Confessions of an addict....

matthewpiano

This isn't intended to be any sort of recommendation or review of the equipment I am using now but more a friendly reminder from experience.

Since I've had my system in its present form I've really been enjoying listening to music, re-discovering stuff I've always loved and getting to know quite a bit of new music too. I've also been reading more books, enjoying more films, and actually spending my recreation time relaxing. It has made me realise that the hi-fi obsession has been somewhat out of control and that all the testing, box-swapping and this forum have overtaken my life too much. Although most of the combinations of kit I've had here haven't touched the spot there has been about 4 times when things have come together to a point where I was enjoying the music and where I could have comfortably stopped. One was a system based around the Rotel RA-01 with Arcam CD73T and MA B2s, another was my Cambridge 740C and 740A set-up with Mezzo 2s, and the other was a system based around a Creek 4330R. The 4th is my present system. Any of these systems could/should have been a chance to settle down but instead the obsession with trying to get that little bit better led me through all sorts of 2nd rate stuff and lots of messing around buying, selling on Ebay, and plugging and un-plugging different combinations. I have tired of it all, and I've been round the circuit more than enough times to know when everything is right.

The moral of the story? If you are really enjoying your music, question whether you really need to make that next change. Value what you might lose as well as what you might gain. The whole point of all this hi-fi malarky is to get closer to the music. If the music draws you in, gets your feet tapping, moves you emotionally then your system is right. So why change it? Why not just relax, enjoy what you have achieved and also leave room for all the other things you enjoy in your life.

Listening in these past few weeks I've realised how removed I've become from some of the music. Some albums and works I'd forgotten, some had become shadows of themselves. Relaxing and enjoying them in wonderful sound is quickly re-invigorating them and, at the same time, the space left by the end of all the hi-fi messing has allowed me to re-invigorate some of my other interests. I could have done this by stopping with any one of those systems mentioned above.

matthewpiano said:
This isn't intended to be any sort of recommendation or review of the equipment I am using now but more a friendly reminder from experience.

The moral of the story? If you are really enjoying your music, question whether you really need to make that next change. Value what you might lose as well as what you might gain. The whole point of all this hi-fi malarky is to get closer to the music. If the music draws you in, gets your feet tapping, moves you emotionally then your system is right. So why change it? Why not just relax, enjoy what you have achieved and also leave room for all the other things you enjoy in your life.

Listening in these past few weeks I've realised how removed I've become from some of the music. Some albums and works I'd forgotten, some had become shadows of themselves. Relaxing and enjoying them in wonderful sound is quickly re-invigorating them and, at the same time, the space left by the end of all the hi-fi messing has allowed me to re-invigorate some of my other interests. I could have done this by stopping with any one of those systems mentioned above.

Think we all have periods where we concern ourselves too much about things that don't have much relevence, and in doing so forget about the important bit: The music.

matthewpiano

There will be no 'fifth' for a long time to come, trust me. The benefits of settling with the musical enjoyment are too significant. Yes, I was planning on Audio Note speakers but £800 for one component is realistically beyond my means and once I heard the Dyns with the Exposure I decided it was un-necessary. There is something about the Exposure/Dynaudio match that just works.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You give up the search just because you found Dynaudio... ;)

Exposure 3010 was one of the amps that I would like very much to demo!!! But no dealer in Portugal unfortunately...

Dynaudio stand mout speakers are like that, when well paired there's like no other!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
...The moral of the story? If you are really enjoying your music, question whether you really need to make that next change. Value what you might lose as well as what you might gain. The whole point of all this hi-fi malarky is to get closer to the music. If the music draws you in, gets your feet tapping, moves you emotionally then your system is right. So why change it? Why not just relax, enjoy what you have achieved and also leave room for all the other things you enjoy in your life...

I've had this conversation with myself several times already. Should I upgrade my Neutron's to ADM's? The Neutron's sound great, do everything I want and I enjoy the music without thinking about the hifi. More importantly they don't do anything wrong or have any little niggles that I dislike. Not only that but the ADM's don't have a display or remote control operated subwoofer volume which I'd dearly miss.

And yet the itch of upgradis is always there. I've almost pulled the trigger on some ADM's a couple of times in the past but I have to ask the question is it really worth spending £2000 when I'm already very happy with what I have? Thank god I'm skint again at the moment and have no choice but to stick with the Neutron's. :roll:

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I quite agree with the OP and listening to various demos of equipment in HiFi shops over the years has persuaded me that more expensive equipment does not necessarily sound better than what I've already got and it would have been a mistake to replace it. Consequently I've only bought equipment that has provided new functionality such as a Network player with DAB radio that also accesses Internet Radio and my Computer and NAS server.

I would like a 2nd system for another room but I've not yet heard any speakers small enough to be acceptable by my wife that have sounded as good as my larger speakers in my existing system. It would also be nice to have an amplifier with remote control but find it difficult to justify having to pay the several hundred pounds to get something on a par with my existing one just for this feature.

I've never considered myself to be an 'audiophile' as it seems to me that they are usually never quite satisfied with the system they've got and are forever looking for new equipment, often with marginal improvement and also to the detriment of enjoying the music.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A lot of what you say Matthew mirrors some of my experiences over the last 5 or 6 years. I can't remember all the different bits of kit I've been through before finally settling down with my current set-up that has been in place for well over a year now and is set to remain so for the forseeable future. In fact I've down-sized recently. I realised I did not require a seperate DAC, with both the Creek CDP and SBT having more than adequate DACs. I was only using my rDAC for very occasional playback from my PC so its going, and I'm using the onboard PC soundcard connected straight to my amp instead. I've even sold on my turntable (again) as I realised that I was barely using my Rega P3, and was just sat there gathering dust most of the time. Got a good price for it too (my word, haven't 2nd hand prices for TT's gone through the roof lately?). That's not to say I wont return to a turntable again in the future, but to be honest I find that everything I need is covered by my CDP and SBT.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Wise words Matthew... I've felt like that since being fortunate enough to get hold of the Accuphase, but I do have an itch to try other speakers! Why?!

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

T

the record spot

Yep pretty settled here too. Happy days. Good for you Matthew. Sit back and enjoy what you have. Nice setup!

i'm currently two thirds of the way through my box swapping cycle. i kept my last set-up for seven years. to my ears it sounded great, but curiosity got the better of me and i'm so glad it did.

i'm still totally blown away by the abilities of the Rega Apollo CD player. what a piece of kit this is.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
That's what all the addicts say. They spin a great story. Heck, they may even believe it themselves, but one day, just when they think they have it completely beaten, they begin to dabble. Just the once they say, and before you know it, they're back to their old habits.

I'm glad you are enjoying your current set-up, and I hope it continues to bring you joy for a long time to come. Keep us posted from time to time so we can talk you out of (or in to) any upgrades, downgrades, side-steps, or whatever :cheers:

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks its good to talk about something else then gear and its nice to stop and take a break. In my situation I've gone the wrong way and I just need to find musical speakers then I'll rest a while too. Ill just never buy again a speaker calibrated by computer analysis only or home theater designed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
drummerman said:
Just think what that 2010/3010 could do ... :)

regards

No thanks drummerman. The 1010 does everything I need and I doubt the 2010 is significantly better to be honest. I'm not bothered about finding out either!

Regards to you too!

Ah, the food for upgradeitis ...

Wouldn't you like to know for sure? ;)

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've had my current system for 3 years (in about 11 day's time).

It's the second longest period i've had one complete system for. The longest was for 11 years between 1996 - 2007.

Before that I had a 'Trigger's Broom' system where - every couple of years - an element would be upgraded / updated. Sometimes this would only be a new cartridge or a better cassette deck and the basic system 'core' (amp, speakers, turntable) would remain in place for longer.

The urge to change - for it's own sake - has pretty much left me for now. I almost bought a Naim UnitiQute last year but a long back-order time (6 weeks+) put a stop to that particular impulse and I have sold the last remaining 100 (approx) LPs that I had kicking around to ensure there was no point in getting another turntable.

A bit more choice in decent all-in-ones (between my M-CR603 and a £2800 Naim Uniti 2) might tempt me again. (And I am considering the Creek Evolution 50a with Ruby DAC + FM module in a few months when it's available.)

Anyhow, I am not 'straining at the leash' to change anything in what is - basically - still an excellent little system that I am enjoying every day. Any urge to return to separates is now stone-dead. (Even the Creek 50a with a module would still only be one box.)

I still get the 'lurgy' feeling (and headache warnings) whenever I think seriously of going into a hi-fi shop and that is good too. Keeps me out of the way of temptation :)

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Its not just me then, I have been on a bit of a box swapping cycle lately , its been fun at times but also frustrating, The spare room is full of hifi waiting to go on ebay, I have recently sold my BX6 towers which I originaly loved, but the size started to annoy me, especially after hearing a pair old AE 109 which I prefered the sound of, and much less dominating, Ever since my Marantz PM7001 died I have struggled to find anything to better it, I have tried yamaha AS500 amp, Onkyo 9030 amp, CA 351 cd player which I find to bright, A CA651 amp was returned to richers the next day, too thin!!

, I am now using Marantz MCR610 which I have had for two months and I have a gut feeling it will still be my main system in two years and probably a lot longer, it performs as good as most budget saperates with decent speakers,

It may seem an odd combination but the AE109 through the marantz gives a musical performance with an silky treble, it may be not the last word in accurate insightful detail. but its a long term fun listen, even spotify sounds involving,

I just cant be bothered with those clumsy boxes anymore, the marantz does it all for more or less the same sound quality,

My turntable is now routed into the Marant via a CA phono, The bulky yamaha AS500 is going on ebay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts