Complete novice seeks help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've recently been given a Pro-ject Genie RPM1 MKII Turntable to start me off on my vinyl voyage. The only things is Ive got a fairly bog standard Sony Mini Hi-Fi system and as I understand it I won't be able to directly link the turntable up to the Hi-Fi. I think I need a phono pre-amplifier but I've sadly not got much of a budget (around £70). The Cambridge Audio Azur 640P looks good from the review (http://whathifi.com/Review/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-640P/Specs/) but I can't find it anywhere at the quoted price of £60. Richer Sounds seem to be the cheapest at £100. I guess my questions are:

1. Do I need a phono pre-amp?

2. Is the Cambridge Audio Azur 640P a decent one to get?

3. Does anyone know where to get it cheaper?

And then, once I've saved up a little cash, I'd like to start investing in some seperates but again I'm a bit clueless as to what I'd need. Is an amplifier, CD player, speakers and decent cables enough? Does anybody have any strong recommendations for amplifiers, CD players or speakers? I guess my budget would only ever run to about £1000.

Thanks so so much for your help. Sorry for being a complete amateur!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

not heard the 640p, but you could have a look at the NAD pp2 which i think is about £50 or £60. it's the one i have and i like it with my debut iii

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Go for the NAD PP1 or PP2 on eBay. Usually go for around £25 to £30 and TBH; there's no point in spending any more for your mini system

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Price hikes really are a reality - £100 for the 640p - ouch! I paid £70 in October/November (advertised price was £80 but got £10 off just by asking), and yes it was originally £60 only a few months before that. That's a 66% price rise in only 6 months or so!

It is a great amp though... alternatives are the NAD (as fast eddie has already mentioned) and Pro-ject do one around the same price too...ÿ

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:For a sony mini, get the Vivanco Phono amp from Richer sounds for £20 - it'll do you fine...I was thinking the nad might last a bit longer with the planned upgrades also mentioned ?

A

Anonymous

Try the Rega fono mini - it's about the £55 mark and it's better than the NAD and the Pro-ject.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:Try the Rega fono mini - it's about the £55 mark and it's better than the NAD and the Pro-ject.

have u tried both to conclude that Rega fono is better than Nad? I'm also planning on buying a phono pre-amp and might take your advice :)

A

Anonymous

Yes, I have all three in fact. With my setup (Rega 2/AT120) the Rega is quite a bit better, really opens the music out. Of the other 2, I thought the Pro-ject better than the NAD, but there wasn't a lot in it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts