Computer Based Hi-Fi - Product Check...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Before I begin I'd just like to say a big hello to everyone on here as this is my first post - I've been lurking the past few days and this seems like a really great place to learn and share info on all things Hi-Fi.

Ok, so currently my primary source for music is a Mac Pro using iTunes, speakers are JBL Creature II's - this is the problem... 

I always wanted to have a fairly good sound system without going overboard so here is what I have in mind:

Ferguson Hill FH007 (speakers and amp) & FH008 (subwoofer)  -  already ordered, 4 week ETA

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Mac > DAC Cable: Chord Optichord - 3m

DAC > Amp Cable: Chord Crimson (RCA) - 0.5m

Subwoofer Cable: Will try to use the bundled one initially if it is long enough - waiting on details here..   

Power (Amp & Sub): IXOS XHP125 First Series Mains Cable - 3m

Sky+ > Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner: QED Qunex ESV S-Video - 1m & IXOS XHA215-100 (RCA) - 1m

Just wondering what you all think before I order the other items and to see if you could offer up any improvements/alternatives to what I have selected. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Marty

John Duncan

Not familiar with the Ferguson Hill speaker package, but just given the costs involved I think the DACMagic may be a little superfluous. The audio output of a Mac Pro is pretty reasonable to begin with.

A

Anonymous

Hi John,ÿ

Many thanks for theÿresponse! :)

ÿJust before I posted up here last night I sent Tim Hill (at Ferguson Hill) an e-mail and he got back to me this afternoon saying "...I think that the Cambridge Audio DAC would be a very good purchase. It is a much better DAC than the basic ones found in Macs and PCs, and I think that the FH007 speaker system is revealing enough to show these differences."

ÿAnyhow I bought the DAC last night anyway, considering the CA DM's upscalingÿcapabilities, and since the large majority is lossless I believe it would be a worth while add-on considering the price.

Just to note the Mac only has on-board RealTec audio which can be found in many PCs so I wouldn't rate it all that highly forÿanalogueÿout. Digital out will bypass that though.

Any tips or recommendations on the cabling side would be greatlyÿappreciatedÿthough - sure I'll have other questions shortly too!

Thanks again, Marty.ÿ

ÿÿ

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Marty,

I know this is an old post, but I've just discovered the Ferguson Hill Speakers, and I'm besotted with their looks. I'm going to try to listen to them somewhere as soon as I can, but as i'd be using a similar set-up to you, I'm very interested to know what you think. Presumably now you've had some time to let them settle in!

You can see from my sig my set-up at the moment, but i'd be very interested to hear you views, oh if only I could afford their big brothers!!

Looking forward to your response.

Jon

TRENDING THREADS