Confused? - You could be.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding some of the more recent WHFSAV reviews confusing?

I have just read, with interest, the review of the Wharfedale DS-1 speakers. Herein they are described as 'what we'd call ideal desktop sze'. Their competition is the Ruark Audio MR1 speakers which were described as 'slightly bigger than what we deem perfect desktop size'.

The DS-1's are 19 x 11 x 15cm and the MR1's are 17 x 13 x 13.5cm

Que???

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Is it just me or is anyone else finding some of the more recent WHFSAV reviews confusing?

I have just read, with interest, the review of the Wharfedale DS-1 speakers. Herein they are described as 'what we'd call ideal desktop sze'. Their competition is the Ruark Audio MR1 speakers which were described as 'slightly bigger than what we deem perfect desktop size'.

Que???

The ideal desktop speaker is no wider than 12 cm.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
At least the English has improved recently! I guess they have employed a sub with GCSE English.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

PS Doesn't the size of a "perfect desktop speaker" depend on how big your desk is?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
At least the English has improved recently! I guess they have employed a sub with GCSE English.

Chris

PS Doesn't the size of a "perfect desktop speaker" depend on how big your desk is?

She always told me it wasn't the size of one's desk, but how one used it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Wharfs take the more classical standmout speaker concept but are small enough for the desk. The Ruarks although cute, are more gadget/furniture/appliance.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

She always told me it wasn't the size of one's desk, but how one used it.

I think you have misspelt a word there.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

DocG said:
Al ears said:

Que???

But can be as tall as your ceiling eh?

Being pedantic here but they say 'size' (generally accepted as meaning overall dimensions) and not width.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:

Que???

Being pedantic here but they say 'size' (generally accepted as meaning overall dimensions) and not width.

Oops, my mistake! I know I shouldn't attempt humour in a foreign language...*fool*

Won't happen again! (Of course it will!)

DocG said:
Al ears said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:

Que???

Oops, my mistake! I know I shouldn't attempt humour in a foreign language...*fool*

You carry on DocG, I had a feeling it might have been said in jest.

I am the same and usually end up putting a 'smiley' at the end just to indicate I am joking (and English is my native language even though I live in Wales).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:
DocG said:
Al ears said:

Que???

You carry on DocG, I had a feeling it might have been said in jest.

I am the same and usually end up putting a 'smiley' at the end just to indicate I am joking (and English is my native language even though I live in Wales).

Yes, but smileys don't always come through when I type on an iThing... *dash1* (though this time it does, apparently...)

I read the mag last night and also wondered about this! As Vlad says, the dimensions look a bit different thanks to the styling and that maybe alters the way they're perceived.

A shame the pics, excellent in themselves, more often than not fail to show the fronts/grilles in place in speaker reviews. I suspect more of us keep the grilles on than remove them.

nopiano said:
I read the mag last night and also wondered about this! As Vlad says, the dimensions look a bit different thanks to the styling and that maybe alters the way they're perceived.

A shame the pics, excellent in themselves, more often than not fail to show the fronts/grilles in place in speaker reviews. I suspect more of us keep the grilles on than remove them.

Agreed, you would think they'd include a shot of the pair one with the grilles in place and the other bare. I have read a few threads in the past regards benefits of on-or-off for effects on sound quality but through years of experimenting never noticed any difference. I don't think many people are going to be taking grilles off these desktop 'monitors' though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts