Connecting AV Amp and HiFi amp to same speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a 5.1 RS Silver Monitor Audio set of speakers connected to a Denon AV Amp. I'm now looking to buy a separate HiFi Amp and CD (Reduced down to Cyrus, Naim or Roksan) but what is the recommendation for connecting both Amps to the front speakers. Is there a connection/Switch box I can use? I have looked but can only find Multiple speaker switches. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

sirussell:
Hi,

I currently have a 5.1 RS Silver Monitor Audio set of speakers connected to a Denon AV Amp. I'm now looking to buy a separate HiFi Amp and CD (Reduced down to Cyrus, Naim or Roksan) but what is the recommendation for connecting both Amps to the front speakers. Is there a connection/Switch box I can use? I have looked but can only find Multiple speaker switches. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

You need an AV amp with preouts. What model do you have?

A

Anonymous

I've been wondering about this for ages too.
Was thinking that you could just run both sets of cables to the front channels from the hifi & av amp. Obviously you'd only have one amp on at a time, would this work or am I having a major brain fade on this?!

A

Anonymous

Done a bit more research on this...Seems the way to go is Front Channel Pre-outs (luckily available on my Denon 1906) wire these up to the input on the HiFi amp and then you've got separate HiFi but need both amps on for AV..HiFi amp for the fronts and AV amp for all the others. Not sure how you would ensure balanced volume though?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Correct. On the volume front, choose a volume setting on the stereo amp you can replicate easily - I usually suggest the 10 o'clock position on the volume control. Some amps also offer a unity gain function on one or more inputs, such as the AV one, for just this purpose.

Balance up the levels of the channels, either using the automatic set-up on the receiver or test-tones and a sound pressure meter, and you're done.

When you want to listen to music, the AV amp is off and out of circuit. When you want to listen to movies, choose the input to which the front preouts on the AV amp are connected, set the volume level you chose on the stereo amp, and after that just use the volume control on the AV amp to adjust the listening level.

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew

Am thinking of doing the same to hook into some Dali Icon 6's, and associated surrounds.

I have a Onkyo 605 which doesn't have pre-outs.......any recommendations to upgrade to, baring in mind that I'm happy with the surround sound from the onkyo? My thoughts were about 600GBP for the receiver, and 600GBP for the amp.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts