Comparing two Pioneer CDPs from different decades

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Or is that Comparing Pioneer CDPs from two different decades? Anyway, I digress.

DSCF0961.jpg

Hang on, I've only just installed the D6 this afternoon! Will report back later. First impressions are the D6 handles low bass better and is a nice grey colour. ;o)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Consider this my formal application to be a reviewer on WHF.

Another immediate observation was both Pioneer remotes operate both players, so that has been fun and games watching one drawer open while the other one closes, etc. It took me a while to load one disc in one player and through trial and error I found the best way was to catch one unawares by pretending to walk away and then quickly turning and zapping it! Anyway, that small hiccup out of the way, at least it gave me chance to compare the two drawer mechanisms and I can now report that the S8021 goes brrrrrrrrrrrrr shuckt, while the D6 is set to a higher pitch and goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr shuckt but an octave and a half higher. I guess you'll have to use your imagination on that one. It was a worthwhile observation though as the D6 boasts the Legato Link Pro, er... thingy, which obviously accounts for the higher pitch.

More pearls of wisdom to follow.

A

Anonymous

reply for andrewknight no thats the stable platter mechanism

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ta, I wondered if it might be something along those lines, lovely looking piece of kit. Anyone know what chipset it uses? Dac and opamps.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
chunky70:This pioneer uses the PD2028 dac.I use the pd-s705 with a beresford dac,excellent sound as a transport!

Agree - I use a pd-s705 as a transport with an old Cambridge Dacmagic 2 MkII. What a bargain - £39 - in mint condition on eBay - these Pioneer's are one of the best steals around at the moment.

I have stood my Pioneer on a Tesco granite chopping board stood on squash balls in castor cups. I have lined the inside of the Pioneer case with Dynamat sound deadening. This is a cracking combination.

A

Anonymous

theadmans:

Agree - I use a pd-s705 as a transport with an old Cambridge Dacmagic 2 MkII. What a bargain - £39 - in mint condition on eBay - these Pioneer's are one of the best steals around at the moment.

paid £3 for my son's at a carboot .... boxed, instructions, cables etc ... reads all disks, even if they are scratched/damaged

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I thought this had died a death after dropping to page four so quickly yesterday. So far the jury is still out as that annual Christmas event shenanigan keeps interupting my listening opportunities. :(

I will say though that with some recordings so far the 801 is too bass heavy (Madonna's Substitute for Love for one) but is strangely easier to listen to for a longer period. Hopefully Saturday will offer me more time for a longer session.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
An update: I've sent the PD-D6-J back as it was cosmetically damaged so can't do the comparison now. I'm quite happy with the S801 player.

TRENDING THREADS