Connecting an iPhone or Mac to my Marantz pm6005. How?

Infeh

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Heya!

I've just entered the wondrous world of hi-fi after using just pc speakers my entire life. I've been searching and lurking for quite some time on what gear to buy for my setup. and i've decided on the Marantz pm6005 as my receiver. I'll mainly be using this for vinyl, but i do sometimes like to throw parties and i'd love to be able to just let people plug in their iphone or use my macbook to stream youtube and spotify.

My question is: How can i connect an iphone or mac or even both while using the built-in phono for my turntable? I see there is both an optical and coaxial audio in. Will i just have to use an optical cable with a 3.5mm minijack like this one: Optical Toslink Mini Plug Cable? Will i be able to connect and iphone or macbook using the cable? i'm not too bothered about not getting the full quality as most streaming and youtube isn't lossless anyway. I will be using my vinyls for that purpose. this is mainly for casual listening/parties.

Thanks!

iMark

Infeh said:
My question is: How can i connect an iphone or mac or even both while using the built-in phono for my turntable? I see there is both an optical and coaxial audio in. Will i just have to use an optical cable with a 3.5mm minijack like this one: Optical Toslink Mini Plug Cable? Will i be able to connect and iphone or macbook using the cable? i'm not too bothered about not getting the full quality as most streaming and youtube isn't lossless anyway. I will be using my vinyls for that purpose. this is mainly for casual listening/parties.

Basically the question is which DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) are you going to use? On the iPhone you could use the headphone jack and connect it to the amp with a simple minijack to jack (red/white) cable. You then use the DAC in the iPhone. Output directly from the iPhone is always analogue.

It depends on your MacBook what output options you have. Newer MacBooks only have a headphone output. Older models have a combination analogue/digital jack.

But there's always the nuisance of running a cable from your device to the amp, which is not very convenient. I recommend investing in an Airport Express and connect it with an optical cable to the amp. Basically, the Airport Express becomes part of your home WiFi network and any device that supports AirPlay can stream music to the Airport Express. The main advantage is that your device doesn't have to be next to the amp. Another advantage is that you make full use of the DAC in your Marantz. Everything is streamed digitally from either from your iPhone or MacBook to the Airport Express and the digital signal is converterd by the DAC in your amp, which is better than the DAC in your iPhone or MacBook.

We have had an Airport Express for over 6 years now (the previous model) and it works great in combination with our DAC and amp.

Infeh

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
iMark said:
But there's always the nuisance of running a cable from your device to the amp, which is not very convenient. I recommend investing in an Airport Express and connect it with an optical cable to the amp. Basically, the Airport Express becomes part of your home WiFi network and any device that supports AirPlay can stream music to the Airport Express. The main advantage is that your device doesn't have to be next to the amp. Another advantage is that you make full use of the DAC in your Marantz. Everything is streamed digitally from either from your iPhone or MacBook to the Airport Express and the digital signal is converterd by the DAC in your amp, which is better than the DAC in your iPhone or MacBook.

Thank you! the Airport express seems like the right solution since i'll be buying the MacBook pro 2016 whenever it's released.

and not having to worry about cables is always a plus. Thanks for the advice!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Infeh said:
Heya!

I've just entered the wondrous world of hi-fi after using just pc speakers my entire life. I've been searching and lurking for quite some time on what gear to buy for my setup. and i've decided on the Marantz pm6005 as my receiver. I'll mainly be using this for vinyl, but i do sometimes like to throw parties and i'd love to be able to just let people plug in their iphone or use my macbook to stream youtube and spotify.

My question is: How can i connect an iphone or mac or even both while using the built-in phono for my turntable? I see there is both an optical and coaxial audio in. Will i just have to use an optical cable with a 3.5mm minijack like this one: Optical Toslink Mini Plug Cable? Will i be able to connect and iphone or macbook using the cable? i'm not too bothered about not getting the full quality as most streaming and youtube isn't lossless anyway. I will be using my vinyls for that purpose. this is mainly for casual listening/parties

Thanks!

Casual get togethers and parties means lots of different phones, tablets etc. So that AirPort Express recommended previously will not be ideal.

I recommend a Bluetooth audio receiver like this (or similar) ...

clicky

... Just plug it into a spare (aux) input on the back of your amp with a 3.5mm jack - RCA phono lead.

Everyone has Bluetooth on their phones/tablets etc. whether they are Apple or not.

Infeh

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
Casual get togethers and parties means lots of different phones, tablets etc. So that AirPort Express recommended previously will not be ideal.

clicky

... Just plug it into a spare (aux) input on the back of your amp with a 3.5mm jack - RCA phono lead.

Everyone has Bluetooth on their phones/tablets etc. whether they are Apple or not.

This might be a stupid question ( I've never owned hi-fi before)

but the phono aux inputs i have left are labeled as tuner, cd, network, recorder. Does this matter at all? can i just plug anything using phono into those channels and it'll work just fine?

TrevC

Infeh said:
chebby said:

clicky

This might be a stupid question ( I've never owned hi-fi before)

but the phono aux inputs i have left are labeled as tuner, cd, network, recorder. Does this matter at all? can i just plug anything using phono into those channels and it'll work just fine?

Tuner or CD will work fine.

TRENDING THREADS