Complete Overhaul

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
For quite a while now, I have been realizing that I don't get to make the best use of my AV setup. The primary reason is that I live in apartment building with very fussy neighbours. When the sub kicks in with a full impact during a movie, I tend to get angry phone calls over intercom. Also since I own this apartment, can't really move. So I have been considering moving to a full stereo setup.

For AV only, I have Onkyo RZ 800 Reciever, Wharfedale 10 CS center, Wharfedale rear (9.1 I think) and Infinity Ps 12 subwoofer. I have been trying to work out a deal with my local dealer where I give him the above mentioned AV items, throw in my Project Carbon (minus the cartridge) and add some money to get a Musical Fidelity MX DAC and Project Classic turntable. The main reason for getting the DAC would be to bypass the inhouse Marantz DAC and add some more to the chromecast which streams TIDAL HiFi. Also now it will be used to throw the sound of the TV (Netflix and Blu Ray mostly) to my stereo.

So what do you guys think? Makes sense?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
FahadAhmed said:
The primary reason is that I live in apartment building with very fussy neighbours.

So what do you guys think? Makes sense?

Headphones?

That's what my wife said when she could sense I am planning to spend extra money....but if I were that sensible....wouldn't be snooping around this forum now would I?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It's the subwoofer that produces the noise that your neighbours can hear. You first step should be to get rid of that ASAP. The rest of your system is fine (including the built in Marantz DAC) so there is no need to change anything else unless you just want change for changes sake.

Personally if I were in your situation I would try to get a part exchange on both the subwoofer and your Triton 5 speakers so that you can upgrade them to the slightly larger Triton 7 which will give you more bass than the Triton 5 on their own but will still be much less audible to your neighbours than your subwoofer currently is.

Also if you look in the settings on your AV receiver there will be a mode that reduces the maximum dynamic range. It will probably be called night mode or something like that. Turn this on whenever you watch a movie. Your neighbours will thank you for it.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Uh Steve..the voice of reason, came in too late I am afraid. Also, can't return, the new turntable was love at first listen *man_in_love*

Also I think my dealer sold off my AV receiver in an hour....wish I had that kind of connection!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts