Connecting DAC to Amplifier

bezza79

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I was after some advice on the best way to connect my computer to my DAC (CA DACmagic) and DAC to amplifier. I'm looking to upgrade to a Wireworld ultraviolet USB to connect the computer to DAC and an Atlas Equator for DAC to amp.

Do I -

a) Have a 5 meter Wireworld cable and a 1 meter Atlas or

b) vice versa

I listen to mainly drum and bass and dance music so any additional advice on the interconnect between the DAC and the Amp would also be much appreciated.

thanks

idc

Hi bezza79. Buy either cable form somewhere you can get a return. It is doubtful that the USB will be any better than a far cheaper one and there is an interconnect called Silver High Breed, available from ebay that has got consistently rave reviews on the forum, myself included. I use mine to connect DAC to amp.If you have the budget and really want tot get your suggestions far enough. But try out a comparison to see if they really sound different.

bezza79

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That's the main reason I was attracted to the Wireworld lead as its offered with a ten day money back guarantee, that and the rave review given to it by WHF! I have read some of the posts on the Silver High Breed and the price does sound very tempting. Do you know of any RCA's that have a trial period?

idc

Atlas say that there dealers allow a home trial on payment of a deposit.... http://www.atlascables.com/index.php?id=116. SHB also do returns.

It is more the USB cable that I think needs to be auditioned.My experience of USB cables is that they make no difference and the 'designer' one I bought for £27 is my biggest waste of money with hifi. From another thread here.... http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/310507.aspx I am convinced that it is not worth spending money on 'designer' cables. So long that it is well made, has decent connections and meets USB specifications, any cheap USB should be fine.

bezza79

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, that is some post, I may not understand the science but its quite a clear and compelling argument.

I currently have it connected with a gold plated USB that cost about £10 and the computer guy said it was pretty indestructible. I may concentrate on the Atlas/SHB solution until the money burns a big enough hole in my pocket!! On the cable lengths do you think I should get a 1m or 5m RCA and vice versa with the USB, which would sound best?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The USB organisation recommend a maximum of 5m for a single length. Good enough for me.

I use a John Lewis own brand 5m USB 2.0 cable that cost about £8 and was reduced from £20. (It just happened to be the only 5m long cable I could find where I happened to be shopping that day.)

Just get yourself a decent 5m USB cable from a well known brand like Belkin and spend whatever you like/can afford on the 1m phono cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts