Computer based music, should that be at the top of the what hi-fi forum?

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
4
0
Visit site
Computer based music is way down the forum list, i wonder how long that will be the case, i am sure we are living in age where pc based music is the norm, who buy's cd's anymore?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,255
26
19,220
Visit site
jimm said:
...who buy's cd's anymore?

This fan of iTunes and AirPlay does.

I rip them to iTunes then sync to my iPhone.

Except for hosting iTunes, my computer hasn't much to do with the hifi anymore. Far easier to do everything (including BBC iPlayer radio and internet radio) wirelessly from my iPhone.

Having to have the computer on for music is a bit 'old-hat' now I suspect.
 

def lugs

New member
Jul 3, 2010
39
0
0
Visit site
ME :bigsmile: . I still buy 100% of all my music in hard copy format. e.g. CD, Bluray, DVD-A and Vinyl!! Admittedly I do not buy as much as I used to, and my preference is probably driven by the system I have to play it on. I am old school in my thinking but paying money to receive something that I can only use but not touch nor feel, leaves me with the impression that I have not bought it at all. For me, nothing beats the experience of buying a gatefold album and admiring the artwork/reading the sleeve notes etc. whilst listening to the music for the first time < Actually in the order on the album - rather than hitting random. I still have a lot of music ripped to a mp3 player, the format makes it so portable. If I want to listen to some music though the physical media formats still win.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,255
26
19,220
Visit site
jimm said:
Computer based music is way down the forum list, i wonder how long that will be the case...

I'm suprised that the hifi forum is at the top of the forum list at all (not that I use the list much*), given how much more popular AV systems, portable MP3 players, docks and headphones are than any hifi system (whether computer based or not).

*I always use 'active topics/latest posts' and never use the forum list (except if posting a new topic)...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/latest-posts
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,255
26
19,220
Visit site
def lugs said:
...nothing beats the experience of buying a gatefold album and admiring the artwork/reading the sleeve notes etc. whilst listening to the music for the first time < Actually in the order on the album - rather than hitting random.

I like to rip only those tracks that I really enjoy and leave out all the dross and 'make-weight' tracks that a lot of albums contain.

I never did read sleevenotes when I bought LPs.
 

Alec

Well-known member
Oct 8, 2007
478
0
18,890
Visit site
chebby said:
I like to rip only those tracks that I really enjoy and leave out all the dross and 'make-weight' tracks that a lot of albums contain.

Me too, though some think I'm a heathen for doing so. I must admit (like its a crime) that I download a fair bit too. Mind, the other day I was going to download just a few song from this or that album, then I found it was cheaper to buy the whole album second hand off Amazon.

I'm not that bothered where this section is placed.
 

RodhasGibson

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2008
191
9
18,595
Visit site
chebby said:
jimm said:
...who buy's cd's anymore?

This fan of iTunes and AirPlay does.

I rip them to iTunes then sync to my iPhone.

Except for hosting iTunes, my computer hasn't much to do with the hifi anymore. Far easier to do everything (including BBC iPlayer radio and internet radio) wirelessly from my iPhone.

Having to have the computer on for music is a bit 'old-hat' now I suspect.
+1 on that
 

RodhasGibson

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2008
191
9
18,595
Visit site
chebby said:
jimm said:
Computer based music is way down the forum list, i wonder how long that will be the case...

I'm suprised that the hifi forum is at the top of the forum list at all (not that I use the list much*), given how much more popular AV systems, portable MP3 players, docks and headphones are than any hifi system (whether computer based or not).

*I always use 'active topics/latest posts' and never use the forum list (except if posting a new topic)...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/latest-posts
Again +1 on this
 

RodhasGibson

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2008
191
9
18,595
Visit site
chebby said:
def lugs said:
...nothing beats the experience of buying a gatefold album and admiring the artwork/reading the sleeve notes etc. whilst listening to the music for the first time < Actually in the order on the album - rather than hitting random.

I like to rip only those tracks that I really enjoy and leave out all the dross and 'make-weight' tracks that a lot of albums contain.

I never did read sleevenotes when I bought LPs.
Same here but I did read read the sleeve notes mostly though.
 

RodhasGibson

Well-known member
Oct 10, 2008
191
9
18,595
Visit site
T B, No more than your kit deserves i"d say
smiley-wink.gif
 

Lee H

New member
Oct 7, 2010
336
0
0
Visit site
I buy CDs still. Spotify and such like is for discovering and trying stuff. If I like it, I'll go and buy it on hard copy, rip it and sync it. Aside from the greater payout to the artist, I like the better quality from a CD over a download. I even make 2 copies. A FLAC one for Sonos and an ALAC one for the phone.

There's also something special about owning a tangible product rather than a file on a hard drive. Maybe the generation after me will feel different, but I like owning something. It's still nice to run your fingers along a shelf once in a while, stop and think, "ooo, I've not played that for ages" and sit down and listen to it. We live in a random age. I caught myself doing it the other day, "All songs > shuffle > play" when it occured to me, what happened to playing an album in order, the way the artist intended it to be played. Take Green Day's American Idiot. It's designed to be played in order, it just doesn't work othewise.

End of rant :)
 

Alec

Well-known member
Oct 8, 2007
478
0
18,890
Visit site
I too make two copies. MP3 for all round compatibility (currently only use one device though) and WMA lossless as I use WMP.

I've also been known to listen to that Green Day album on shuffle, coz I'm a rebel :nana:
 

Lee H

New member
Oct 7, 2010
336
0
0
Visit site
al7478 said:
I too make two copies. MP3 for all round compatibility (currently only use one device though) and WMA lossless as I use WMP.

I've also been known to listen to that Green Day album on shuffle, coz I'm a rebel :nana:

Heathen! :twisted: :)

:rockout: :rant: :rockout:
 

Clare Newsome

New member
Jun 4, 2007
1,657
0
0
Visit site
According to industry research revealed yesterday, 75% of UK consumers still buy physical media, and 40% have yet to try any digital music service.

Yes, it's the future, but there's a huge difference between early adopters and the mainstream.

But we're always reviewing the titles and ordering of our Forums, so keep the feedback coming!
 

manicm

Well-known member
I now download some music but also buy CDs. Like the Pink Floyd remasters - I'm buying Dark Side Of The Moon (Discovery) and Wish You Were Here (Experience) for the covers alone. The current Dark Side cover (in all versions) are appalling. I'm only buying Animals for improved sound - hopefully - cos the current master sounds like mud.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
7
0
Visit site
There's quite a few CDs I own that I'd probably have happily downloaded instead had it not been cheaper to buy the CD, particularly used CDs. You'd think downloads would be a couple of quid cheaper than physical media, not the other way round. There's a material cost of producing a CD and its packaging which just isn't there with downloads, and I'd expect that to be reflected in a cheaper price.

The absence of a legal way to trade 'used' downloads is also a major put-off for me. It can be an excellent way of building-up a great catalogue on the cheap and an equally excellent way of exploring different artists and genres without wasting money. Many CDs on eBay change hands for a fiver or less and anything you don't like you can probably sell again without loss, maybe even make a pound or two.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I have bought a few downloads over the part few years, but more recently I have started compiling "playlists" on we7 PC music streaming; they have over 7.5 million tracks; I'm still using their free service with ads beTween tracks at present, but will migrate to their £4.99 a month ad-free service in the near future. Looking further ahead, I envisage buying an internet connection option for my car next year to access these playlists . . . so doing away with the need to buy/store downloads that I "own"; I currently do NOT make use of an iPod on the move, anyway. Those halcyon days of making my own compilations will be over! (although they do serve as a capsule and fond memory of particular times of one's life).
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts