to either of these DAC's? Is it correct that arcam are about to bring out a DAC.

Yes they are, £300 apparently.

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
IHC - I stand corrected - they are both ethernet connections (I was looking in low light conditions!). Do you have a sonos - i must say i am impressed. Just feel i need a DAC to maximise my lossless files via my hifi set up. I currently have a 15 yr old 30 watt rotel amp with arcam alpha one CDP and B&W 601's. However, I have audtioned a Naim XS amp a couple of times and will probably buy. I was hoping naim would bring out a amp/DAC combo similar to the supernait but cheaper (approx £1800).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dan.m:IHC - I stand corrected - they are both ethernet connections (I was looking in low light conditions!). Do you have a sonos - i must say i am impressed.

Yes I do, had it about 18 months now, I'm beyond impressed now, it's now a thing that just works and never fails. I was demonstrating it to some friends last night as it happens, not sure how impressed they were, they're not really technical and couldn't get their heads around music on a computer...

Just feel i need a DAC to maximise my lossless files via my hifi set up.

The DAC in the ZP90 can certainly be improved upon, no question of that.

I currently have a 15 yr old 30 watt rotel amp with arcam alpha one CDP and B&W 601's. However, I have audtioned a Naim XS amp a couple of times and will probably buy. I was hoping naim would bring out a amp/DAC combo similar to the supernait but cheaper (approx £1800).

I'd guess it would be worth spending a reasonable proportion on a decent dac then in that case.

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andy, I was hoping for such a comment. From a price point of view i will be getting a similar amp/speaker combo to yourself, so its good to hear the DACmagic made a big difference. Out of interest, have have you connected your Arcam CDP to the DAC. I would expect the DAC in your CDP to be better than the DACmagic - but there again........

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
No I've not tried that, I have posted about this a couple of time.

CDP vs Dac well IMHO it's very very close.

The dac has stonger more dynamic bass.

The cdp has better mids and high, just seems that little smoother and gets that last 1% if you know what I mean.

These are my findings but like anything it's very subjective.

You do have to remember when I bought my cdp it was still a currant model and cost me £900, so for a £230 dac to get close to this in sound I think is amazing.

I would love to try a higher end dac and am looking forward to the Arcam dac reviews when it's released.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts