Completely Off-topic Request

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
When responding to a point by quoting a post, can we pretty please edit out all but the point we want to respond to? These quotes of quotes of quotes are reducing some pages to a few posts & wearing out my scroll wheel!

And while I'm at it, please insert a carriage return/enter at the end of the quote before you start typing or this silly forum software will use the same small text of the quote for your post.

:type:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Crocodile said:
When responding to a point by quoting a post, can we pretty please edit out all but the point we want to respond to? These quotes of quotes of quotes are reducing some pages to a few posts & wearing out my scroll wheel!

And while I'm at it, please insert a carriage return/enter at the end of the quote before you start typing or this silly forum software will use the same small text of the quote for your post.

:type:

It really isn't reducing some pages to a few posts. Fifteen posts a page, every page.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
It really isn't reducing some pages to a few posts. Fifteen posts a page, every page.

Must have just seemed like it. I tend to bail out of threads when they descend into a sea of grey quote boxes.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Not sure why this topic is in the hifi section as it's nothing to do do with hifi.

In response to the op i don't see a problem with quoting it's a lot better than other forums and is easy to understand.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Not sure why this topic is in the hifi section as it's nothing to do do with hifi.

I kind of thought it would be more useful to post it where it will actually be seen.

simonlewis said:
In response to the op i don't see a problem with quoting it's a lot better than other forums and is easy to understand.
Really? Not singling out anyone in particular as lots of posters do it but this seems a little OTT when responding to a single post:

JoelSim said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
JoelSim said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
There is a huge difference in sound quality between a 320mbps file and a CD. I had Emily from Musical Fidelity round yesterday to demonstrate some new headphones and we tested the difference between CD and Spotify premium.

A/B test: both the Spotify file and the CD go through the DAC on my CDP, Same amp, same volume, same speakers.

Methodology: Fleetwood Mac track started simultaneously on Spotify and CD. Button on the back of the CDP to switch sources.

Result: Spotify, whilst fine sounded incredibly hollow and weedy compared to CD which was warmer, more involving, more detail, more soundstage.

It wasn't even a closely-run thing, there were immediate differences that would be clear to absolutely anyone listening. I've done this on quite a few different albums and the result is always the same.

Congratulations, you and Al are clearly fine examples of Homo superior.

In reality, there are differences between the Ogg Vorbis files on Spotify and accurate rips of exactly the same disc, but they are relatively modest, impossible to pick on some material and usually benign, ie slight losses that do not draw attention to themselves.

The test that you ran is, sadly, meaningless, there are far too many variables in your comparison to be able to conclude anything of consequence.

Too many variables? There was only one variable and that was the source. Everything else was identical, switch directly from one to another, no time lags, switch back, switch again, switch back.

Large differences.

How are you playing Spotify, is on your computer, Mac, streamer or what, what soundcard do you have, how is it set up, how are you connecting to your CD dac. As you can see there are still variables.

Dell Inspiron core i7. Streamed through Airport Express which is linked to the DAC on my CDP via the optical in. Quality cabling from the AE to the CDP.

I've also done the same thing on my MacBook, same results.

As Trev mentioned about cables which can give a 1 or 2% difference, this was more like 20% difference. Night & day.

So about another dozen or so variables to add to the list in my previous post...... :?

Quite frankly I would be pretty amazed if they sounded remotely the same.

In any test of this kind you have to remove as many variables as you can, you are not even close to doing that in this instance.

Quite so, it could well be the AEX or your computer, mixing windows and Apple does not always work, you may well find there are some hidden settings on your computer soundcard or in your computer that could make a difference. When I first started playing spotify it sounded rubbish when I delved deeper into the settings it improved greatly, so now on my set up its not much difference but its hard to know if the cd is the same as they are playing as again there are many versions, even from the same year. So don't think that all the 1984 Rumours cds sound the same they don't.

As I mentioned I have used an Apple and a PC, across many different titles. The outcome has always been the same. There is a hypothesis in there.

I'm not talking a small difference either, Emily was very surprised at the level of difference.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
simonlewis said:

I kind of thought it would be more useful to post it where it will actually be seen.

simonlewis said:
Really? Not singling out anyone in particular as lots of posters do it but this seems a little OTT when responding to a single post:

JoelSim said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
JoelSim said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
There is a huge difference in sound quality between a 320mbps file and a CD. I had Emily from Musical Fidelity round yesterday to demonstrate some new headphones and we tested the difference between CD and Spotify premium.

A/B test: both the Spotify file and the CD go through the DAC on my CDP, Same amp, same volume, same speakers.

Methodology: Fleetwood Mac track started simultaneously on Spotify and CD. Button on the back of the CDP to switch sources.

Result: Spotify, whilst fine sounded incredibly hollow and weedy compared to CD which was warmer, more involving, more detail, more soundstage.

It wasn't even a closely-run thing, there were immediate differences that would be clear to absolutely anyone listening. I've done this on quite a few different albums and the result is always the same.

In reality, there are differences between the Ogg Vorbis files on Spotify and accurate rips of exactly the same disc, but they are relatively modest, impossible to pick on some material and usually benign, ie slight losses that do not draw attention to themselves.

The test that you ran is, sadly, meaningless, there are far too many variables in your comparison to be able to conclude anything of consequence.

Too many variables? There was only one variable and that was the source. Everything else was identical, switch directly from one to another, no time lags, switch back, switch again, switch back.

Large differences.

How are you playing Spotify, is on your computer, Mac, streamer or what, what soundcard do you have, how is it set up, how are you connecting to your CD dac. As you can see there are still variables.

Dell Inspiron core i7. Streamed through Airport Express which is linked to the DAC on my CDP via the optical in. Quality cabling from the AE to the CDP.

As Trev mentioned about cables which can give a 1 or 2% difference, this was more like 20% difference. Night & day.

So about another dozen or so variables to add to the list in my previous post...... :?

In any test of this kind you have to remove as many variables as you can, you are not even close to doing that in this instance.

Quite so, it could well be the AEX or your computer, mixing windows and Apple does not always work, you may well find there are some hidden settings on your computer soundcard or in your computer that could make a difference. When I first started playing spotify it sounded rubbish when I delved deeper into the settings it improved greatly, so now on my set up its not much difference but its hard to know if the cd is the same as they are playing as again there are many versions, even from the same year. So don't think that all the 1984 Rumours cds sound the same they don't.

As I mentioned I have used an Apple and a PC, across many different titles. The outcome has always been the same. There is a hypothesis in there.

I'm not talking a small difference either, Emily was very surprised at the level of difference.

What's the problem?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
Crocodile said:
simonlewis said:

simonlewis said:

JoelSim said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
JoelSim said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:

Large differences.

What's the problem?

:rofl:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:
Crocodile said:
simonlewis said:

simonlewis said:

JoelSim said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
JoelSim said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:

Large differences.

What's the problem?

it is all nonsense, I dont believe a word of it........ :doh:

Joel knows a girl........ :O

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:
Crocodile said:
simonlewis said:

simonlewis said:

JoelSim said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:
BigH said:
JoelSim said:
davedotco said:
JoelSim said:

Large differences.

What's the problem?

it is all nonsense, I dont believe a word of it........ :doh:

Joel knows a girl........ :O

o.k...o.k this one got me..... we all know were this is going now, so this is my contribution....lol.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
simonlewis said:

This comment makes no sense, every part of the forum is as visible as any other. If people just used the "See all latest Posts" button you'd see everything (and there isn't so much going on here that it's not manageable).

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
The nested quoting on these forums is really crazy...among the worst I've come across I'd say, and to me is completely unnecessary, and very annoying ( often a posts consists of the equivalent of pages of nested quotes and then there's a two word reply? Yeah, great! ). I don't bother reading topics once they get too unwieldy, and who the heck wants to or would read all the useless nested 're quotes' over and over again anyway? Anyone following a thread will (or should) be aware of the context, and those that havent been folowing all the chit can (and probably should) establish context by reading the previous posts ...well I think that they should, but... And when replying the quote facility can be used to selectively draw focus to the part of the post being replied to, rather than 'every-ruddy-thing'. I think the problem here is often one of topic hijacking; a number of people on these forums regularly bound in and take things completely off topic. So it seems to me that it is neccessary for these people to keep their sub topic alive by requoting their sub topic over and over ad nauseum ....until the original poster's topic is obliterated.

TRENDING THREADS