connecting a DacMagic Plus between Cambridge Audio Azur 650C and 650A amp - advice please

A

Anonymous

Hello there, I am so new to all this that I can't even work out how to do a post properly.

I have recently bought a HiFi separates system to go with my Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers. I am very new to HiFi being of the cassette generation and was relying on the advice of the guy in the shop when buying. I bought a Cambridge Audio Azur 650T tuner, 650C cd player and 650A amp. The guy told me to buy a DACMagigPlus and connect it between the CD and amp and likewise with the tuner and the amp. I have connected the CD and tuner to the DAC with optic cables and the DAC to the amp with phono cables.

I now note that the Cd and Tuner have upsamplers built in that seem to be the same spec as the DAC.

Have I done the right thing or been sold a load of twaddle?

help please?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Jerrycs said:
Hello there, I am so new to all this that I can't even work out how to do a post properly.

I have recently bought a HiFi separates system to go with my Tannoy Revolution R2 speakers. I am very new to HiFi being of the cassette generation and was relying on the advice of the guy in the shop when buying. I bought a Cambridge Audio Azur 650T tuner, 650C cd player and 650A amp. The guy told me to buy a DACMagigPlus and connect it between the CD and amp and likewise with the tuner and the amp. I have connected the CD and tuner to the DAC with optic cables and the DAC to the amp with phono cables.

I now note that the Cd and Tuner have upsamplers built in that seem to be the same spec as the DAC.

Have I done the right thing or been sold a load of twaddle?

help please?

Not a load of twaddle but there was no need for you to buy the DAC. You might have been better off trying the cd player and tuner connected directly to the amp with phono cables. If you weren't happy, you could add the DAC at a later date. Personally, I reckon it's a little bit overkill and wouldn't imagine much difference either way.

John Duncan

I'm guessing Richer Sounds :)

I agree though that the DACMagic plus could be a bit - though not *entirely* - superfluous bearing in mind the quality of dacs in the other components. Whilst they're a bit better in the DM+, i'm not convinced it'd be 350 quid better.

Easy to assess though, by having the sources plugged into both the amp and the DM+ and flip between the original source and the DM+-enhanced one. If you can tell a difference then you can judge whether it's worth what you paid for it. If not, I'd be urging RS to take it back (though they'd be under no obligation to do so, of course).

Of course, you may actually have a use for the DM+ by plugging a laptop or Airport Express into it for streaming purposes; reading between the lines I suspect not.

FanTAStic speakers btw...:-D

T

the record spot

If you bought within the last 14 days, RS will take it back - store policy. I did the same with a DacMagic I bought two years back and the guys refunded me with no quibble.

A

Anonymous

thank you for all the guidance, yes you have guessed the shop right!

unfortunately, it is now about a month since I bought the DAC, so I doubt I can return...I will see if it sounds any different without...

live and lean I suppose!!:oops:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts