Confused re 1080p to 4k upscaling

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Today i finally got my uehu8200 55 inch 4k tv loving it and its amazing but does it upscale the content nativley or do you need to turn an option on somewhere as it looks good but i expected it to look amazing ? cant find anything in the menus ?

thanks

Upscaling simply means filling the screen. If the entire screen is filled with the picture, it is upscaled. Otherwise, a 1080p picture would fill only the centre 25% of the screen.

Obviously, upscaled picture can never look sharper than the original picture, as Daveh75 mentions. Some TVs are better upscalers than others, which aim to get the 4K picture as close as the 1080p original.

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Never mind used Google big boss's answer below covers it If the picture fills the screen, it means the picture is getting upscaled to 4K. If it did not upscale, the picture would be tiny in the middle of the screen with black all round.

It will still say "1080p" because the source is 1080p. 4K upscaling only fills up the screen, it does not "improve" 1080p picture quality.

I post that here incase anyone needs it ;-)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Upscaled content will never look amazing.

I disagree. Good quality 1080p material on Bluray can look stunning on UHD projectors - David Fincher's Zodiac is one such disc. I find it is down to the quality of upscaling of the TV/PJ, and the quality of the signal (whatever the source) in the first place.

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I found that after using the settings off the net if looked a bit blurry so i tweaked them myself and now id say broadcast hd channels all look blu ray quality so impressed with that also the 3d is stunning much better than my old tv which was a 46 inch samsung not sure if its the extra size making it pop more but its brilliant

Yes, this year's 4K TVs are brilliant upscalers. We could hardly perceive any difference between them and 1080p TVs at the shootout I attended recently.

What I meant was it will never look better than a 1080p TV displaying a 1080p picture.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, this year's 4K TVs are brilliant upscalers. We could hardly perceive any difference between them and 1080p TVs at the shootout I attended recently.

With Samsung currently being the best brand at upscaling maybe? I expect that other manufacturers will catch up before too long though.

bigboss said:
What I meant was it will never look better than a 1080p TV displaying a 1080p picture.

I must immediately say that I've never seen a comparison between a 4K set showing a 1080p picture and a 1080p set showing the same 1080p picture, so I speak from ignorance! But, I did ask a well-respected dealer here in Edinburgh this very question about five months ago, and he said that sometimes 1080p material on a 4K set could (he was careful not to be dogmatic) look better than 1080p material on a 1080p set.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well IMO upscaling SD 576i to 1080i on a 1080 TV can look better than an SD TV out putting 576i. It's all down to the processors

I've seen DVD on an analogu PC monitor look much much better the a designated DVD player connected a CRT TV and that was just Power DVD.

So there is no reason why a 1080 resolution picture upscaled to 4K shouldn't look better if the processor is better in the first place if my understanding is correct.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
So there is no reason why a 1080 resolution picture upscaled to 4K shouldn't look better if the processor is better in the first place if my understanding is correct.

This review of the excellent Samsung UE55HU7500 seems to agree with you http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55hu7500-review-2

from which let me highlight one relevant paragraph about upscaling:
"The UE55HU7500’s 55-inch screen proves amply big enough to highlight the advantages of UHD’s extra resolution - including, we’re pleased to say, the advantages a native UHD screen can bring to non-UHD source content. Samsung’s UHD upscaling engine is a brilliant effort, especially if you’ve taken care with the TV’s sharpness setting as described in the setup section. There’s palpably more detail and, especially, pixel density in upscaled HD images than you could hope to see on a mere HD screen, and it’s all added to images with stellar accuracy and naturalism thanks to the quality and power of Samsung’s processing engine."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts