Complete IPod novice..

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
As the title suggests I am a complete novice where the IPod is concerned.....I don't actually have one but i'm about to take the plunge! Several questions....

1. Which is the best? I will mainly use it at home plugged in to my Pioneer Amp, sound quality is my main priority.

2.Sound quality...apart from ITunes where can I get music from which will be of a high quality 'bit' wise?

3. Can I rip cd's on to it?

4.I have a big collection of home made cd's which have mp3's on.....can I convert these and put them on an IPod and, if so, how?? I have a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks!!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
If you have no interest in video MP4 the classic will do otherwise a Touch

Don't think Itunes does quality above 320kbps but a Google will give you high quality downloads from the likes of Linn etc.

Yes you can rip cd's via Itunes or another media player or via EAC (exact audio copy) them import them. Lots of ways to do it.

Files on a Ipod dont need to be Apple lossless or whatever it will play MP3 so you coiuld just import them. Obviously a lossy file AAC/FLAC (IPod doesn't play FLAC) will use up more space but be better quality.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
kena:

Don't think Itunes does quality above 320kbps but a Google will give you high quality downloads from the likes of Linn etc.

It does. As long as you are in the right format. I have hundreds of CDs ripped to Apple Lossless at around 1000kbps plus some HD files at 4600 kbps. iTunes on computer will play them all but the iPhone will not play the HD tracks. I assume the pod/touch will be similar.

scene

With iTunes 10 (9.3+ I think) you can rip to Apple lossless and then when you synch to your iPod you can get the synch to transcode to MP3 (128/320 - can't remember, I'm not at home to check).

The PC that you run iTunes on can be set up to autorip any CD put in it into iTunes, and download the cover art - but beware of Collections, or Greatest Hits if you do this - they have a habit of all getting bundled together, and might need to be unpicked...

Classic gives more audiophile output (less noisy electronics). Touch has the advantage of all those nice HiFi gadget controlling apps, like for the Sonos, latest Pioneers, etc.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I downloaded the app onto my touch it is very smooooth lovely to work dont know if you would actually use all the features that often. Then imagine you had ipad!! oooooooohhhhhhhhh!! If you get a touch download it. It has a demo feature on it. I sadly cant see pioneer going back to produce an app for their older models, would be nice though

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy:Nothing
emotion-21.gif

Cheers John....do you use yours through the Pioneer?

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Have done. The supplied lead is a nice touch, a nice sound. My ipod- original 32gb touch tends to lie in cars/vehicles. Pity there is no nice album coverflow on the screen when hooked up to the amp just song/album. Better than nothing i suppose but not as good as front row through the macbook. which i use for 99% of my listening just now till i get a blu ray

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
grdunn123:
john1000000boy:Hey there looked into any bluray players yet??

I haven't had a chance...still waiting to see how the new Pioneer shapes up.
Was bidding yesterday on a 52 missed out by £5!!!!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy:grdunn123:
john1000000boy:Hey there looked into any bluray players yet??

I haven't had a chance...still waiting to see how the new Pioneer shapes up.

Was bidding yesterday on a 52 missed out by £5!!!!
emotion-6.gif

The 52 is a good player then? haven't read up on it yet. What about the 53??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts