Connecting Panasonic BD60 Blu Ray to Sony STR-DA1200ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi 

I have just replaced my denon 1930 with the panasonic bd60.  The problem is that I can't get audio through any of my surround speakers (all 5).  I was told that all I need to do is connect bd60 to amp with HDMI and Optical Digital which I have done.  I have adjusted all menus (I think!) accordingly but with no joy.

Please help.

Many thanks,

Paul. 

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You don't need the optical lead - the sound and picture are both carried by HDMI. In fact, HD sound formats cannot use optical. I'd double check your player settings (secondary audio off, for example) and the input settings on your receiver.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your quick response. ÿI had the Denon connected with a digital coaxial lead, but the bd60 only has optical. ÿThat's the only difference. ÿUpon further reading Sony manual it only mentions connecting DVD by coaxial. ÿDoes this mean the Sony only supports audio through coaxial for DVD?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No, it will definitely support the optical input. You'll need to go into the Sony's menu and change it so that the DVD input is set to whichever optical input you have Blu-Ray player plugged into. You'll also need to ensure the Panasonic knows it should be outputting sound via the optical rather than the HDMI. Once this is done, that should get it working.

Let us know if you're still having issues and I'll see if I can track down a manual for the Sony and the Panny.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
as above the sony will not accept sound over hdmi - i used to have this amp and i don't think it was ever very clear as was one of first with hdmi inputs that they only accepted images and no sound - major weakness in this amp and something that what hi fi usually points out but not that i remeber when they reviewed it

i would send back the bd60 and buy the bd80 which has a full set of 7.1 outputs and then you could get the latest hd audio codecs through the sony using the 7.1 outputs and inputs

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
GARGEP1:Thanks for your quick response. ÿI had the Denon connected with a digital coaxial lead, but the bd60 only has optical. ÿThat's the only difference. ÿUpon further reading Sony manual it only mentions connecting DVD by coaxial. ÿDoes this mean the Sony only supports audio through coaxial for DVD?

You would be better off getting three pairs of stereo cables and connecting throught the multi channel inputs on the BD player - you will then get HD audio which you won't using coaxial or optical.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:GARGEP1:Thanks for your quick response. I had the Denon connected with a digital coaxial lead, but the bd60 only has optical. That's the only difference. Upon further reading Sony manual it only mentions connecting DVD by coaxial. Does this mean the Sony only supports audio through coaxial for DVD? You would be better off getting three pairs of stereo cables and connecting throught the multi channel inputs on the BD player - you will then get HD audio which you won't using coaxial or optical.

don't think the bd60 has a full set of outputs - think that the difference between the bd60 and bd80 - needs to send it back

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:You would be better off getting three pairs of stereo cables and connecting throught the multi channel inputs on the BD player - you will then get HD audio which you won't using coaxial or optical.

Can't do this as the BD60 doesn't have multichannel outputs.

Okay - looked through the manuals - for the amp settings, look at page 86 of the Sony manual, this should guide you through setting the DVD input to use whichever optical input you have connected the Blu-Ray player to.

For the Panasonic, look at page 31 of the manual - about halfway down it has the HDMI Audio Output setting which needs to be set to Off. Also, on page 30, under Digital Audio Output, set this to Bitstream if it's not already.

Should all work then hopefully.

A

Anonymous

Thanks professorhat.

I have just checked on the input mode under DVD and the only choice is auto, coaxial or analog. I had it set to auto to pick up whether I wanted to hear through surround speakers or the tv speakers. ÿI checked on the bd60 menu and I can't see anything specific to output audio by optical. I have HDMI audio set to off.

If you can provide any further help that would be fantastic.ÿ

Paul.ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have you looked at page 86 of the manual. It says to do the following:

1. Press Receiver.

2. Press Menu.

3. Press up / down arrow keys to select Audio Settings, then press enter.

4. Press up / down arrow keys to select Digital Assign ?, then press enter.

5. Press up / down arrow keys to select the required digital audio input e.g. VIDEO 1 OPT (look at the back of the amp to see which one your BD player is connected into), then press enter.

6. Press up / down arrow keys to select the input i.e. in this case DVD and finally press enter.

That should do it.

A

Anonymous

Professorhat you are an absolute star. ÿI am now watching The Shawshank Redemption in full hd with surround sound. Kill Bill 1 & 2 (Blu-ray) are being delivered tomorrow - can't wait!

I'm genuinely very grateful for your help - I was on the verge of av induced violence!

Thanks again,

Paul.ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts