Confused over turntables

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello John,

Don't know what happened there,anyway,I'm trying to sort myself out with a decent turntable with a spending limit of £300.I have at the moment an old Technics system bought off Ebay,paid £80 for it and,of course,you get what you pay for.Like a lot of people I have reclaimed from the loft a lot of my old vinyl and after 50 years it is still wonderful to listen to.I am scouring the depths of Ebay and buying old LPs of groups that I used to love in my younger days.

I would really like to upgrade my system starting with the turntable but I find the choice I have rather confusing,I understand that the best T/Ts are manual ones but I don't like the idea of having to return the tone arm to the rest at the end of the record,what happens if you doze off while playing a record,does the stylus get ruined by the continuous jumping on the "run off" end of the groove?

Are there any decent automatic or even semi automatic decks out there,or is there no problem with leaving a record to spin for a short period at the end of the disc.

Thanks in advance

John Duncan

No worries, and welcome to the forum :)

I'd say there's absolutely no problem lettng a cartridge run in an end groove for long periods, and I would certainly agree that a manual turntable will give you the best quality for your money. Indeed, I think you'll struggle to find a new turntable that does that any more - my old Dual CS505-2 used to lift off at the end of the side, and you could certainly pick one of those up on eBay for peanuts.

However, in terms of newer decks for your budget I would be looking at the Rega RP1 and Pro-ject Debut or Genie ranges (depending on which you prefer the look of). Any of those will give you excellent sound quality for the money.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post,I'm not really up to speed equipment wise as I was brought up in the days of radiograms and the good old cassette player and recorder.

Anyway I've been looking at the Pro-ject range of turntables which seem to be really good value for money,especially the Debut Carbon as I think the "piano black" finish looks really lovely,although I will do a bit of research on the Rega site too.

Now you have put my mind at ease regarding the run off and wear on the stylus I have a lot more options to choose from.

Thanks once again guys,I 'm glad I've found your really helpful forum.

Regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oddly enough, all my turntables are auto stop, return or fully automatic ... even the old Garrard. The Technics SL-6 even has track programing.

Auto stop is handy I have to say.

Whatever you choose, get something with a lid!

regards

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I must admit that I like the idea of the turntable being able to turn itself off in the event of me falling asleep whilst listening to War of the Worlds.

As for the lid,a must have in my opinion,HI-FI equipment is a proper dust magnet.

iMark

We bought a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort last year because it's one of the only modern TT's with auto switch off. It's full proof though, especially with older records. The UK importer doesn't sell them because they sometimes go wrong.

The Pro-Ject replaced my inherited Dual CS-1249 which unfortunately has a special pitch control belt for which I can't find a spare part anywhere.

I also quite like auto switch off. Beats rushing to the TT at the end of record.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Stretch your budget a bit and go for this, or something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kenwood-High-End-Plattenspieler-KD-990-TOP-Rechnung-auf-Ihren-Namen-/300974736989?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item46137e065d

Give yourself a week-end break over to Germany to pick it up.

The KD-990 will give you Linn LP12 beating sound quality, which is something that the budget belt drive Duals and Pro-jects won't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts