Compact separates

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
hi

As space is at a premium I am looking for quality CD player and amp that don't take up much space.

Looked at Cyrus but pricey!

Any recommendations? They will replace my 20 year old Audio Analogue Puccini amp and Rotel RCD991 CD player.

n

nopiano said:
What budget? The new Exposure models are smaller than typical, as are Marantz's HD Amp range. Project make lots of smaller items too.

Good call on the new Exposure XM but as far as I am aware they don't do a CD player yet.

If Cyrus was pricey maybe the Exposure is too. Would be nice to know budget..

P.S. Just noticed there are two threads the same going on here.....

bignige said:
£700 for both CD player and amp total.

will I get units as good as what I already have for that budget?

The Pucini amp was very good so will it be better? Only you can answer that. Are you looking at new or possibly second-hand?

What other inputs do you need on the system apart from phono input for CD player? I was thinking along the lines of the Audiolab M-Power amp and CD player if you can find them.

bignige said:
£700 for both CD player and amp total.

will I get units as good as what I already have for that budget?
Used Cyrus might be the best bet then, though some of their CD players aren't renowned for their reliability I believe. I can see Cyrus 8 amps and CD players on eBay for about £350 each.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
there is currently a cd box s going for £100 on ebay (current bid) leaving plenty of budget left for a matching amp or even a pre-power combo, again plenty of choice on ebay.

*music2*

rainsoothe

Does "small" mean half-width? You might find a Naim Unitilite in that budget (or slightly higher), and you get a very capable (imo) all-in-one (cd player, streamer, amp and even FM tuner if it has that particular module installed).

rainsoothe said:
Does "small" mean half-width? You might find a Naim Unitilite in that budget (or slightly higher), and you get a very capable (imo) all-in-one (cd player, streamer, amp and even FM tuner if it has that particular module installed).
Nice idea, but I think the Unitiqute is the half width one, and that has no CD player. The full width Unitilite does!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
rainsoothe said:
Nice idea, but I think the Unitiqute is the half width one, and that has no CD player. The full width Unitilite does!

[/quote

I think Rainsoothe is querying the flexibility of the OP. The Unitilite might have a fuller width but its approx only half the height of a Cambridge amp I also have (and a Denon CD player)

So (in effect) it is a quarter of the size of those two componenets. And it does so much more - streamer and FM capability too.

If it's shoeboxes side by side I suppose it's Mission or Denon micro.

cheers wiggy

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned the mini Teac Reference series in your other thread.

Also, depending on how wedded you are to CDs, you could do away with a physical player altogether and could rip them and stream them instead. This process could take a long time, so you might want to subscribe to a streaming service for a year or so while you go about it ;)

tonky said:
nopiano said:
rainsoothe said:

[/quote

I think Rainsoothe is querying the flexibility of the OP. The Unitilite might have a fuller width but its approx only half the height of a Cambridge amp I also have (and a Denon CD player)

So (in effect) it is a quarter of the size of those two componenets. And it does so much more - streamer and FM capability too.

cheers wiggy

I think, if using the English language correctly, then the OPs request for 'compact' would imply he is looking for something other than full-width otherwise I would have used the term 'slim' but that's just my thoughts.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The OP stated compact - does not necessarily mean half width - he may have said that otherwise? (half width) - He did state - less space - in which case the Unitilite might possibly fit the bill. As it's a bit of an "all in one" it does offer everything he needs and more beside.

It's a - half height option - which probably takes up "less space" than "two compact shoeboxes" side by side.

I wish the OP well in his choice and maybe he could let us know what he chooses and why. - it's all up to you bignige

cheers tonky

rainsoothe

tonky said:
nopiano said:
rainsoothe said:

[/quote

cheers wiggy

indeed, thank you for the clarification, and it also keeps box and cable count down. I would've suggested the UQ, but no CD player there, so it would still add up, and not meet the matching aesthetics requirement (unless OP would consider using the digital out of a blu-ray player into a Uinitqute's DAC).

The Unitiqute would've been my first suggestion, as I know one can find these within OP's budget.

Cheers

rainsoothe said:
tonky said:
nopiano said:
rainsoothe said:

[/quote

cheers wiggy

indeed, thank you for the clarification, and it also keeps box and cable count down. I would've suggested the UQ, but no CD player there, so it would still add up, and not meet the matching aesthetics requirement (unless OP would consider using the digital out of a blu-ray player into a Uinitqute's DAC).

The Unitiqute would've been my first suggestion, as I know one can find these within OP's budget.

Cheers

And the Naim Unitilite that you cannot. Fail to understand why it was mentioned in the first place really.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:
tonky said:
nopiano said:
rainsoothe said:

[/quote

cheers wiggy

Cheers

And the Naim Unitilite that you cannot. Fail to understand why it was mentioned in the first place really.

because one MIGHT find one within (or close to) OP's budget, and it's a great unit from a brand which at least should be on any audition list (imo). I mean usually there is some flexibility, and it's not like I suggested Statement or Mark Levinson kind of stuff, did I now?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had no reliability issues with my CD6 - these are very cheap when they come up on eBay, and I also own a Cyrus 5 amp which has been flawless from the day i bought it just a touch over 16 years ago. Again, when these come up on eBay, they are very cheap.

If you're prepared to chance your arm on the older models, you should be able to pick up and amp and cd player for £300 or so, I would imagine.

How they'd compare to your existing kit, I have no idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts